PDA

View Full Version : Piper Cookie Cutters?

Wendy (A Piper's Mom)
11-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the beer tent- then I figured, I don't really like cookies and beer together, so I'll post here.

So, 'tis the season when many folks bake those traditional holiday cookies. I am a bit of a non-traditional gal though, so I'm looking to make something different.

I wonder if anyone has ever seen a cookie cutter in the form of a bagpiper, or simply a set of pipes. I've searched eBay, Amazon and the net through Google with no luck yet. :shrug:

Thanks!

Love2Drum
11-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Now thats a cookie I would make.

How hard would it be to make one? What would you make it out of?

Steve Mack
11-29-2004, 05:02 PM
If you know someone who is skilled in working with sheet metal (may you?), you could give them a silhouette of a piper, and they could probably come up with a very nifty cookie cutter. :idea:

With best regards,

Steve Mack

Wendy (A Piper's Mom)
11-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Hmmm, well, I don't know anyone first hand, but maybe if I ask around, perhaps a friend of a friend...

I'll bet they'd even be able to make a few to sell. Well, if I have any luck, I'll let y'all know...

W

ChickaDee
11-29-2004, 07:56 PM
SURELY there is a forumite out there that's handy with sheet metal, wire cutters, blow torches, et al <wracking my brain trying to come up with other 'shop' related stuff!!!> that can fashion piper/bagpipe cookie cutters!! Maybe I need to move this topic to the DIY forum!! :wink: :lol:

Is that cookies I smell???

Ian Lawther
11-30-2004, 09:53 AM
In hobby/model shops you can buy brass strip in different thicknesses and widths. That would probably be the best starting place - get some about an inch wide and a thickness that is easily bent into shape. Whether you could get it long enough is another matter - by the time you have done three drone, blowstick and chanter there is quite a length to the outline.

Also at a practical level how well are baked drones going to survive - you would have a long thin piece of cookie.

Perhaps the answer is to get a metal pipers sleeve badge and use it to put an imprint of pipes on a cookie. I can't find a pictire of a metal badge on line but this is a cloth version of the same design http://houseoflabhran.net/insignia/silverpipe.JPG

Ian

Emmet Bondurant
11-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Yes; I've made cutters out of brass strips, soldered with silver solder; I use them to make piecrust leaves (oak or holly, depending upon time of year) to decorate pies.

As Ian observed, cookie drones would be too brittle. I'd make round sugar cookies (using a pint glass as a cutter), cut out a stencil of a bagpipe, and stencil them either with colored sugar, or aerosol food coloring (http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_colormist&killnav=1) . Manila folders make good stencils, and if sprayed with clear acrylic first, last a long time.

CM
12-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Ian's suggestion brings to mind something like a wooden shortbread mold with either pipes or a piper as the pattern.

Wendy (A Piper's Mom)
12-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Wow, so many great suggestions...

I guess we see now why a cutter would be hard to find, but yes, a mold or a stencil is a great idea. Hmmmm... :wink:

Love2Drum
12-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Now a stamp would be really cool. My mother in law makes shortbread and puts a thistle impression on them (they're really cool, I always hate to eat them and ruin it). I've never seen her make them, so I'm guessing its a mold.

How would you make a mold?

Emmet Bondurant
12-01-2004, 08:18 AM
"How would you make a (shortbread) mold?"

It's actually more of a stamp. Get a book on a technique called chip carving. It's not hard, the knives necessary aren't too expensive, and basswood is readily available from the same woodworking shops. Once you've got the knack of it, it'd be best if you could get someone with a lathe to turn some round blanks for you, that you could then carve the pattern onto. Everyone's got thistles; I think that a bagpipe shortbread mold would be exceptionally cool.

DVMPiper
12-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Try making or getting someone to make a mold from terra cotta or other clays. I have seen shortbread and other cookie mold made of these materials and they should work fine. Did a search of the net using google without success, so you may have a market if you can do it. Maybe like the forum pins??!!

Bryan

Love2Drum
12-01-2004, 12:52 PM
I could probably do clay, the problem would be getting it fired. I wonder if sculpey would work, then you could just bake it in the oven.

roccolinde
12-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Sculpey would work well as a mold/impression/stencill, and it's non-toxic. I used to cover plastic pens in the stuff... very pliable and easy to etch patterns in.

DVMPiper
12-02-2004, 06:48 AM
If you have a community activities program, say through a city parks and rec department or some such, they may have a pottery class and you might use them as a way to fire your pieces. Or check out a local high school art department. My old high school art teacher fired our stuff in the school's kiln.

ladypiper47
12-02-2004, 07:31 PM
I agree that the pipes would make a poor shape for a cookie cutter but if someone wants to make a cookie cutter it isn't hard. I have made them in various shapes with the metal from those throw away foil pans (like pie plates). I use stiff cardboard or plastic margarine tub plastic to made a flat piece to tape the form to.