PDA

View Full Version : Going 'Regimental/ Commando' --- oh, brother!

ladypiper47
03-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I just read my umpteenth post (in another website forum) by a gentleman who is denouncing the policy of a Games in the USA banning men from 'going Regimental/Commando' at their Games. He was outraged by this policy. The person who responded was equally outraged and challenged all comers to police his actions.
I probably totally overreacted to these two posts, but it seems to me to be ridiculous. I doubt if either of these posters understand the medical/ hygiene roots of the tradition of being naked beneath the kilt. I doubt very much that either of them are in a Regiment where this tradition is continued for the sake of tradition.
WHY IS IT NECESSARY to be naked beneath the kilt at a Highland Games????????? Why do men feel they have to defend this 'dress code'?? The vast majority of us do not wear the kilt in the ancient style so we can not claim that nakedness is part (or not part) of the uniform.

As a woman in a band, I am forever reminding our guys to sit properly in a skirt. I am very embarassed when the person is naked. I don't think I should have to be subjected to this.

Any thoughts?

Bob Budesa
03-05-2005, 04:36 PM
It IS odd, isn't it? Every other day, Big Jim and the twins are under wraps. At the games, they're turned lose.

I remember at Pleasanton several years ago, the crowd on one side of the grade 1/2 platform was uh, let's see, 'treated' is the wrong word, uh, had full view of one guys wedding tackle, and even the announcer over the P/A couldn't get him to close ranks.

I reckon nobody would be the wiser, were it not for those few who just haven't been paying attention to Miss Manners.

I think it's a one or two day rebellion against modern etiquette. If they call his bluff, they're the ones embarrassed, not him. It is airy and cool, I'll have to say that. I mean, I think it would be. Uhhhhhh.......

ThugPiper '72
03-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Being a man, and wearing 8 yards of wool around your waist in the summer heat can be..... uncomfortable.

ladypiper47
03-05-2005, 07:36 PM
And having that 8 yds of scratchy wool rubbing against your bare skin isn't? :eek:

Rojellio
03-05-2005, 08:26 PM
And having that 8 yds of scratchy wool rubbing against your bare skin isn't? The inside edge of button up shirts is often times worse. Its what possessed me to come up with this unique garment red with black lace "UnderKiltie" (http://www.allmannerofcoverage.com/images/rojelliosleg2.jpg) Devil Red Pendleton with a super soft silk lining. Basicly its an apron/half slip sort of affair.

Not that I am a defender of tradition or anything.. I am not much for wearing garments presumably of English origion, namely Y-fronted "tighty whities" and the various varients. It just doesnt seem right with a Kilt, or with anything else for that matter. IMHO mens under briefs are the most uncomfortable and useless mens garment made.

Indeed, being more carefull when sitting is required. In my experience however, it is the ones who are NOT carefull that are wearing the Y-fronts, boxers etc. As for the carefull ones, you couldnt tell one way or the other.. and thats the way it should be.

Margaret
03-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Personally, I really don't wish to "share" the view when some guy's regimental and sloppy about it (or proud, hard to say sometimes)...

(Big Jim and the twins ha ha ha snort :D ).

Dunno what the big deal is...although I remember one time sitting up on some bleachers at a games with a few other pipe bands watching the grade 3 bands compete, and one of their pipers got a regimental twin pinched between the boards....the unholy shriek he let out practically drowned out the band that was competing in front of us <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif ouch!

I do apologise as I couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes after that (you had to have been there).

Margaret

Rat Bast*rd.
03-05-2005, 09:23 PM
What "is", or "is not" worn under the kilt is not the problem.

The problem arises when some brainless twit allows the public to "see" what's there.

ThugPiper '72
03-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Shade:
What "is", or "is not" worn under the kilt is not the problem.

The problem arises when some brainless twit allows the public to "see" what's there. I totally agree. I know plenty of women who go without as well, and it should be a personal choice. And you should be the only one who knows about it!

Andrew Lenz
03-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Like the fellow in Pleasanton a couple years ago, raising his foot to tie his shoe on a bench. TMI. Too much information. Both for me and the young woman standing next to me. A little averted vision was required.

Some guys definitely gotta learn the whole "skirt-esque" ettiquette.

I'm naturally not inclined to show off . . . "items" . . . that doesn't mean I haven't gone regimental, it just means I'm not about to position myself in a manner that might compromise obscurity.

I know guys aren't the only ones to go regimental (might make for a good poll, I sure it's a much lesser percentage on females), but it's sure easier to notice on males! All the more reason for men to be aware.

Andrew

ThugPiper '72
03-05-2005, 11:38 PM
I know guys aren't the only ones to go regimental (might make for a good poll, I sure it's a much lesser percentage on females)

Andrew [/QB][/QUOTE]
Hey, someone start a poll!

ChickaDee
03-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Re: poll on male/female going 'commando/regimental' has been done. It was posted in the Beer Tent a few months ago.

(Big Jim and the twins :rolleyes: ....hahahaha snort) I'm right with you, Margaret!!! Between that and picturing Love2Drum's flying tampon, the tears are rolling!!!! :lol:

Stig Bang-Mortensen
03-06-2005, 07:33 AM
I fail to see the problem, but that´s probably a danish thing :wink: .

Let´s face it: We all know it´s there, lt´s not like, it all of a sudden apears at various places of the body without warning, most people has seen one before, the rumour that kilted boys only wear socks and boots under their kilt isn´t exactly hot news.

That boils down to: It cannot come as a surprize to anyone that Jim and the twins turn up by accident. I dont think anyone should flash deliberately, though.

I often wonder why people let their kids watch enormous amounts of violent tv, but when it comes to the (really) innocent bedroomscene they shout and complain and turn the tv´s off.

Has the people that want to keep their Highland Games "familly friendly" any idea of how families start in the first place?

As I said first, it´s probaly because I´m danish, but I don´t get the point at all.

Regards

Stig Bang-Mortensen

annefrommass
03-06-2005, 08:03 AM
As the parent of a young child, I say that I don't want my three year old seing that. Hell, I don't want to see a gentlemans bait and tackle. But, as long as they are discreet about it, it doens't bother me. Just use good judgement....if it is windy, don't go regimental... no one wants to see it.
I dno't have a problem with a guy doing it, I just don't want to have to see it. In other words, sit properly, don't prop your leg up on a drum or bench, etc etc...

Spunky
03-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Why are people so offended by nudity?
And now we'll have a toast to the ladies.
(For those who have served in a highland regiment you'll appreciate that.)

ThugPiper '72
03-06-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure why people in America are offended by it either. I'm talking about "accidents" here. Being born and raised in Germany by a Scottish mother, nudity just wasn't a big deal. When I came to America it was quite a shock seeing the amount of violence that is allowed (which I hadn't grown up with in Germany) and seeing the America's rather "Puritain" attitude towards the human body. I dunno.

john flynn
03-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure how well this will go over, but I'll risk it anyway. At worst I'll be banned from this forum.

About 15 years ago I was asked to play a wedding for two friends of mine. Each of them were in another pipe band from mine. We actually had a trio of pipers. One of the other pipers played in the same band as me, and the third played in yet another band. Almost all of the guests (200+) were from the piping/Scottish/Irish community and were VERY familiar with kilts. The best man however was not, and it was a kilted wedding.

I have to mention here that the priest here also officiated at my wedding. He was in one of the pipe bands in this story. He also believed that the wedding party should not stand with their backs to the congregation. After all this is a happy event and everyone should share in the joy. Lastly about the service, the priset did not believe that the wedding party should have to stand through ther ceremony AND a mass, so he always had his wedding parties sit on the altar facing the guests.

We played the bridal procession in with the tune requested by the bride. When the time came to "sit," the aforementioned best man gave the congregation a view of his "best man." Evidently the groom never informed him how to sit in a kilt. His wife was sitting in the third row and immediately exited the church. The three of us pipers knew what had just happened and were trying our best to get his attention and have him close his legs. This "showtime" happened at least three times during the service.

The bride, now a VERY blushing bride, had told us to play something upbeat for the exit. We had planned on playing The Festival March, a great 12/8 that is joyous. The three of us blaggards' knew we had to change the tune and we each knew just what we were going to play now. We never played Cock of the North with such enthusiasm before. OK, ok, I know it's about a rooster, but come on! The groom understood and gave us the "thumbs up" although he was using a different finger. I think he may have hurt his thumb....I guess.

Oh yeah, the whole congregation knew the tune within the first 5 notes.

John
Ok. I'm not proud of it, but it was damn funny and alcohol was involved. But I suppose you guys knew that already.

Stig Bang-Mortensen
03-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by john flynn:
I'm not sure how well this will go over, but I'll risk it anyway. At worst I'll be banned from this forum.
&lt;snip a lot&gt;

Oh yeah, the whole congregation knew the tune within the first 5 notes.

John
Ok. I'm not proud of it, but it was damn funny and alcohol was involved. But I suppose you guys knew that already. :lol: I have a funny feeling that I would have done the same.

Regards

Stig Bang-Mortensen

Jim Fogelman
03-06-2005, 12:57 PM
That's great.

I almost always go regimental and sit with my legs spread, but I ALWAYS make sure my sporran keeps the kilt down there.

john flynn
03-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Just the thought of wearing a kilt all day at a games, in the kind of heat you get at a place like Pleasanton, makes me feal like heat-stroke is coming on. If WUSPBA said it was now acceptable to wear tartan Bermuda shorts I'd pay for the entire band!!!!!

Jeez, I can't even wear wool shirts in winter without having a heavy t-sirt on underneath. The scrtching, and the itching :eek: Just the thought of regimental....ooohhh!

John

John

Ron Teague
03-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Someone emaild me a photo of the brass of a regiment with HRH ER in a nice blue frock and hat. One of the officers didn't put enough weight in his sporran and Seamus Mor and the wee bairns came for a visit. His future promotions are probably not assured. This is one of the times that freedom is probably not worth it. I would post it here but as there are young folk about it would seem like the bad old days of the RMMB. But it is funny. I'll email it to any one who wants it.

Cheers

Ron Teague

ladypiper47
03-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Today, having read everyone else's posts I have reflected on my original position. Here goes; I actually don't care AT ALL what is worn or not worn beneath someone's kilt. What bothers me boils down to two things
1. That a few people make such a fuss about DEFENDING their right to go naked. Just do it if you want to and keep quiet about it. Why should anyone else care.
2. That some people wearing the kilt do not pay attention to properly sitting/bending in it. Why should the rest of us be subjected to the underneath view of anyone's kilt (at least during a public event :D )(naked or not)

An aside to Stig, punkSay and Chicken: Nakedness does not offend me :) . I have worked in hospitals for more than 25 years. Trust me, skin is our favourite hospital apparel - clothes are a nuisance.

RosieJ
03-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Then there's the story in our band about the DM who went regimental on a windy day. One gust is all it took; I hear he's got fishing weights sewn all around his kilt now................

ChickaDee
03-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by ladypiper47:

WHY IS IT NECESSARY to be naked beneath the kilt at a Highland Games?????????

Any thoughts? Several:

-Don't know what the rest of you mommas and wives think but can we say "NASTY"!! :eek: If the men ain't wearin' undies with their kilt, just where do those colorful stripes go? :rolleyes:

-I wouldn't ever buy a used kilt from anyone fearing they'd gone 'commando/regimental' in their kilt. Sorry-those semesters of Microbiology and Micro Lab did me in. Dry Cleaning and Frebreze only do so much.

-While I can appreciate the male physique as much as the next chick, I like to decide the when's and where's!!

-I support an individual's right to wear whatever they wanna wear (or not) under their kilt. I don't think it is anyone's business.....so don't make it my business!!! Unless, of course..... :wink:

JRM
03-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Hey Ron...I've been told that photo is a crafty fake.

JRM
03-07-2005, 07:47 AM
tried it a few times after being razzed by band mates as a teenager...uncomfortable at best, embarrassing at worst :blush: :wow:

Curt
03-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Chicken Fried Haggis:
I'm not sure why people in America are offended by it either. I'm talking about "accidents" here. Being born and raised in Germany by a Scottish mother, nudity just wasn't a big deal. When I came to America it was quite a shock seeing the amount of violence that is allowed (which I hadn't grown up with in Germany) and seeing the America's rather "Puritain" attitude towards the human body. I dunno. Never could figure this out either and I grew up here in the states. The human body is art in my opinion. Mind you, some art isn't very nice to look at to some people, but I don't know what the big deal is about a human body? As far as violence goes, you are not kidding. It is what sells I guess and most everyone seems to enjoy bloody murders on the big screen, but if someone shows a human body, that is an outrage.

Strange stuff,
Curt

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Margaret:
Personally, I really don't wish to "share" the view when some guy's regimental and sloppy about it (or proud, hard to say sometimes)...

(Big Jim and the twins ha ha ha snort ).

Dunno what the big deal is...although I remember one time sitting up on some bleachers at a games with a few other pipe bands watching the grade 3 bands compete, and one of their pipers got a regimental twin pinched between the boards....the unholy shriek he let out practically drowned out the band that was competing in front of us <span style="font-style: italic">ouch!

I do apologise as I couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes after that (you had to have been there).

Margaret </span>Hahahahahahaha! :eek:

Matt Buckley_dup1
03-07-2005, 11:22 AM

What bothers me boils down to two things

1. That a few people make such a fuss about DEFENDING their right to go naked. Just do it if you want to and keep quiet about it. Why should anyone else care. I agree. The word affectation comes to mind whenever I hear men overly defending the right. I think it has far less to do with tradition, or comfort, and has far more to do with the idea of walking around sans undies. In other words, thou doth protest too much, methinks.

Speaking on behalf of my own dear Big Jim and the Twins, I can't stand the idea of walking around without something underneath. Ugggh !!!
The chafing, the sweat, the whole thing.

Reminds me of the guy who regularly came to Vermont's finest contra-dance in Montpelier in kilt sans underwear. Whenever he went into a swing, we often caught a glimpse of his, um, equipment. When confronted with it, he claimed "Scottish tradition". Yea, right.

Love2Drum
03-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Personally, I don't care either way. I've seen more sets of men's twig and berries that it doesn't bother me anymore. Hell, being in massed bands at the worlds, I saw more dangly bits from guys squatting on the field to relieve themselves than I'd probably ever see in normal every day life for the rest of my life.

There will always be those gents who don't know how to sit correctly or lift their leg up to tie their ghillie, etc. But, on the other hand, how many women do we see every day on the street with their boobs practically hanging out, or their pants down low and their g-string hanging out?

I think its just the nature of the beast. As to picketing a games (assuming this whole ban is for real), I dunno. Perhaps they feel the need to make up for a loss in 'other areas', you know what they say about guys driving big trucks.... :lol:

Monty
03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't care what a person does or does not wear under his/her kilt any more than I care what they wear under their 'civvies'. However, I don't wish to see it on display whether it be tightie whities, boxers, thongs, or au naturale. :eek:

I agree with Allison and Chickadeee regarding health concerns. :shrug:

Ian Lawther
03-08-2005, 02:47 PM
What bothers me boils down to two things

1. That a few people make such a fuss about DEFENDING their right to go naked. Just do it if you want to and keep quiet about it. Why should anyone else care. Reading through all this made me wonder if those who make such a fuss have other issues about wearing "a skirt" and have to promenade their maleness to cope with it........they should simply realise that the kilt is a male garment and it is the women who are cross dressing by wearing it.

With regard to the health issues raised by Dee and Alli B I was reminded of some friends in the UK who are naturists. This subject came up and they explained that at a nudist camp everyone carries a towel with them. You sit somewhere you put your towel down first. You leave, you take it with you. Everyone does it because everyone is aware of the hygene issues and accepts that this is the responsible way to deal with it. So what we need is for those who insist on going with out undies to carry a towel to sit on.

You shall know him by his towel......

Ian

Richard Strayer
03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Well, they say a hoopy frood always knows where his towel is.

Andrew Lenz
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Here's the poll (http://www.bobdunsire.com/CGI-BIN/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=004977) that Dee mentioned. I'm getting old, I forgot about. (It was half a year ago!)

I'm very, very surprised that as many as 51% of women have tried going regimental . . . I would have figured less than 20%.

Andrew

piper2b
03-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Yes, we can be . . . surprising. :cool:

Tommy P.
03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Surprising,....and rather alluring..... :smokin:

Bob C
03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Wow, how we wander, from going regimental to now personal hygiene, rubbing his bare booty on the bar stool and the poor unsuspecting young lady touching that area. Oh come on, I see more mothers dump their kids on the food counter at restaurants and very often you can smell the stinking diaper. Who then is the unsupecting person following along. I would rather be on that bar stool than getting food from that counter.

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Bob C:
Wow, how we wander, from going regimental to now personal hygiene, rubbing his bare booty on the bar stool and the poor unsuspecting young lady touching that area. Oh come on, I see more mothers dump their kids on the food counter at restaurants and very often you can smell the stinking diaper. Who then is the unsupecting person following along. I would rather be on that bar stool than getting food from that counter. Both are wrong...and two wrongs don't make a right. :shrug: However, since I know this world is full of people who have different ideas than I do about cleanliness, I wash my hands frequently.

My opinion about "commando" kilt wearers was only that...my opinion. I do have friends who claim to go "commando" or "regimental" under their kilts, but just because they are friends doesn't mean I won't tell them what my opinion of it is, if the subject ever came up (such as in this forum). And if I had a friend who went around putting their kid's stinking diaper on anything but a changing table then into the trash...I'd tell them what I thought of that too.

ChickaDee
03-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Bob C:
I would rather be on that bar stool than getting food from that counter. Of course you would as you'd be the bare bootied bagpiper sitting on the bar stool and NOT the poor unsuspecting young lady!! :shrug:

cajunscot
03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Could it be that we know them Dee? :wink:

ChickaDee
03-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by cajunscot:
Could it be that we know them Dee? :wink: Nope!

I still don't wanna put my hands on a bar stool where someone has sat and wiggled their bare butt......whether I know them or not!!

Cassie M
03-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Ach, for me half the fun of seeing guys in kilts is the 'not knowing'. I'm a naturist anyway so seeing a mans' penis really doesn't bother me but as far as i'm concerned it's traditional to wear nothing under the kilt, if you're going to keep the tradition of wearing a kilt alive you may as well do it properly. I can see the point that some people may be naturally exhibitionist/perverse and spoil it but after a few bevvies i've seen females are like that in bars and clubs anyway, how much cleavage, leg can be shown? etc, if a man was to go to the limits drunken (and not always drunk) females do how loud would we scream? I don't know what all the fuss is about. If we get the occasional accidental glimpse then big deal, if it's deliberate indecency call the police. Regimental rules for me.

Andrew Lenz
03-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ChickaDee:
Most of us think nothing of letting others play our bagpipes or of ourself playing theirs, myself included. Why is that???Speak for yourself, Dee. I'm definitely not 'most of us'. I get grossed out blowing into my own bagpipes, let alone someone else's or them blowing into mine. Yuck. Think of all that spit. [*shudder*]

Ironically, I was thinking a day or two ago how small a package of "Handi-wipes" I could get to carry around just in case I wanted to try other's pipes at a games or practice . . . I get sick plenty of times from my kids, I don't need a piper's illness too!

Now . . . drinking out of someone's beer glass, beer has alcohol which is a natural disinfectant. Besides, how often do you see spit in beer?
:wink:

Andrew

Margaret
03-10-2005, 10:27 AM
That's ok Dee, I have issues too! A few of my previous jobs have been waitressing. I'm a major handwasher, and I've taught both of my kids (and 3 classes of preschoolers) how to sneeze in your elbow (not your hands, yuck :bleh: ).

We've had the benefit of our kids growing up on a farm, so they've been exposed to a great number of germs to boost their resistance (no allergies so far) to lots of stuff out there (the image of my toddler son falling into the giant manure mud puddle still haunts me <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif ). But I think I'll still incorporate undies as part of the uni when they dress in their kilts.

Margaret

rpeitzsch
03-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Sounds like its time for a Purell or Lyesol commercial.. :bleh:

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-10-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm the same chick that immediately pulls the comforter off of the bed at hotels and brings her own pillow. (yes, I know I have issues ) You do that too, Dee?? I think we have been to one too many infection control inservices (not that it's a bad thing)! Or maybe we watch too much tv? :shrug:

I'm a naturist anyway so seeing a mans' penis really doesn't bother me.....I can see the point that some people may be naturally exhibitionist/perverse and spoil it.. I may have already mentioned that I worked in hospitals for 20 years. I saw everything!! Over and over and over... :rolleyes: Heck...some folks were so proud of their equipment they would throw off the sheets and raise their hospital gown. That's what gets to me....people who go for the "shock" factor (or in my case, the "ho-hum" factor, takes more that that to shock me!)....like they can't get their jollies any other way. That, and of course, the afore mentioned bare booty on a barstool. :D

Ironically, I was thinking a day or two ago how small a package of "Handi-wipes" I could get to carry around just in case I wanted to try other's pipes at a games or practice . . Andrew, they make those wipe packages in many different sizes. I keep one under the car seat and one in the zipper compartment of my pipe bag. When I start carrying them in my purse you can call me Mrs. Monk. :eek:

I'm a major handwasher, and I've taught both of my kids how to sneeze in your elbow (not your hands, yuck ). Me too...on both counts!! :thumb:

the image of my toddler son falling into the giant manure mud puddle still haunts me...:wink:

Margaret
03-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Poor Christian, I hauled his little 2 year old self up by the Carhartt overalls, drug him kicking into the laundry room (used to be the old cream seperating room when it was a dairy farm), and hosed him off good....I seem to recall he escaped nekkid outside for a while until corraled and clothed :rolleyes: .

Margaret

piper2b
03-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Rat Bast*rd:
Surprising,....and rather alluring..... :smokin: :D
And sometimes, I must admit, we can be . . . a-leering. :lol: :lol: :lol:

John MacDonald
03-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Time marches on and "tradition" also needs to try and address the contemporary issues which exist around our particular GENRE, particularly as it now enjoys larger than ever participation by Females and young children, usually in family groups.

I feel that I can speak on this subject having the experience on both sides of the fence so to speak

As a young 16 yr old Soldier in the British Army, the wearing of underwear beneath a kilt was NOT tolerated, other than for preserving the standards of common decency whilst the Soldiers were performing the Highland Dance. As far as I recall they used either Dark Green or Dark Blue briefs/ swimming trunks, whilst performing.

It was, as far as I recall, considered to be against dress regulations and a soldier could be charged with an offence, and which could carry a number of penalties, such as financial and also detention or a combination of both. Some of the readers particularly those younger ones may NOT believe this but IT IS true.

If, whilst on parade you suffered the fate of the young Black Watch Soldier on the Handover of Hong Kong; then that was tough-you just kept a stiff upper Lip and soldiered on…………..

The background of the ban on undergarments, or so I was always told, was on hygiene grounds. The Kilted regiments suffered from infestations of Lice and other "creatures" which gathered in the pleats and folds of the kilts and I am told that If they were on route marches, particularly in Hot or Tropical climates, then the wearing of undergarments around the Pubic Areas just compounded these infestations and provided extra breeding grounds with sweat and heat and the dead skin tissue for food etc etc........

At the particular training establishment I was at we had a Scots Guards Regimental Sergeant Major-I believe this particular type of person is called a Master Sergeant in the US Military.- (GOD to us mere minions in whatever Military regime).

This particular individual’s nickname was "SCOFFER" Hope. He earned the nickname from his favourite saying, which was; "If you F@@k@@s don't get a grip I'm Going to Scoff you for breakfast" -Scoff refers to the Soldiers slang for FOOD.

Here he is in the Front row with the Diced Cap. I’ll let you guess where I am
http://www.hampshire-caledonian.co.uk/photogallery_pic05.html

One cold September morning in 1977 the establishment was formed up around the periphery of the Parade Square waiting to March on for Monday Parade……….The square was shrouded in quite a dense mist .You could not see much further than the opposite side.

THEN WE HEARD THEM……………………THE RSM’S HIGHLY BOOLED TACKETTY BOOTS BATTERING DOWN THE ROAD AT about 132 BPM…..God preserve us-He’s had a fallout with his missus over breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The FIRST THING he did was to come directly to the Pipe Band, which had a total of 10 pipers. Myself as the junior P/M on the Left hand corner and the Regular Pipey, Jimmy (Pud) Hood of the Argyll’s as a Super-Numerary (I.e. –on his own at the R.H.Side)

Scoffer came to the front rank and went directly to the guy in the middle and bawled in his best Gorbals parade voice “LIFT YER KILT UP” The piper hesitated and this hesitation earned him an extremely stiff dig in the guts by the RSM’s Pace stick.
http://www.intune.ca/Pace-Stick-Large.jpg (The best description of this item is a very large set of dividers which can be folded together and which replaces a swagger cane.)

The poor guy very quickly grounded his pipes and Lifted his kilt with Both Hands, revealing a pair of Non military issue Y-fronts …………

This, in conjunction with the earlier hesitation, earned him a Triad of ABUSE from the RSM, WHOSE FACE HAD LITERALLY GONE PURPLE. Scoffer then proceeded to the next Guy who was asked his name. When the piper answered in his best Dorset, West Country (English) accent this earned him a belt around the head with the dreaded pace stick. He didn’t even get as far as grounding his pipes.

AT THAT POINT I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO JAIL because had I been next, the movement would have revealed a pair of LONG, BLUE army issue P.T shorts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, addressing the point of Females and children in the Contemporary world I believe that if people are going to be traditional they need TO VERY AWARE that they do NOT offend.

In the UK there are laws covering Public decency and I have no doubt that In the other countries where this instrument is played and the Kilt is worn there are similar Laws. So in essence those persons who INADVERTENTLY / DELIBERATLY flaunt their “PERSONS” need to be aware that they might be inadvertently breaching a national /state/ or bylaw and could be processed because of it. I believe that public decency would take precedence over “Tradition”.

Tommy P.
03-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Very well said Mr. MacDonald, thank you.

I'm gonna add this;

I can sit on a barstool, an ice-chest or a restaurant chair in a kilt without my butt touching anything but wool!
Guys, it ain't that freaking hard!
Make sure you're sittin on wool, and try to be aware of what's going on up front, what if your mom was sitting in front of you?

Some of you morons... have got to learn to wear a kilt without embarassing yourselves or anyone around you. Accidents will happen and you need to be prepared to deal with that, but...from someone who wears a kilt "traditionally"; if I'm walking around at a games some weekend with my granddaughter,...and I see you sittin down taking a break with your kilt apron like a table-top and your knees gapped open, I not gonna care if you have on tightie-whities or nothing at all, you and I will have words!

No, that's me over there...
03-11-2005, 11:53 AM
I have also been subjected to Military-Style discipline regarding being "regi" in kilt. I have been Submarined at a Mess Dinner -- (submarined - someone climbs under a table with a cold glass of water and lets you have it up the kilt).
My problem with this discussion pro/con over being regi is the number of women who seem to be really really INTERESTED in what you are wearing under your kilt. This is not age-related either. I think the older women are more adamant about "Lesee whut's under yer kilt, Lad!"
If a man were to approach a woman with a similar demand he'd be arrested, so let's all say that whatever is under the kilt should be kept confidential?
My response to demands as to what's under MY kilt? "Sorry, that's classified".

rpeitzsch
03-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Boy, after reading this thread, I am so glad that I wear dark gym shorts under my kilt. This also makes things much easier when it comes to hot weather or driving or... I can just take the kilt off and I'm all set. Also, there's no chance of a viewing malfunction.

RosieJ
03-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Ohho, Tommy; now we know............ya gave it away :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tommy P.
03-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Perhaps......

But you'll never know for sure, I promise. :wink:

ladypiper47
03-12-2005, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by John MacDonald:
[QB] The background of the ban on undergarments, or so I was always told, was on hygiene grounds. The Kilted regiments suffered from infestations of Lice and other "creatures" which gathered in the pleats and folds of the kilts and I am told that If they were on route marches, particularly in Hot or Tropical climates, then the wearing of undergarments around the Pubic Areas just compounded these infestations and provided extra breeding grounds with sweat and heat and the dead skin tissue for food etc etc........[QUOTE]

I was told (by my PM - old school British Army) that the tradition stemmed from WWI when the soldiers were in the wet trenchs of Europe. The Allied soldiers with trousers and underwear develop severe rashes, fungi and skin problems from the constant wet material and chafing. The men with kilts were wet but the skin could breathe and dry properly. They did not suffer the same problems.

piper2b
03-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Perhaps......

But you'll never know for sure, I promise. :wink: Thanks, Tommy -- then we'll return the favor, full measure. :wave:

Nancy

Army Piper
03-12-2005, 03:11 PM
I just read my umpteenth post (in another website forum) by a gentleman who is denouncing the policy of a Games in the USA banning men from 'going Regimental/Commando' at their Games. He was outraged by this policy. The person who responded was equally outraged and challenged all comers to police his actions.
I probably totally overreacted to these two posts, but it seems to me to be ridiculous. I doubt if either of these posters understand the medical/ hygiene roots of the tradition of being naked beneath the kilt. I doubt very much that either of them are in a Regiment where this tradition is continued for the sake of tradition.
WHY IS IT NECESSARY to be naked beneath the kilt at a Highland Games????????? Why do men feel they have to defend this 'dress code'?? The vast majority of us do not wear the kilt in the ancient style so we can not claim that nakedness is part (or not part) of the uniform.

As a woman in a band, I am forever reminding our guys to sit properly in a skirt. I am very embarassed when the person is naked. I don't think I should have to be subjected to this.

Any thoughts? Now ladypiper..............I think your way off base there in saying that I as "equally outraged" pleae note, the evil grin I placed in the post as well. If you read on, you will have noted that I said that I do wear underwear under my kilt. Over the past two years, I have yet to go regimental. And I did belong to a regiment that upheld tradition.

RosieJ
03-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by piper2b:
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;Originally posted by Rat Bast*rd:
&lt;strong&gt; Perhaps......

But you'll never know for sure, I promise. :wink: Thanks, Tommy -- then we'll return the favor, full measure. :lol:

ladypiper47
03-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Too bad we can not to post pictures in this forum.
Someone just sent me a picture with a PB marching down the street away from the camera. The camera has caught two players (one drummer and one piper) as they cross over a grate in the street. Apparently a draught from below has their kilts blown up at the back and their 'regimental backsides' are on display for the crowd. I'll bet they wish that they had worn gym shorts. :woohoo:

Tommy P.
03-13-2005, 06:56 PM
I'll bet they wish that they had worn gym shorts. :woohoo: Perhaps not,.....some of us would have been more embarassed by the gym shorts.
:)

ThugPiper '72
03-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Oh come on. A little ass never hurt anyone!

Tommy P.
03-13-2005, 07:22 PM
You and I better go back to the Beer Tent, before we get in trouble! :D

ladypiper47
03-13-2005, 07:46 PM
:wave: Bye :D

Tommy P.
03-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Careful what you wish for, without the male visitors around here this place would be dead. :wink:

Chicago Kathy
03-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Well, I don't know, Tommy. We'd miss y'all, but it might raise the tone of the place... :D

Tommy P.
03-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Well, allow me to help you "raise the tone" then....

Chicago Kathy
03-13-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm truly just joking, Tommy, no offense meant. Or you other guys, either. :) What would life be without the vital balance of yin and yang?

Now if you more evolved guys could just teach those other guys how to sit in a skirt...

Tommy P.
03-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Ok,.......but if I come back, do I get to smack those guys in the back of the head who don't know how to sit correctly in a Kilt?

Chicago Kathy
03-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Works for me. :D :D

Tommy P.
03-13-2005, 11:27 PM
:banana: :banana: Yeehaa!

"Duck, you dummies!"

Claxon
03-14-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. I've NEVER worn anything under my kilt, ever. I've also never had a viewing malfunction. Yes, I continously get the 'whats under your kilt?' nonsense, and if you are brave enough to find out, god bless you and I hope you like what you stupidly lifted my kilt to see. Perhaps if more people just chose one way or the other instead of switching on and off when they felt pressure one way or the other, they would remember if they are regimental that day and wouldn't do dumb things like sit like a goal post. I think another issue that no one has covered yet (atleast I don't think from one of the above posts) is that you are much more likely to have a breeze issue with the less weight fabrics and poor kilt making. 13oz and certainly 16oz rarely will lift unless you are in 30mph wind. Hit me with a rolling pin if you like, but I think the real issue here is that you ladies are afraid of going regimental and being called a derogitory term where with men it's more 'acceptable'. I'm not saying this is fair, but isn't that the real issue here? Do I want to see another man's under kilt package? No. Do I want to see a female's under kilt..uh...package (??)? no (I'm married..).

Regardless of what you wear under your kilt you'll still have the questions of what's under it and you'll still have the people who try to lift it, and you'll still have the breezes. Will you have more vanity and be more proud when under your kilt your underwear is revealed? I doubt it. Either way you'll look like a fool and that's the risk of wearing a kilt.

Javier
03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Interesting topic. Personally, I'm bothered by any law restricting personal freedom. I wonder how the ladies would feel if the Highland games committee passed a law requiring all ladies to wear bras before being admitted.

That said, there's already laws about public exposure. Just stress those and enforce them. If someone shows off the wrong bits, eject them from the games, male OR female. I wouldn't want to be subjected to seeing some guy's tighty-whities either, much less Big (or Little) Jim and the twins.
Like Claxon, I've always been careful not to give anyone enough of a view to know whether I'm regimental or not. That's just consideration for others who don't want to see.

Darin R.
03-14-2005, 03:09 PM
I find it rather interesting to note that the majority of the people who agree with going regimental are the ones that either grew up in Scotland or thereabouts and/or served in Scottish regiments. The ones who have issues with it fall into the “other” category, mostly Americans, it seems.

I believe this is because of a few reasons. First, the ones who have “grown up” in a kilt seem to have very little concern about going regimental. In fact, the opinion seem to be “regimental all the way” for them or at least don’t care if you do go “neked”

These people who have worn the kilt more than just at highland games or their St. Andrews Society gathering mostly go regimental. No?

But, I’d bet that most of those who have worn the kilt more than not know how to sit in them.

So, call it just out of practice then. Good reason to wear your kilt more.

BTW, I’m an American so please don’t think I’m picking on us.

So, wear your kilt, go regimental, just learn how to sit……You’re just showing your inexperience amongst other “things”

Darin

Margaret
03-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Too bad we can not to post pictures in this forum.
Someone just sent me a picture with a PB marching down the street away from the camera. The camera has caught two players (one drummer and one piper) as they cross over a grate in the street. Apparently a draught from below has their kilts blown up at the back and their 'regimental backsides' are on display for the crowd. I'll bet they wish that they had worn gym shorts. :woohoo: There is a link from a thread on the beer tent to this photo (I can't remember exactly what the topic was), I remember clicking and laughing...

Margaret

piper2b
03-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Claxon:
but I think the real issue here is that you ladies are afraid of going regimental and being called a derogitory term where with men it's more 'acceptable'. I'm not saying this is fair, but isn't that the real issue here? NOPE. Each lady here in this thread has said quite clearly what her issue is and second-guessing their point with your own perspective is unfair, inaccurate and makes it look like you weren't really listening. :eek: , which was the concern of the knowledgeable nurses, and no flashing of the general public :eek: . That's it, plain and simple. Most of us are merely asking to have the courtesy returned.

Nancy :)

RosieJ
03-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Ok,.......but if I come back, do I get to smack those guys in the back of the head who don't know how to sit correctly in a Kilt?
:wink: Go for it, Tommy! C'mon back! We'll make you an official member of the tartan police
http://www.durham.net/~neilmac/police.htm
and ya can smack 'em as much as ya want! And use yer best steel toed ghillies! :banana:

MacDhughaill
03-14-2005, 08:56 PM
I have one word... chaffing! There ain't enough baby powder in the world. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif

ChickaDee
03-14-2005, 09:56 PM

Each lady here in this thread has said quite clearly what her issue is....

it is and always will be, for me, a matter of personal freedom of choice. Personal means I don't impose the results of my choice on anyone else by proper management Well said, Nancy. :shrug: you'll never know :wink: ) biker shorts I wear under it!!

