PDA

View Full Version : Sad tunes....

Kil'Jaeden
08-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi All.
I'm looking for any "sad" tunes to learn. Any suggestions?

Mikolo
08-28-2005, 04:01 PM
How about Highland Cathedral?

Kil'Jaeden
08-28-2005, 04:07 PM
I know it already, but thanks anyway. I know Amazing Grace (shudder), Mingulay Boat Song, McCrimmon Will Never Return, Highland Cradle, Piper's Waltz, and a couple others I can't remember (quick brainstorm).

Aaron M
08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
If played right, Dark Island can bring a tear to some people... (or if played incredibly bad also).

Bob Sandwick
08-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Flowers of the Forest

Oft on a Stilly Night

Sleep, Dearie, Sleep

Mac Aindri˙
08-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Ar ╔irinn nÝ neosfainn cÚ hÝ ( For Ireland I will not tell her name )

Bill Mac Aindri˙

Phil Lenihan
08-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Bells of Dunbane and Dream Angus

Cheers! PHIL

Karl Chang
08-29-2005, 04:17 AM
Farewell to Nigg and The Haunting are both pretty sad.

Emmet Bondurant
08-29-2005, 04:36 AM
McPherson's Lament, Flight of the Eaglets, Ranger's Lament, Drummer's Lost, Far From Their Home

Scott McClellan
08-29-2005, 04:59 AM
Add "The Mist Covered Mountains" to the above.

piob player
08-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Mist Covered Mountains was played by , I think, the Scot's Guards, at Kennedy's funeral.
Learn the some grounds of piobaireachds. Lament for the Children is very sad, especially if you know the story.

SerialKilter.
08-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Dream Weaver has always been a tear jerker for me.. :D

here is a couple others

Hero's of Kohima
For Ireland I'll not tell her name
Men of Erin

Piob Player, actually I believe it was the Black Watch that played Mist covered Mountains at Kennedy's funeral.

Macswegan
08-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Lord Lovat's Lament. I first heard it on the 78th Frasers' "Live in Ireland" CD. What a lovely tune that is.

Utah Joe
08-29-2005, 12:01 PM
I'd go with Mist Covered Mountains or Lord Lovat's Lament, played slowly with open doublings. Strange thing, LLL it can be quite a snappy tune played as a march. Maybe it's just sad the way I play it....

I second what Maswegan said, the version on 78th Fraser's CD is spectacular. It's one of the tunes that inspired me to learn pipes.

Joe

Kil'Jaeden
08-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks a lot, for all your replies! Much appreciated!

John Buchanan
08-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Kintail.

I haven't tried to play this yet, but the Tannahill Weavers have version that just kills me every time.

SerialKilter.
08-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Strange thing, LLL it can be quite a snappy tune played as a march. Maybe it's just sad the way I play it....
I play Lord Lovats similar to the way its on the 78th's CD however, I actually prefer it as a march. It is quite a snappy tune.

SerialKilter.
08-29-2005, 12:34 PM
I should clarify my above statement by saying that I "attempt" to play it similar to the way its on the CD.. :D

Iain Sherwood
08-29-2005, 12:52 PM
'Mist Covered Mountains' was played by The Black Watch at Kennedy's funeral. Only time a British unit has marched in an American President's funeral procession.

The original USAF Pipe Band under Sandy Jones played at the graveside.

And there's nothing sadder than trhe Lament For The Children.

Retired.
08-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Serial,
The 78th's play it both slow (soloist) and uptempo (full band) on their Live in Ireland CD.

SerialKilter.
08-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Serial,
The 78th's play it both slow (soloist) and uptempo (full band) on their Live in Ireland CD.
Yes, I know. :thumb:

And a fine version it is

piob player
08-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the info that it was the Black Watch. Remembered the tune and that it was an overseas military band but wasn't sure which one.Every time I teach that tune, I can still see them playing it.

Hebrew Highlander
08-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Hmmm...
Kil'Jaeden, I think you can play many slow tunes without worrying they sound a little too "happy". There's no need to look specifically for a minor key, as these keys tend to "clash" with the drones and create an unpleasant feeling. I think most slow tunes can suit a sad occasion quite well, if played slowly with much expression.

You might want to try a Piob urlar. I'd go for a slow air though. Kintail is great. Loch Rannoch would make a good choice too. I love Gruagach og an Fhuilt Bhain, aka Fair Maid of Barra. It's performed beautifully by Angus McColl on "The Clan McColl".

erracht
08-30-2005, 06:57 AM
Dream Valley of Glendaruel, The Sands of Kuwait, and "Will You Go, Lassie, Go?" as played on the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards CD "Highland Cathedral" can sound quite sad.

