PDA

View Full Version : Band Uniform Issues Other Than Kilts and Hair

Jan
11-02-2004, 05:02 AM
My band has just changed from a Fire Department band to a Police Department band (long story, don't ask). In the course of this change we just received new uniform shirts purchased for us by the police department. This is great for us as a band, however, the shirts are all men's! I took it upon myself as "Band Mom" to make a list of all the sizes we needed and give that list to the purchaser. I specified the women's shirt as womens sizes but, well you can guess the rest. :shrug:

We now have 4 women with shirts way to big in some areas and way too small in others. Sigh. :( As my last act as Band Mom (I'm retiring from that position) I have located the same style shirt in ladies sizes and now have to get them on order. :humm:

So the question is, have any of you run into this type of problem? Do men not understand that women are built differently? If you have come across this situation do you just fix it yourself or go back to the band and let them fix it? Can you tell I'm frustrated?

FD Piper
11-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Jan,
Whack the guy upside the head, and tell him to get it together! Let him fix it.

BTW, why on earth would you want to change to anything else from a FD band? But, to a PD band - WHY?
FD Piper

Jan
11-02-2004, 05:52 AM
We changed from fire to police only because the new fire chief doesn't want/like the band/bagpipes. The Police Department unanimously voted to support the band so we happily accepted their invitation. We all feel committed in a small way to support our public servants; the majority of us being veterans, former firefighters and current police officers we feel a connection there. My husband is PM and a former volunteer Firefigher. He cheerfullly went to the police department while I went kicking and screaming. But then I realized my loyalties belonged to my bandmates, not the fire department.

I'm afraid to whack the police chief upside the head. I may become an unwilling guest of his department :lol:

EquusRacer
11-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Jan: Are there no female police officers in Georgia? Or do they require them, too, to wear men's shirts? :rolleyes:

Love2Drum
11-02-2004, 09:15 AM
I don't think we have that problem as our shirts come in men's and women's (the only way I can tell is that mine buttons backwards from my husband's).

Luckily too, our Quartermaster is a woman and is really good at making sure we get the right stuff.

Kenton Adler
11-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Speaking ONLY for myself and not men in general, I completely understand that women are different and thoroughly appreciate the differences. Vive la difference.

I think some vendors just have a problem understanding the concept of sizes, period. I ordered, via the web, a new Glengarry from an overseas vendor who shall remain nameless, sent a follow-up e-mail to ensure I got the right size, and when it arrived yesterday it was wrong. How hard can it be? It's printed right inside.

Jan
11-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Are there no female police officers in Georgia? Yes, absolutely there are female police officers in Georgia, but apparently not in our local department.........
Maybe my list wasn't clear :rolleyes: but then how could you read a list starting with "Women's shirts" and the sizes listed as 36 or 38 wrongly? :idea: I know it was the alternate sizes I listed. You know L, XL, M. But they were meant to be women's L, XL, M not men's. Sigh. I need to get to know this man well so that I can educate him.

Holly Scott
11-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi! Yes, I've noticed that "thing" about fit. Luckily, even though the uniform shirts (the polyester kind) we wear are all men's sizes, the sheriff's department has an arrangement with a shop that does alterations. I had to try on a couple of shirts before I got a close enough fit (our band wears the same shirts as the officers).

Jan
11-03-2004, 04:45 AM
We wear officer's shirts too. It wouldn't be too bad if the pockets didn't tuck into the kilt and the "short" sleeves didn't hang to the elbows. I found a source for similar shirts made for women. We'll just have to order a few of those. It only makes more work to have to do these things twice, but I suppose it could be worse.

Cdrummer87
11-07-2004, 09:08 PM
We all wear the same kind of shirt in our band, male or female. It's a man's shirt. Hahaha... I was so confused the first time I put it on because the buttons went up the wrong side. Took a while to get used to. But they do fit all right. They're not too big if you end up with the right size for you.