Claxon
03-15-2005, 06:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Claxon:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> but I think the real issue here is that you ladies are afraid of going regimental and being called a derogitory term where with men it's more 'acceptable'. I'm not saying this is fair, but isn't that the real issue here? NOPE. Each lady here in this thread has said quite clearly what her issue is and second-guessing their point with your own perspective is unfair, inaccurate and makes it look like you weren't really listening. :eek: , which was the concern of the knowledgeable nurses, and no flashing of the general public :eek: . That's it, plain and simple. Most of us are merely asking to have the courtesy returned.

Nancy :) </span></div></div>I guess we can call this topic dead then... Not much else to say.

RosieJ
03-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Yeah, but it's been kinda fun trying to beat it to death! :banana: :banana:

ThugPiper '72
03-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Somebody put a lock on this!

Drums4now
03-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Or a pair of warm climate Under Armours! (shameless plug) My final answer. :hatoff:

ChickaDee
03-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Claxon:

I guess we can call this topic dead then... Not much else to say. We're women.....there is always more that can be said. :wink:

Claxon:

I think the real issue here is that you ladies are afraid of going regimental and being called a derogitory term where with men it's more 'acceptable'. I'm not saying this is fair, but isn't that the real issue here? Ya called us 'fraidy cats!! :wave:
Dee

Richard Strayer
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for sharing Dee; I officially now know too much.

Tommy P.
03-17-2005, 05:01 PM
:) With all due respect Richard, the sign on the door does say: Ladie's Room.

I believe her post was an answer to Claxons rather strange comment.

RosieJ
03-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Uhhh,thanks, Dee, I didn't have the guts to mention your reasoning, but, hem, thats, er, quite a good way to put it. And its, er, my reason as well..........
&gt;looking off into the distance and starting to hum......&lt; :rolleyes:
Yeah, well, maybe the topics about beat to death NOW! :lol:

Rory McKeown
03-18-2005, 03:13 PM
All I can add is....BORN FREE, AS FREE AS THE WIND BLOWS..As free as...I'll shut up now.

ThugPiper '72
03-18-2005, 06:00 PM
I think all men should be going now for fear of stoning.....

RosieJ
03-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Thwack!! Thud!! Bammm!!!! Boingngngng!!!!!

Marathon Piper
03-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Quick, Dee, shut the door, I think we finally got them all out of here!! :wink:

BladerunnerXP
03-19-2005, 02:07 PM
A short story about "Regimental".

Years ago, my band was traveling to march a parade. I was riding with the Pipe Major--we were both wearing kilts--and as we drove along a remote stretch of highway, we came upon a hitchhiker. He was carrying one suit bag over his shoulder. We stopped and to pick him up, and when he saw the kilts he was dumbstruck. In a genuine Scottish brogue out came his story. He had been a regimental sergeant major with a Highland regiment stationed in Australia, he'd just been discharged from service and was hitching back to Scotland. The only clothes he had with him were those he was wearing and his full dress sgt major uniform in the bag. He suited up with us at the parade and marched as our Drum Major. At the motel, just before the parade, he had the band fall in in the motel parking lot and did a full regimental inspection, part of which required each of us to lift the front of our kilt. Everyone passed. The onlookers about did not seem at all offended. We had a truly successful parade, and the post parade revelries were awesome.

I'm truly amazed at all this "much ado about nothing". I personally have always gone regimental and have no intention of doing otherwise. "If thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out."

ThugPiper '72
03-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Yeah.........

Andrew Lenz
03-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by BladerunnerXP:
... full regimental inspection, part of which required each of us to lift the front of our kilt...All I have to say, if I was doing a regimental check of my fellow male pipers, I sure as h3!! wouldn't be checking from the front!!

(Neat story otherwise...)

Andrew

ChickaDee
03-20-2005, 10:00 AM
A solution??? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=16226&amp;item=7308920 999&amp;rd=1)

Dee

Randy J. Homer
03-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks, Dee! From an earlier post, you first get me to thinking about you and Victoria's Secret. And now this!

Oh, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I won't be at all distracted today!

Andrew Lenz
03-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Oh, that's nothing. I like this:

http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~alenz/Surf-Naked.gif

Andrew

(p.s. Relax, it was only 5K loading time.)

Chicago Kathy
03-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Oh. Sorry, Andrew... Nobody told me we were supposed to wait for the signal... :shrug:

Andrew Lenz
03-20-2005, 06:00 PM
I probably shouldn't post this to the Internet, but the following cropped photo was provided to me by an anonymous female member of Dee's band. She assures me this is Dee in her leather biker shorts. It's a little grainy:

Dee Shorts (http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~alenz/dee.jpg) .

Andrew

Chicago Kathy
03-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Dee, you go, girl!

Bannergirl
03-20-2005, 08:09 PM
I think I understand going 'regimental and why it makes sense..... After my last highland games, I just figure it probably evolved as a result of one simple thing....how many yards of wool can you lift up to get your undergarments off???
Not that I have tried it, but after trying to use a port-a-potty in a kilt, I really get it!!! :eek:

ChickaDee
03-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Andrew T. Lenz, Jr.:
this is Dee in her leather biker shorts. :humm:

Tsk, tsk, tsk.....Andrew, ya shoulda done your research. Two features easily prove my innocence:

1/ The hands are not Hobbit-like!!

2/ I'll never tell......

&lt;Uhh.....payback is what, Andypoo???&gt; :wink:

Stay tuned.........
Chick-on-a-mission

Chicago Kathy
03-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Ah, now the truth comes out. Andrew, have you been raiding that stack of Playboys out in your garage again? :rolleyes: That's no way to treat a lady like Dee.

Now, go on back to the beer tent and cool off for a while, young man. Shoo!!

Kathy

Tommy P.
03-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Well said Kathy,...sometimes we get carried away and forget the purpose of the ladies room. I know I also forget my manners sometimes when I'm trying to get a laugh.

Perhaps above the entry to the Ladies Room a sign that reads "Please check all excess testosterone at the door". :wink:

Chicago Kathy
03-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Maybe. And right under it a sign that reads, "Caution -- Estrogen In Use. Extinguish all flammable materials." Cause if Dee don't flame ya, the rest of us just might.

She's our girl and we got her back, guys. Mess with her at your peril. Got it? :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

ChickaDee
03-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Chicago Kathy:

"Caution -- Estrogen In Use. Extinguish all flammable materials."

ROFLMAO!! I love it, Kathy!!! I think I need a t-shirt with that saying on it!! :thumb:

Thanks....I owe ya one!! :hatoff:
Dee

Andrew Lenz
03-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Andrew, have you been raiding that stack of Playboys out in your garage again?The only stack of magazines I have around are P&amp;D, Piping Times and The Voice!

You can ask my wife! :) She complains about all my piping stuff around our computer all the time!

Dee, I'm sorry you didn't recognize your own photo, I just had to Photoshop out your tattoo, it was just too racy for this family-friendly forum!

Andrew

Chicago Kathy
03-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Lord, that reminds me, I have to do some housecleaning around here. Now where did I put my hip boots...? :shrug:

Looks like the kids are coloring on the walls tonight. C'mon to the Beer Tent, Dee, honey. I'll buy you a beer and we can wait till they tire themselves out. (Not you, Rat. :) )

Kathy

Tommy P.
03-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Now where did I put my hip boots...? :shrug: Andrew, in case you're not getting everyones drift in here, I wouldn't go looking for any pictures of hip boots......

Tommy P.
03-20-2005, 09:50 PM
(Not you, Rat. :) )

Kathy Well then wait up, I'd be honored to buy both you ladies a drink. :wink:

Chicago Kathy
03-20-2005, 09:52 PM
All right! Hey, ladies -- Tommy's buying! :wave:

gatormac
03-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by John MacDonald:
[QB] The background of the ban on undergarments, or so I was always told, was on hygiene grounds. The Kilted regiments suffered from infestations of Lice and other "creatures" which gathered in the pleats and folds of the kilts and I am told that If they were on route marches, particularly in Hot or Tropical climates, then the wearing of undergarments around the Pubic Areas just compounded these infestations and provided extra breeding grounds with sweat and heat and the dead skin tissue for food etc etc........[QUOTE]

I was told (by my PM - old school British Army) that the tradition stemmed from WWI when the soldiers were in the wet trenchs of Europe. The Allied soldiers with trousers and underwear develop severe rashes, fungi and skin problems from the constant wet material and chafing. The men with kilts were wet but the skin could breathe and dry properly. They did not suffer the same problems. I think you might find it iteresting that, as far as the military goes, not wearing any underwear is common in the infantry. It is now, and it probably was long before WWI. The reason is simple- wearing underwear, day after day, week after week, while continuosly marching, causes serious problems. When i first went into an infantry unit (US- 101st ABN), I wore underwear (against advice). After about a week I had crotch rot so bad that I eventually had to go see the medic and take a couple of days off. I won't go into details, but it wasn't just a minor thing. I was in severe pain. Underwear causes a build up of heat, moisture, and friction- and that's not good for the boys. I never wore underwear in the field again after that. Most of my buddies who are still in the infantry do not wear underwear at all- ever.

