PDA

View Full Version : How many pipers in the world

Howard Cox
12-13-2004, 06:24 AM
Whenever I find myself telling some one that I play the pipes. 9 times out of ten The reply is one of astonisment at playing such a rare instrument. But how rare?
Well to begin with there are 5873 members of this forum,(at the time of writing), a fact that prompted me to make this post as coincidently that is the pin number of my latest credit card!!
As popular and as magnificant as this forum is, do we represent the breathless world?
Any ideas as to how we calculate ( roughly) our blowing potential.
Maybe the makers of the pipes themselves have a clue, useful information for the business plan?

hornpiper
12-13-2004, 07:11 AM
I think the bagpipe playing society is just so spread out about the world and I think that might be one of the reasons why people gloat about it's rarity. What is nice is that it is things like this fine forum that bring us all together reguardless of distance. AS for the blowing power, like you, I will leave that up to the makers of the pipes to figure out as well.

piper61308
12-13-2004, 03:56 PM
another thing about blowing power: if all the pipers in the world played at the same time wat would happen? The end of the world.... chaos... comfusion....? :confused:

rpeitzsch
12-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by piper61308:
another thing about blowing power: if all the pipers in the world played at the same time wat would happen? The end of the world.... chaos... comfusion....?I think I'd be worried most when they all inhaled together. Would it create a vacuum that would wipe out all life on earth? :wink:

Cassie M
12-14-2004, 04:36 AM
Message for Howard Cox..
that is the pin number of my latest credit card!!Can we have the long number too please :thumb:

Bob Norris
12-14-2004, 05:17 AM
Not Enough?

hornpiper
12-14-2004, 07:09 AM
HOWARD, dont forget to give us the expiration date as well. Every one always asks for that in conjunction with the number. THat would really be something grand if all the pipers in the world played together. Picture all the seats in a large collesium completely filled with bagpipers all playing together and the field too.
Than there would be a large screen where the drum major would wave his mace to direct everyone. And just to think if we had all the drummers in the world too than maybe there would be an earth quake. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Drew McPheeters
12-14-2004, 07:17 AM
if all the pipers in the world played at the same time wat would happen?Pipe Majors the world over would faint from the surprise? :D

Steve S.
12-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Since this forum encompasses the world, what if us formites estimate the number of pipes in our towns and add it up.

Here in El Paso is about 16, Alamogordo NM has 5, and Las Cruces/Deming/Silver City about 5, giving us a total of 26.

Thomas Grotrian
12-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by hornpiper:
THat would really be something grand if all the pipers in the world played together. Picture all the seats in a large collesium completely filled with bagpipers all playing together and the field too.
Than there would be a large screen where the drum major would wave his mace to direct everyone. And just to think if we had all the drummers in the world too than maybe there would be an earth quake. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We are trying..We are trying..If you can't make it on the day - watch the news on 21st August and look for reports of Earthquakes in the Holyrood Park area of Edinburgh. :wink: :wink: :wink:

uncle Mario Tomasone
12-16-2004, 12:53 PM
I remember an old post in those same lines here in teh beer tent...

Anyway, the World is not big enough fo all of us. Have you ever tried to find a quite spot to play?

Have you noticed how long you have to travel to find a good place where you can play without annoying anyone?
And have you noticed that, no matter how remote you are, there's always soeone who pops out of the blue to tell you about his/her nephew/grandpa/brother-in-law being a piper as well?

Tommy P.
12-16-2004, 01:13 PM
if all the pipers in the world played at the same time wat would happen? :D I don't know, but I bet there'd be a lot of pissed of people all over the world,.. looking out their living room windows at the street, wondering where in the hell their pizzas were!

PMT
12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
I know a few, there's Andy and Angus, John and Malcolm, Iain and Dave, Bob, Ernie and Laurie, Jenny, Karen, another Bob, Fraser, Richard, Brian 1 and Brian 2, Ryan, Doc, Craig, Harry, Zon, Peng and Mac. Please add these to your list, I am most interested to see how many you find! :thumb:

Tommy P.
12-16-2004, 04:24 PM
There's Our Bob, Chuck, Benny, Rebecca and Bill, Doc, Don, and Dan,.......and every now and then, when he feels like it; Allison.
:D

Howard Cox
12-17-2004, 04:32 AM
Try this as a formula
List all pipe bands from each country - multiply by an average of say 10 or 12
Then double that number for solo players tucked away in the wilds with no band allegance? =a very rough worldnumber -what do you think?
So from where do we get the registerd band numbers?
Maybe Thomas Grotrian can help on this one
Anything else better to do over the Christmas break?
an awful lot of questions , now we need the answers

Perrin
04-17-2005, 09:02 AM
I would really like to know the answer to how many pipers there are in the United States as I would like to mention this to the younger pipers in our band to impress upon them how they represent all pipers everywhere when they put on their uniforms and pick up their pipes - as we are all one big happy family...

Go Habs
04-17-2005, 10:54 AM
30,000 pipers was a number I read on piperanddrummer.com, I think in the blogpipe. I think their estimate comes from extrapolating info given to them from pipeband organizations worldwide.

So if there is six billion people in the world and 30,000 pipers, that's one piper for every 200,000 people.

Jim Fogelman
04-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Is that number only competing pipers? And are those who are just on the practice chanter counted?