PDA

View Full Version : Walsh Shuttle pipes chanter tuning.

Ian Lawther
10-21-2002, 10:48 AM
I have a pupil with a set of John Walsh shuttle pipes. He was having tuning problems which we pinned down to the E being out a couple of weeks ago. He was going to go back to Walsh about them but started doubting the diagnosis so we checked again yesterday and the E was now in but the F out.

My suspicion is that given that these are plastic reeds condensation forms on the blades altering the weight and therefore the tuning. When the water drops evaporate or are wiped off the problem is solved (or altered). Can anyone confirm this theory or suggest another one?

Ian

DVMPiper
10-21-2002, 11:32 AM
I don't have the shuttle pipes, but I have the A-2000 smallpipes and I notice this same issue with the reeds in them. If I play and lots of moisture is condensing on the reed blades, the tuning changes. This usually happens when I get the baritone, E, tuned finally and then things change. That darned baritone gives me the most headaches! The chanter reed also gets affected, similarly to a PC reed. I just remove the chanter and shake off or wipe off the moisture and things usually go back to right. Sometime I even have to remove the reed and blow back through the reed to get moisture from the interior of the reed out.

Bryan

Kevin
10-29-2002, 10:47 AM
Hi Ian,

I have had this problem with my shuttle pipes before. It sounds terrible when you have the baritone drone going and E and F keep wandering all over the place. In my case it turned out to be a bad chanter reed. I damaged it putting it into the stock one time. the very corner of the reed was folded over. It was almost un-noticible visually and only noticible on E, F and G tuning. A new reed fixed the problem and I put the old reed in the baritone drone. Now the baritone can be tuned to D, which sounds much nicer with tunes in the key of D. The only problem is that it is a bit loud relative to the other drones and chanter. I am planning to try to quite it down a bit with a dental elastic, will let you know if this works.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Kevin.