Just for the record, I do wear underwear now. It just makes me feel civilized. And sometimes when I'm in the kilt, and want to be extra sexy, I wear a lace thong. I am very secure with my manly sexuality.

Chicago Kathy
03-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Patrick. You rock, dude. C'mon to the Beer Tent and have a drink with us!

Kathy C.

John MacDonald
03-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Patrick

I say this sincerely comrade-Rather you than me across there-

We, who are left in contries which are relativly more peaceful, owe you guys and girls on the ground a round of thanks

gatormac
03-21-2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words, but just to clarify, I am not in the Army anymore. I'm here as a civilian contractor.

gatormac
03-21-2005, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the kind words, but just to clarify, I am not in the Army anymore. I'm here as a civilian contractor.

Thank the ones wearing the uniforms and doing the fighting.

Anyway, back to underwear discussion!

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I probably shouldn't post this to the Internet, but the following cropped photo was provided to me by an anonymous female member of Dee's band. She assures me this is Dee in her leather biker shorts. It's a little grainy:

Dee Shorts (http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~alenz/dee.jpg) .

Andrew Ok...show of hands here...how many folks thought I was the anonymous female??? :eek: Just for the record, I would never ever sell out my best buddy! However, I might just assist her in a little payback. I guess she'll take it easy on ya Andrew, since the picture wasn't really her. :lol: :woohoo:

Chicago Kathy
03-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Despite my initial comment I never really thought it was Dee or you, Allison -- mostly because I know both of you have more sense than that! :thumb:

As for payback, well... Quoting scripture isn't my forte, but it seems appropriate in this case. "You know not the day, nor the hour." Be very afraid, Andrew. :humm:

Kathy C.

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Another woman who doesn't want to see what's under a guy's kilt!! :lol: :lol: Go to the bottom of the page.

Dear Abby (http://www.ucomics.com/dearabby/)

ChickaDee
03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by AllisonB aka Sweet Reed:
Ok...show of hands here...how many folks thought <span style="font-weight: bold">I was the anonymous female??? </span>Not a chance!! :thumb:

Matt Buckley_dup1
03-22-2005, 05:29 AM

The only stack of magazines I have around are P&amp;D, Piping Times and The Voice!
Reminds me: A few months, I was at the local cafe, waiting for lunch and opening my new issue of Piping Today (which comes in a brown paper wrapper). The owner of tne cafe walked over and said something to the effect of: Matt, only you would order something that comes in a brown wrapper and have it be a piping magazine!!

john flynn
03-22-2005, 03:14 PM
There's 118 (now 119) posts on this "commando" issue here in the ladies Room. I don't think the original thread back in the Beer Tent had anywhere near that many.

Has this thing gotten out of hand?

Are you just beating a dead horse?

Enquiring minds want to know?

Hmmmm........

John

RosieJ
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ChickaDee:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by AllisonB aka Sweet Reed:<span style="font-weight: bold">
Ok...show of hands here...how many folks thought <span style="font-weight: bold">I was the anonymous female??? </span>Not a chance!! :thumb: </span></div></div>Yeah, we all KNEW you weren't the anonymous female Allison! we figured Andrew was trying to get you in trouble.

Hey, if Tommy's buyin', I'm coming too!! HE'S a gentleman :hatoff: , unlike SOME people I know...............

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
we figured Andrew was trying to get you in trouble. I kinda thought that too but then I wondered if I was being too sensitive (or thought too much of myself :thumb:

Andrew Lenz
03-23-2005, 04:28 PM
How about it Andrew...hmmm?? Were you trying to get me in trouble??Well, perhaps a sign that I'm approaching middle age, I had completely forgotten that you were in Dee's band, Allison!

My reasoning was something along these lines: "Hmmmm. Now who could I say gave me the photo . . . certainly not a male, how would he get such a photo? . . . ah, anonymous female!"

(How that, Allison? Good enough to cover up for our conspiracy? No one will actually know it's a photo of you . . . I can't believe Dee said you had "hobbit hands"!)

Andrew

Ron Teague
03-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Well this has gone on for a while. I do wonder how not having skivvies helps men play the pipes better. Perhaps it is the tempo in the movment of the 'parts', sort of like a pendulum, while marching or being exposed to drafts that keeps them awake. Maybe it is the 'freedom' that one has never known since one was in infant, "I go where I please". It could be that natural biological gas which flows free helps keep the pipe stay inflated( as well as other things). I can't quite remember any theory of pipe playing, Joseph MacDonald, Angus MacKay, Gen Tomason, David Glen, who suggest that genital freedom leads to superb piping. I have heard that the long lost, and greatfully forgotten, ms of Murdo MacCrimmon, the bastard son of some obscure piper, does list a ceol mor tune which is annoying to say the least, titled 'Im swinging free, so I'm free to be me'. It is full of pointless hiharins and very wierd timings. I'll post it if you want. This tune is only slighly better than his 'Lament for the Old Chevy' which experts acknowlege as the worst tune ever written for the GHP. So I suppose the point of this rant is 'it is about the music not about the outfit-or lack there of'.

The Very Crabby

Ron Teague

MacBubba
03-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Ok...show of hands here...how many folks thought I was the anonymous female??? :eek: Just for the record, I would never ever sell out my best buddy! However, I might just assist her in a little payback. I guess she'll take it easy on ya Andrew, since the picture wasn't really her. :lol: :woohoo: Allib, if the alleged anonymous female wasn't you, how do you know the picture wasn't really Dee? After all, somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of these forums, there's still that "dancing" picture (unless, of course, it was only a link...).

Ron Teague
03-23-2005, 10:44 PM
One more jibe:

There was the ancient double gold medal winner at Oban as well as the silver chanter winner at Sky who was asked, "Pipe Major, what do you wear under the Kilt, Boxers, Briefs or sans coulotts" He replied boldly, 'Depends'. Sorry, I couldn't pass it up.

Cheers
Ron Teague

ThugPiper '72
03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Ron Teague:
Perhaps it is the tempo in the movment of the 'parts', sort of like a pendulum, while marching or being exposed to drafts that keeps them awake. Maybe it is the 'freedom' that one has never known since one was in infant, "I go where I please". It could be that natural biological gas which flows free helps keep the pipe stay inflated( as well as other things). genital freedom leads to superb piping. 'Im swinging free, so I'm free to be me'. outfit-or lack there of'.

The Very Crabby

Ron Teague Dude..... Chill......

Love2Drum
03-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Ya seriously! We're just having fun with the thread!

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-24-2005, 02:29 PM
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;Originally posted by MacBubba:
&lt;strong&gt; &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;Originally posted by AllisonB aka Sweet Reed:
Ok...show of hands here...how many folks thought I was the anonymous female??? Just for the record, I would never ever sell out my best buddy! However, I might just assist her in a little payback. I guess she'll take it easy on ya Andrew, since the picture wasn't really her. :eek:

And the reason I know the picture wasn't Dee is that she and I have shared "dressing rooms" before at games, parades, etc. Not to mention I have seen the wee hobbit out doing yard work in shorts too. :wink:

Andrew...you naughty boy. Dee didn't say I had hobbit hands. I think you are trying to deflect a little payback by starting a hobbit fight. :wink: Face it...you dug the hole but the ladies are gonna bury you. :p Ya better tread carefully in the Ladies Room.

Chicago Kathy
03-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Hey, Allison -- pass me a shovel, will you? :)

Kathy C.

Margaret
03-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Sheesh, ya leave for a long weekend, come back, and find this thread is still alive :lol:

Margaret

Tommy P.
03-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Cameron, we're thinking of different photos aren't we?

Son of Cam
03-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Isn't it time for everyone to go and put their knickers back on and go practice??

Love2Drum
03-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Ya but, as you can tell from this thread, some of us like to practice without knickers! :lol:

ChickaDee
03-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Knickers....OMG!! I remember when those had a brief (fortunately!!) comeback....I believe I wore some to my first school dance in the 7th grade. MacBubba....surely you don't mean THAT dance picture, huh??? I thought I burned all
those!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Gallagher
03-25-2005, 09:29 AM
I had kept this a secret from all but a few close friends, but this is a good time to tell this story on myself.
It is well known that married men will not throw away worn out old under wear. I am no different. When under wear is old and the elastic waist band is worn out, this is when they are the most comfortable.
On St. Patricks Day 2004 I got up early, showered, got dressed and drove to Dogtown (the old Irish neighborhood of St. Louis) and met the guys for breakfast before the parade. I had put on a very old pair of boxers. The waist band was shot. I really could not keep them up on my waist. Before tuning up at our line up spot I went into a johnnie on the spot. I was so tired of fighting with these boxers, I took them off and threw them in a trash can near the johnnie. I spent the rest of the day regimental. I did not like it, but it beats having a pair of boxers falling down while you are playing.
After that day I took my wife's advice and bought all new under wear.
I don't know what would be worse, having a gust of wind reveal a guys old under wear or Mr Johnson and the lads.