Also, the following hymns: Nearer, My God to Thee, Faith of our Fathers, Crimond, By Cool Siloam┤s Shady Hill, In the Sweet Bye and Bye

Col C
08-31-2005, 08:23 AM
From conflicting resources. Hence, I wouldn't bet a large of money on accuracy of following comments.
"The Mist Covered Mountains" played by USAF P&D(stationed at Bolling Field) at Gravsite in Arlington National Cemetery. Music played while slow marching down the slope past the actual burial site and assembled Honor Guard(s).
Black Watch. A contingent of pipers played at special request of Mrs. Kennedy. Various bits if info, printed and TV, indicate that it was a static performance playe at White House West(?) Entrance earlier in the day when Mrs. Kennedy and family, family and high ranking offical mourners moved by foot from White House North Portico to the cathedral. Note: It must not have been the current "national cathedral" as it is way up Wisconsin Ave.towards Chevy Chase. One of tunes played was the "Barren Rocks of Aden". I have seen one TV documentary where sound track includes this tune but Video doesn't show pipers. I realize that sound technicians/editors often use different sound tracks-whatever is availible,the Longest Day comes to mind, but I did find a web site(UK origin) that listed tunes played by the Black Watch. There were a half dozen or so of mixed time signatures including the Barren Rocks. It was almost like a comp medley which would support other info that it was a static(in place) performance.
I imagine that the older members of the Forum remember that the full Pipes and Drums and Dancers put on a complete program on the White House lawn some two weeks before the asassination. It was apparently this performance that prompted Mrs. Kennedy to request their participation at the funeral. Since I was in RVN at the time I wasn't there so don't really know in a first hand since. My brother was, serving as one of the military aides for former Pres. Eisenhower and he was too busy keeping a safe separation between Ike and Harry Truman. They arrarently didn't like each other worth a damn but I was told later that both men rose to the occassion and were very civil to each other in the manner one would expect of former Presidents. Ex. Following the Cathedral service a snafu developed regarding the motorcade to the cemetery. One of the two ex-Presidents limo wasn't where it was supposed to be-I think it was Trumans'- Ike', or whoever, immediatey rose to the occassion and offered a ride in his limo-which was graciously accepted in the same spirit as the offer was made. Thus avoiding a bad situation and saving some military aides from loosing substantial chunks of their ass.

Michael F. Bell
08-31-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Col C:
From conflicting resources. Hence, I wouldn't bet a large of money on accuracy of following comments.
...earlier in the day when Mrs. Kennedy and family, family and high ranking offical mourners moved by foot from White House North Portico to the cathedral. Note: It must not have been the current "national cathedral" as it is way up Wisconsin Ave.towards Chevy Chase. The National Cathedral is not Catholic, it is Episcopal. The funeral was held at St. Matthews Cathedral, which is a few blocks from the White House.

B.A. MacRobie
08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
MacGregor of Ruara, played in free rhythm with open doublings.

Col C
08-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Michael Bell,
Thanks for additional more specific info. For all the years I lived in theb greater D.C. area, it was a long time ago-like the early 40s and just about all of the 50s- some things I just don't remember very well.

hornpiper
09-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Top Deck in Perth, found in the philharmonic collection

Zebedee
09-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Finlay McRae (sp?) played nice and slow...
Victoria Harbour
Bonnie Portmore

and while I'm at it anyone know where to find sheet music for MacGregors Search as played by Hamish Moore on Stepping on the Bridge?

Keir Todd
09-03-2005, 05:44 AM
Dear Colleagues,
IMHO any tune can be sad, happy, doleful, spirited, bold, drap, whatever. Nietzsche said "There are no moral phenomena, only moral interpretations of phenomena." The emotion is evoked in the mind of the listener, irrespective of the tune and that can happen with any piece of music,
Best,
Keir

McKeown101
09-10-2005, 10:47 AM
O Gin I Were a Baron's Heir. That tune can be sad to some.

Frank W
09-10-2005, 12:16 PM
O' Danny Boy ...... For an Irishman nothing brings a tear faster.

Jeanne
09-10-2005, 01:40 PM
The Carles wi' the Breeks, if played slowly, can be a haunting little tune. When I first started learning it, the melody got stuck in my head almost immediately.

Sruthair
09-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Lochaber No More. That is the saddest of the sad.

burp birl
09-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Massacre of Glencoe is another good choice

jasonb
09-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Sad one is 'The King of Love My Shepherd is' - found in Catholic Hymnals / Christian Hymnals. Recoreded as tune 'St Columba'. Very sad especially with the 2nd's in. I use it at most funerals. Touching and opens them tear glands [a good or bad thing depending on cultural views, methinks].

AndrewMac
09-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I don't know whether it qualifies as "sad" exactly, but Togail Curs Air Leodhas (Setting a Course for Lewis) will always bring a tear to my eye, much in the way that Chi Mi Na Morbheanna does, whether played on Highland pipes or pib uilleann.

Rich Mayo
09-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Somebody might've already mentioned it, but the tune, "Dunblane" is simply awesome. Sad tune, sad subject.

You can hear it on CoW's Scottish Rant CD and finding a BMW file on-line is pretty easy as well.

Cowal_Lad
09-30-2005, 04:48 PM
'Loch Duich", and "Tommy Tully's Air",are slow and quite sad if played right,even "Leaving Lismore"if slowed down a little...................

CreekNation
09-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Loch Duich is certainly a real beauty. Tasteful seconds on it are totally tear jerking.

JES
10-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Zebedee:

Book Tunename Page Tunetype Signature First Pub. Composer

MacLeod,Donald - Tutor MacGregor's Search 53 Slow March 3|4 1960 Cameron,A.Jr.(Setting)

Cheers,

bagoong
10-04-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Col C:
Entrance earlier in the day when Mrs. Kennedy and family, family and high ranking offical mourners moved by foot from White House North Portico to the cathedral. Note: It must not have been the current "national cathedral" as it is way up Wisconsin Ave.towards Chevy Chase.Historical note: Funeral mass was held at the Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. Matthews, a few blocks up from the White House.

Michael F. Bell
10-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Yea, I already said that above

Noel Costilow
10-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Has everyone forgotten Glengarry's Lament???? :shrug: :shrug:

Piob Mhor
10-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Here's a few:

Flowers of the Forest
Down by the Sally Gardens
Fair Maid of Barra

ifpiper
10-07-2005, 11:19 AM
100% Irish and I hate Danny Boy.

irishpiper66
10-07-2005, 11:24 AM
also 100% Irish - don't necessarily hate Danny Boy, but there are some beautiful - sad tunes out there that don't seem to be overplayed

Highland Harry
10-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ifpiper:
100% Irish and I hate Danny Boy. You have every right to be, the lyrics were written by an English Lawyer, and Danny was his dog. Learned this from a history buff!

Not sure how it became associated with Irish Culture, maybe a Hollywood thing?

CreekNation
10-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Danny Boy on pipes is a transposed abomination. You gotta hire a good Irish tenor to do that tune justice (as a sappy sentimental ballad).

piping_candy
05-22-2007, 09:51 AM
alot of what the tunes mentioned are really good,

also some not mentioned,

Song for the smallpipes( with seconds)
Steal away,
the unknown soldier
Mrs. Joy Cairns
For Ireland I'd not tell her name(already mentioned but it's just so unbeleivable for a slow air)
Though they can all be the same tempo you have to find the tempo on your own so that it fits in perfectly and doesn't drag, than it sounds boring when it does so.

Ken Maxwell
05-22-2007, 09:32 PM
I usually play "Going Home" at some time during a funeral.Very slow & very sad. Also Mist Covered Mountain.
Especially if the departing one is a friend or relative.

Iain Sherwood
05-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Briagh Loch Eil
Old Woman's Lullaby - also known as Seaforth's Lament

jcsayre
05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
MacNeil's Farewell to Barra.
The Little Spree.

The two saddest tunes I know.

Charlie Rutan
05-23-2007, 11:10 AM
"Theid mi dhachaidh 'chro` chinn t-saille"

(Scots Guards V.2, pg 120)

Im not sure if its the same 'Kintail' mentioned above,
but I am sure for me, it's the saddest pipe tune I know.

Son of Cam
05-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Come on, the saddest tune ever is Loch Duich, especially when TV John played it for Hamish McBeth's "deid dug" Wee Jock!

Sctick aside, it is an absolutely lovely tune.

Klondike Waldo
05-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Conner:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by ifpiper:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> 100% Irish and I hate Danny Boy. You have every right to be, the lyrics were written by an English Lawyer, and Danny was his dog. Learned this from a history buff!

Not sure how it became associated with Irish Culture, maybe a Hollywood thing? </span></div></div>There is another thread on this, and the dog story is, well, a shaggy dog story

Piper Mum
05-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Samantha's Lullaby is a poignant slow air.

Ron Teague
05-23-2007, 09:27 PM
"Her smile will last for ever"-a tune for Joy Cairns by Ozzie Reid
"I'll remember Tara"- a tune Archie composed for his little girl who died
"Sorrow" a tune Archie wrote after the loss of his wife Joy.

Now for piobaireachd:

1/2 of all ceol mor tunes including:

Lament for the Children
His Fathers Lament for Donald MacKenzie
Lament for Donald Ban MacCrimmon
Lament for Patrick Og MacCrimmon
Lament for the Dead
A Pipers Warning to His Master
and about a 100 more

Will ye no come back again?

Cheers

owendnash
05-24-2007, 02:13 AM
Like Piper Mum i think "Samantha's Lullaby" is one of the saddest pipe tunes ever. As a baby Samantha was fostered by Mr and Mrs Arthur Gillies, their intention was to eventually adopt her, but on her 14th birthday, her real mother came and took her back, as a result Arthur wrote this haunting melody.

mckmcc
05-24-2007, 05:17 AM
Kyle Duffie's Lullaby by John Patrick. This is a new tune he wrote this year. It was played on BBC radio's Pipeline this week. A moving piece of music.