PDA

View Full Version : "The Call to Post" music

grantpark
01-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know if the "Call to Post" bugle blast that they play at hourse races can be played on the Bagpipes?
and where would I find the music? :shrug:

Klondike Waldo
01-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Find a Bugling Merit Badge book at your local BSA office. I believe the tune is correctly called "Assembly"

JES
01-15-2006, 11:20 AM
The name is the same but I suspect there the similarity ends.

Book Tunename Page Tunetype Signature Parts First Pub. CD Chapter CD Page

Brigade Book of Irish (Ceol Sean CD) Assembly March 1949 2 10
Cowal Collection (Ceol Sean CD) Assembly,The March 6|8 2 1932 1 5
Cowal Collection - Bk1 MacLellan,John A. Assembly,The 5 March 6|8 2 1905

Cheers,

Airborne92
01-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Just tried it on the PC. Sounds OK, but not great. Low A, F, High A (three notes), F (three notes), D, F, D, Low A, D, F, High A (three notes), F, Low A (three notes), D.
Grace notes as you like them.

SCK

McThistle
01-17-2006, 11:05 AM
The tune played at the horse race is "First Call", used prior to "Assembly"

All the standard bugle calls will fit the pipe scale. Reveille, Assembly, To the Colors, Mess Call, Swim Call, Retreat, Taps etc.

I really enjoy playing Reveille at 06:30 am at
Scout camp. This, after the kids have been talking until 02:00 am keeping me awake.

Pat Farrell
01-18-2006, 10:48 AM
The tune's also known as "Boots and Saddles", I believe, in the cavalry. I've played "Mess Call" before going into "Bannocks of Barley Meal" and "Brose and Butter" as the lead-in to a dinner or two: nobody caught the allusion but once.

It would be fun if someone would set all of these bugle calls to the pipes and post them, and let's not leave out the UK bugle calls, such as the great "Last Post" (the UK's equivalent to "Taps") and so forth. Heck, this is supposed to be a multinational forum, right?

Cheers, Pat

Airborne92
01-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by McThistle:
I really enjoy playing Reveille at 06:30 am at Scout camp. This, after the kids have been talking until 02:00 am keeping me awake. ________________________________________________

Oh, man, I wish I'd thought of that at the last campout! Next one for sure...INSIDE the cabin!

SCK

Les Matheson
01-19-2006, 09:46 AM
U.S. Army page:

http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/

ANZAC page with Last Post:

http://www.anzacday.org.au/miscellaneous/sheetmusic.html