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-25-2005, 09:52 AM
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;Originally posted by ChickaDee:
&lt;strong&gt; Knickers....OMG!! I remember when those had a brief (fortunately!!) comeback....I believe I wore some to my first school dance in the 7th grade. MacBubba....surely you don't mean THAT dance picture, huh??? I thought I burned all
those!!!! :wink: (Uh...knickers is underwear Dee-wee...ya know, like..."Don't get yer knickers in a twist" = "Don't get yer panties in a wad")
:lol: :lol: :lol:

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Oh...here's your shovel Kathy. Careful you don't smack Andrew upside the haid while yer burying him! :wink:

Love2Drum
03-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by David D. Gallagher:

It is well known that married men will not throw away worn out old under wear. I am no different. When under wear is old and the elastic waist band is worn out, this is when they are the most comfortable.
Oh good, its not just MY hubby that does that then. I don't know how he keeps the things up!!

Its funny as hell though to see them start drifting "South" under the kilt as he marches! :D

ChickaDee
03-25-2005, 10:21 AM
(Uh...knickers is underwear Dee-wee...) <a href="http://www.golfknicker.com/p4cogokn.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

KNICKERS!!</a>

My 'knickers' were a soft, pink velvet that had the cutest little pink button at the knees. I also had the Farrah Fawcett wanna-be hairdo!! :thumb:

ThugPiper '72
03-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Not really sure what to say about that one, Dee?????? Those crazy 80's!

Chicago Kathy
03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I relate to 80s hair, Dee. I had a white girl Afro in those days, myself. Not a good look for a Polish girl. 'Specially when it starts to grow out flat at the top. (Note to self: find pictures and burn.) :eek:

Kathy C.

KDC
03-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi David

Sounds like you made the right choice on that particulr day. Your story reminded me of something that happened to my brother years ago...

When he was about 15 he marched in the Rose Bowl Parade with Ontario Massed Bands and well, let's just say he did not choose his Jockey's wisely that day. The parade, as many may know is very long - I think about 7 miles (someone will correct me if I am wrong)...

He knew right from the beginning that he was in trouble. After a few miles of hitching his gitch, he knew he had to do something. The TV cameras were coming up and they were about to show him with his underwear around his knees to the entire world.

Lucky for him he was in the middle of a hundred or so pipers. With a little shake and a wiggle he let those underwear drop to his ankles and he just stepped out of them.

We still laugh when we think about what the clean-up crew after the parade must have thought.

To this day, he uses this as his rationale for going commando and I use it as chance to tell an embarassing but funny story about my brother.

Kelly

Jeanne
03-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Oh...here's your shovel Kathy. Careful you don't smack Andrew upside the haid while yer burying him! Andrew - I think you forgot that this is a group of women who carry knives in their socks! :D

ThugPiper '72
03-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Not "man-friendly" territory, this Ladies Room is!

Andrew Lenz
03-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Jeanne:
Andrew - I think you forgot that this is a group of women who carry knives in their socks! :D It's the men that need the knives . . . women's tongues are plenty sharp!

Andrew

Rojellio
03-25-2005, 11:56 PM
My 'knickers' were a soft, pink velvet that had the cutest little pink button at the knees. I also had the Farrah Fawcett wanna-be hairdo!! What you call them depends who is wearing them, and the style. If a Women is wearing Golf Knickers, then "Knickers" might be appropriate.

If a Gentleman is wearing them, they are "plus-twos" unless the gentleman is going retro with the poofier &amp; lower draping/blousing plus-fours. If a Man wearing plus-2's doesnt have the common sense and decency to wear top shelf saddle shoes with the brass plate thingie. (about $250) and a sharp looking shirt and matching hat.. then by all means call them "Knickers".

ThugPiper '72
03-26-2005, 08:46 AM
huh? say what?

Rojellio
03-26-2005, 10:48 AM
huh? say what? Golf Knickers were introduced to derail the topic a bit.

Much the same way that an 8 yard skirt is refered to as a Kilt when worn by a man, Golf "knickers" are refered to as Plus-Twos when worn by a man.

The chances that anyone will actually see plus twos worn is slim at best, as very few golfers wear them. Its hard enough to find Golfers who actually enjoy the game more than they enjoy driving a cart and talking on thier cell phone. Sadly, Golf Carts and "devil boxes" are allowed on way too many courses.

New Hudson Highlander
03-26-2005, 04:07 PM
I really can't believe this thread is still going...so why am I posting :confused: :confused:

Oh yes. Regimental sound so much more dignified than commando. Maybe it's the "Friends" connection. Never saw what others apparently did in that show. Senseless tripe if you ask me, but then again, nobody asked.

Anyway. There it is. My 397th post.

I gotta get out more...Spring better come soon! :banana:

-NHH

Colonel644
03-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Ya know it's not the topic I'm laughing with tears about, It's rather the kosher terms and names given to the topic(s) in general.

I'm still laughing.

John MacDonald
03-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Just to keep this bubbling, tave a look at this image from the 1960's british comedy; 'Carry on up the Khyber'

http://www.kiltmen.com/khyber.jpg

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
03-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by John MacDonald:
Just to keep this bubbling, tave a look at this image from the 1960's british comedy; 'Carry on up the Khyber'

http://www.kiltmen.com/khyber.jpg My guess is those knitted wool knickers under their kilts got a bit warm so they are trying to catch a cooling breeze while the Sergeant-Major has his back turned. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Sanderson
03-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Right Lads... Fix bayonetts, then charge!!!

Randy J. Homer
03-28-2005, 08:27 AM
It seems that even the daily Yahoo News page has picked up on your topic:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20050325.html

John MacDonald
03-28-2005, 09:03 AM
from Dave..........

Right Lads... Fix bayonetts, then charge!!!

http://s93583130.onlinehome.us/kiltedlife/galleryhist2.html

No wonder the enemy were scared!!

David Corbett
03-28-2005, 02:58 PM
should we start a band? "The Royal Regimental Sticks and Drones"

ThugPiper '72
03-28-2005, 05:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

http://www.kiltmen.com/khyber.jpg My guess is those knitted wool knickers under their kilts got a bit warm so they are trying to catch a cooling breeze while the Sergeant-Major has his back turned. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: [/QB]</div></div>Well, at least some of the women are having a laugh about this. This topic has definitely gone in the "guys" direction.

Bannergirl
03-31-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why regimental is so hard to understand. I spent at least 20 minutes in a port-a-potty trying to wrestle the miles of wool into a more advantageous position. If it weren't for the issues Dee mentioned, the fact that this body had 3 children, and my age, I might consider it myself. I don't think this garment was designed for women.. :D

Drums4now
04-11-2005, 08:16 PM
I thought I read somewhere that "regimental" came about not as a tradition, but as a rebellion :mad: by Scottish regiments who were denied undergarments by one of the Georges (kingly version)or other, out of shear cheepness. As it is a "tradition" of all Ancients
to go free all under, under things being a relatively modern contrivance, the story seems reasonable. Do we have any historians in the tent? :confused:

Dave Sanderson
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
It wasn't till the mid 19th century that what we would consider as underwear existed for either sex.

Mens shirts went to the mid thigh and were tucked into breeches and eventualy trousers or in the case of a kilt hung straight down with the kilt buckled over top.

Women wore a shift or chimise that was sort of a long under dress type of thing to the mid calfs. Over this around the torso was a set of stays to give support to the back and lift the chest/bossum with a gown or dress over this as well.

On colder days the shirts or shifts were gathered between the legs for warmth but for the most part underneath you were nekid.

The Geordies could not forbid what did not exist, so in fact yes everyone was free underneath.

Dave

Drums4now
04-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Dave,
Would you know, then, did one of the more modern monarchs snubb the Scots, or is there no relation to the term "going regimental" and any regiment which conducted such a protest, in modern (under garment wearing)times, that is?

Kent

Dave Sanderson
04-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Not that I know of but you might get a better answer from some of the serving or past serving members from the UK. There were protests or near mutinies in the old days due to food, lack of pay, inconsistant discipline, you know the usual stuff soldiers gripe about.

The whole thing is a left over tradition from the old days and continues, some do, some won't.

The most auwkward thing I've done while "regimental" is load &amp; fire a flintlock musket in the prone position,it takes a fair amount of rolling around with your legs straight.

ThugPiper '72
04-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Are we still talking about this???

Tommy P.
04-13-2005, 04:37 AM
:lol: Yes you are. :lol:

Drums4now
04-13-2005, 09:06 PM
CFH,
Just trying to wrap this up with some naked truth. :shrug:

RosieJ
04-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Bannergirl:
I'm still trying to figure out why regimental is so hard to understand. I spent at least 20 minutes in a port-a-potty trying to wrestle the miles of wool into a more advantageous position. If it weren't for the issues Dee mentioned, the fact that this body had 3 children, and my age, I might consider it myself. I don't think this garment was designed for women.. :D I remember reading somewhere on the forums about a woman who came out of a restroom, not realizing that some of her pleats had gotten tucked into her underwear in the back. Barkeep said: "Now THAT'S why we go regimental"!
:lol:

MacBubba
04-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Drums4now:
Where does the term "regimental" come from??? :shrug: Regi - from the same root as "regal" - a king or supreme ruler

mental - in the mind

So the term was adopted by those who think they are superior, but it's all in their mind.

http://chem2.uca.edu/bowling_kilt.gif

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
04-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Last Saturday I got some great pic's of a few male band members demonstrating why it is not a good idea for men to wear a kilt without underwear! :lol: No, no...they weren't regimental but geez, if they had been... :eek:

I'll just say that apparently dark blue and black boxer briefs are quite the fashionable thing to wear under a kilt. Had they leaned back in their chairs just a wee bit I probably could have said what brand of boxers they were wearing! :lol:

cajunscot
04-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Perhaps everyone who goes regimental could have a course at a finishing school for young ladies on how to sit etc., :D

Chicago Kathy
04-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Well... My working theory is that if a 10 year old girl can master a skill, so can an adult male. :cool: The rest is all about motivation. :)

Kathy C.

