PDA

View Full Version : Grade 5 Band Scores

Iain Mac Harg
01-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Does anyone have a score for a little 4/4 called Crusader's March? Thanks

Spunky
01-26-2002, 06:16 PM
Brrrr-rat-ta-ta-tat, brrrr-rat-ta-ta-tat, brrrr-rat-ta-tat, tat-ta-tat tat-ta-tat-tat.
Hope this helps. :D

Kilroy
01-26-2002, 09:50 PM
So anyways,

I don't have a score for this but if you can send me the pipe music I'll write you one up.
brittrocker@yahoo.com

:( :) :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :wink:
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Kilroy ]

Drew McPheeters
01-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Iain Mac Harg:
Does anyone have a score for a little 4/4 called Crusader's March? Thanks

At a grade 5 level (and even grade 4), a well played mass bands setting, or busker is often as good as a custom score.

Just something to consider.

Paul Wood
01-29-2002, 01:45 PM
At a grade 5 level (and even grade 4), a well played mass bands setting, or busker is often as good as a custom score.

I have to disagree with Drew on this one. No matter how many times I hear someone say this, I still can't help but think having your own score which is written specifically for a tune is worlds better. It doesn't have to be anything more difficult than say the Canadian massed bands buskers but just something that isn't the same old thing. While I understand the argument of keep it simple stupid, I don't agree with keeping it mundane. Another thought is now that the EUSPBA judges ensemble, having something that complements the tune would be in the bands best interests.

Paul :cool:

Drew McPheeters
01-29-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by PWood73:

I have to disagree with Drew on this one. No matter how many times I hear someone say this, I still can't help but think having your own score which is written specifically for a tune is worlds better. It doesn't have to be anything more difficult than say the Canadian massed bands buskers but just something that isn't the same old thing. While I understand the argument of keep it simple stupid, I don't agree with keeping it mundane. Another thought is now that the EUSPBA judges ensemble, having something that complements the tune would be in the bands best interests.

Paul :cool:

Well, the proof is in the pudding. :wink:

We won the Grade 4 aggregate drumming at Pleasanton last year, and the Quick March Medley had 2 tunes of buskers. Granted, they were a little more difficult than the PPBSO mass band settings.

And 2 years ago, we placed 2nd both days at Pleasanton, and we actually did had a similar story.

YMMV

:)

Pete Walen
01-30-2002, 05:17 AM
In Grade V, and in Grade IV, WHAT is played by the back row is not nearly as important as HOW it is played. A simple score played cleanly - absolutely spot on - will win the day over a more complex score played poorly.

If you can get a score built of combining 2-bar phrases built around a common statement and conclusion (which is all that the PPBSO and other massed bands scores are) that flows well with the pipe tune and play the daylights out of it - play it together with good unison, good dynamic range and some musical sense - you will make a favorable impression on the judges.

Now, if there are two corps that play very well indeed, where their technical execution is at the same standard and musical interpretation is at the same standard, the corps that plays the more difficult score will get the nod. That is a highly unlikely situation at the lower grades except at major contests where there are simply many more bands than at the average association contest.

Regards -