PDA

View Full Version : Newest Members: "THE" Gavin Stoddart?

Heli-um Piper
12-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I just finished piping a medley of tunes which included "Ladies of the Alamo" and an arrangement of Bonnie Lass of Fyvie with Star of Robbie Burns sent to me by Major Stoddart himself from his very successful 2000 Millenium Tattoo march-in.

Seeing his name on the "Newest Members" marquee, I wanted to give him a hearty welcome to this forum and community.

keydetpiper
12-02-2007, 06:35 AM
I believe it is indeed THE Gavin Stoddart, MBE. If you've never met him he's a heck of a nice guy and is a great storyteller.

Piper McScrooge
12-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Absolutely, I could listen to him play and tell stories for hours. Couldn't meet a nicer person.

Steve

Piper McScrooge
12-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Also one heck of an instructor!

Steve

Paul Ouellette
12-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I've always wanted to ask Maj. Stoddart just who Murdo was...& is he/she still married ?? :wink:

Perhaps if he reads this, he might finally tell me (& the rest of us here) the story of how the tune came to be named.

Our band (The Scottish Society of Windsor P/B) made our way up from gr'3 to gr'1 using Murdo's Wedding as our "set the chanters" tune & always found that it was an excellent choice for this purpose.

Also, as said above...it's quite nice to see chaps of his caliber here with us...& I'm glad to join in the chous to sound the welcome as well.

Gavin Stoddart
12-06-2007, 05:18 AM
OK here goes; “Murdo Murray hails from Laxdale, a small village on the outskirts of Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. He was a member of the Edinburgh City Police Pipe Band playing the tenor drum. Murdo’s police beat passed my father's bagpipe shop in the Lawnmarket close to Edinburgh Castle and was a regular visitor. He asked my father to play at his wedding and to compose a tune. I had been working on a composition around this time but couldn’t find a suitable start to the second measure. My father heard me at this and came up with a 2 bar phrase that suited well. Murdo Murray married Catherine Anne McIver on the 17th March 1964 in Stornoway - hence the name ‘Murdo’s Wedding’. Murdo retired as an Inspector and lives in Edinburgh.” Hope this has answered your question and thank you for your welcome.

Curt
12-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Thank you for sharing that story. I play the tune all the time.

Thanks again.

Roger Huth
12-06-2007, 06:50 AM
'Murdo's Wedding' plays it's part in one of our Aldershot evening class 4/4 sets;

'Murdo's Wedding', 'Crags of Tumbledown' and 'Wings'

Good to know the story behind the title. Thanks for that.

Roger

Davey Armstrong
12-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I love to hear the story behind tunes. Awesome....Thanks Mr. Stoddart!

Davey

Robin Hale-Cooper
12-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Is there a good source (book, website, etc.) that has the origins of and stories behind pipe tunes?

okstatepiper
12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Always nice to hear the story behind a tune and it's name. Particully when it is from the actual composer. Now, this makes the tune alive and gives me reason to look the tune up and begin the long journey to make it "mine". Welcome to the forum Gavin Stoddard! It is so good for use newbies far across the waters to be able to touch the long history of our art.

John Haack
12-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks!

WileyBagpipes
12-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I am happy to see that many new composers are adding the little tune stories to their books. I think if anyone could compile a book of stories for the "auld barracks tunes" that would be neat!

Glazenn
12-08-2007, 07:43 AM
'Murdo's Wedding' plays it's part in one of our Aldershot evening class 4/4 sets: 'Murdo's Wedding', 'Crags of Tumbledown' and 'Wings'. Good to know the story behind the title. Thanks for that.
Roger
We also had it as an opener for a 4/4 set in my (former) pipeband in Dubai, followed by: 'Thomas Sander', 'Loch Ruan', and 'PM Bob Martin'. A very very nice set indeed, always a pleasure to play, thanks to our PM's choice. :sick: And thanks to Major Gavin, too! :thumb: