PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm MacRae's Bagpipe

PMT
11-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Having Malcolm MacRae stay for the weekend, he could not escape without having his bagpipe photographed. He kindly consented to a small article at school of piping (http://www.schoolofpiping.com) , and you can now see his magnificent 1934 set of Henderson Bagpipes on the instruments section of the articles page.

Worth a look. I hope you enjoy!

Heatherbelle
11-09-2008, 06:45 AM
It's very nice to see the pictures of Malcom's bagpipe. A few years ago there was an opportunity to have lessons with him at the Piping Centre, and when I tried to book three during a week, I was told I could have the three but they would be all on one day.
And so at a small table, for three hours, with a simple tape recorder I had the great priviledge of hearing Malcolm talk about, and then sing The Desperate Battle and Catherine's Lament- right through with all the variations. That was really one of the highlights of my experiences with bagpipes, to date.

Its nice then to hear and see a bit more of the man and the instrument behind that music I heard that day.

Michael Flemming
11-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Does anyone have any info about recordings made by Malcolm MacRae? He has a track on the World's Greatest Pipers anthology CD but is one of very few players on that CD not to have a full WGP recording. IIRC the only other is Donald MacLeod, for whom a number of other recordings are available.

PMT
11-09-2008, 02:58 PM
There are some recordings around. I have one with all piobaireachd, no light music. I do not think it is still available though. I have many recordings of him singing, there may be a CD available of when he performed at the R U Brown Recitals. I will ask for you.

cheers

PMT
11-13-2008, 03:14 PM
I have not been able to find Malcolm's recording currently available anywhere!