Tommy P.
04-14-2005, 07:19 PM
"Motivation",......Kathy I love it!!

I bet if a few of you women started carrying "pea-shooters" around with you, some of these friggin' slobs would learn to sit correctly!! :D

Chicago Kathy
04-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Oh dear. Well, Tommy, let me just check with the others.

*fweeeeet* Hey, ladies... anybody up for target practice?? :smokin:

RosieJ
04-15-2005, 07:37 AM
Oh dear. Well, Tommy, let me just check with the others.

*fweeeeet* Hey, ladies... anybody up for target practice??

Wow, Kathy, what a great idea! :lol: Now, lessee, how do you make spitballs again??! :idea: It's been awhile since the old schoolgirl days. Oh, yeah,now I remember, make 'em good and soggy, and then we'll need lots of straws......... Hey, and we'll need a point system, too; see who gets nearest the mark......... :wow: :banana: :banana:

brad
04-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Er, uh,
I wonder what the response would be from the women in the forum, if some of the comments in this thread were by men, using women as "targets".

***my hats are off to the excellent moderators here!**
:hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff:

Brad

Chicago Kathy
04-15-2005, 09:01 AM
You've got a point, Brad.

But speaking for myself, if (a) the ammunition were spitballs, and (b) the targets were supposedly private bits, being indiscriminately flashed out of a complete lack of consideration for others, I might be sorely tempted to join in. In any group there are always a few clueless people who don't seem to listen to gentle reminders. :rolleyes:

Kathy

cajunscot
04-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Well,ain't that the truth Kathy? :thumb:

MacBubba
04-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by brad:
Er, uh,
I wonder what the response would be from the women in the forum, if some of the comments in this thread were by men, using women as "targets".

Brad Well, brad, this is the "Ladies' Room" after all. We really ain't supposed to be here, but they don't have an effective lock on the door (kind of like a gas station - anyone ever read the comic strip "Geech"?).

http://chem2.uca.edu/geech_ladies_room_door.gif

Chicago Kathy
04-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Anyway, guys, no real offense intended. I'm sorry if I disturbed anyone. Sometimes I get a little too busy being Class Clown.

Back to the Beer Tent now...

Kathy C.

MacBubba
04-15-2005, 11:48 AM
No offense taken, at least not here. If we can't have a little fun, we're missing out on the point of it all. :hatoff:

RosieJ
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
What, you mean I've got to throw away all my ammunition????!! :lol:

And here I was starting to save straws......

Good point, Brad. But then, how many men DO make comments like that about Women in the, er, MEN's room?! :lol: But out of our hearing, of course.......

Richard Strayer
04-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cajunscot:
Perhaps everyone who goes regimental could have a course at a finishing school for young ladies on how to sit etc., :D I have to admit that until I took up the bagpipes and got into the whole Scottish garb scene the one thing I never imagined myself doing as a middle-aged man is having a conversation with my Mom regarding the best way to gracefully enter and exit a car while wearing a knee-length skirt.

annecooke
04-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Yes, RosieJ it was I who you mentioned back on page 7, exiting the loo in New York City in preparation for a Pipefest event with my kilt tucked into my knickers... I wish I could tell you that was the only time it happened...but no, I have had simliar situations.

I think I may have to take up redhairedpiper's advice, the thong... Can one be too old for a thong? Do men wear thongs??? Is this too much information...

Anne :bleh:

ThugPiper '72
04-15-2005, 06:12 PM
What's the purpose of a thong anyway? You might as well not being wearing underwear.....

Chicago Kathy
04-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Not only does it have no apparent purpose, but it's hard to imagine anything less comfortable. Not for my wide Polish behind, anyway. :woohoo:

Kathy C.

MacDhughaill
04-15-2005, 08:16 PM
.... and then it went missing.

Chicago Kathy
04-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Colonel644
04-16-2005, 12:50 AM
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;Originally posted by annecooke:
&lt;strong&gt; Yes, RosieJ it was I who you mentioned back on page 7, exiting the loo in New York City in preparation for a Pipefest event with my kilt tucked into my knickers... I wish I could tell you that was the only time it happened...but no, I have had simliar situations.

I think I may have to take up redhairedpiper's advice, the thong... Can one be too old for a thong? Do men wear thongs??? Is this too much information...

Anne :smokin:

Chicago Kathy
04-16-2005, 05:39 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :hatoff:

HepcatBob
04-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Chicken Fried Haggis:
What's the purpose of a thong anyway? Butt floss!!! :eek: :lol:

VeggiePiper
04-17-2005, 11:13 AM
After a few miles of hitching his gitch, he knew he had to do something. Interesting term, 'Gitch'...apparently that is a very Canadian term for underwear, (also 'gotch', 'gotchies'). It's even in the Oxford Canadian dictionary, from an original Ukranian word for underwear! Most of my American and British friends have never heard the term. :confused:

RosieJ
04-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by annecooke:
Yes, RosieJ it was I who you mentioned back on page 7, exiting the loo in New York City in preparation for a Pipefest event with my kilt tucked into my knickers... I wish I could tell you that was the only time it happened...but no, I have had simliar situations.

Anne :bleh: Thanks for letting me know who it was, Anne, I didn't remember. Thought it was a great story though! And believe me I'm careful leaving the loo after hearing that one! Nothing like learning from the experiences of others! :bleh:

annecooke
04-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Disco globe thong.... the mind boggles. :shrug:

perhaps that's the problem.

Anne

Matt Buckley_dup1
04-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Hmmmmm. 192 posts and still going strong. Apparently the ladies really are obsessed with all things related to .... :wink:

04-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Thongs?
I saw someone in a chatroom who's chat name was "Thongs crack me up"
For anyone really really eager to try target practice, here ya go...

:wow: :wow:

Tommy P.
04-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Matt, reading your line about the ladies being obsessed raised my curiosity.
After checking;
eighty-five of the posts are from women,.....
one hundred and four are from men.

I'm leaving now.......

RosieJ
04-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Thank you for pointing that out, Tommy. Geez, I wouldn't have thought to count. And who's obsessed......? :idea:

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
04-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Tommy..:
After checking;

I'm leaving now....... ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hatoff: Thanks Tommy!

Margaret
04-21-2005, 10:14 AM
After checking;
one hundred and four are from men.I knew men had posted more, but I was too lazy to count - Thanks Tommy :wave:

Margaret

VeggiePiper
04-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by annecooke:
I think the idea of the thong being better is there is "nothing" to catch one's kilt in after hiking the kilt up, the "gotch" up and down..or is that down and up :shrug:

perhaps that's the problem.

Anne I once had a young man caress my backside at a nightclub, and then asked if I was a thong type of gal; to which I answered "Yes, but they come in pairs, and I wear them on my feet"

The look on his face was priceless! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif

I'm looking for a plaid thong..or plaid boxers

Pat :wink:

HepcatBob
04-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by commdiva:

I'm looking for a plaid thong..
Back in '99, I was a contestant on Wheel of Fortune and I wore a violet, double-breasted zoot suit with a shiny silver shirt. Pat Sajak said that if it weren't for his plaid thong, he would feel absolutely boring.

Andrew Lenz
04-21-2005, 10:19 PM
I once had a young man caress my backside at a nightclubIf a young man caressed my backside, he'd end up with a knuckle sandwich!

If any kilted women need a thong check, I'll volunteer my services!

*OW* *OW *OW* ("Honey-bun, sorry, I was just kidding!")

Wives—they just don't understand humor . . .

Andrew

VeggiePiper
04-21-2005, 10:37 PM
If any kilted women need a thong check, I'll volunteer my services! Left foot forward, right foot forward! Maybe I should get a pedicure before the thong check!!

:wow:

A. Shack
04-22-2005, 08:36 AM
After checking;

I'm leaving now....... ...and of those 104 men's posts, 18 are from you.(17%) :D

04-22-2005, 09:12 AM
COMMDIVA:

Seeing as you're from THERE, why not have one done up for you in leather?

:D

VeggiePiper
04-22-2005, 10:28 AM
OOOOH, never thought of that...good idea! Maybe not a thong, but a little leather pair of hot pants (now that's dating me!!) :wink:

04-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Is the guy who rubbed your bum dating you, too? :D :D :D

Richard Strayer
04-22-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm looking for a plaid thong..or plaid boxers

Pat :wink: I don't know about plaid, but I'm increasingly seeing (offered for sale - not "in use") thongs emblazoned with pipe band logos/names. Here's a random example:

Pipe Band Thong (http://www.cafepress.com/ihpipeband/264341)

At least some bands appear to be outsourcing their band merchandise to this Cafepress service, which includes thongs in their apparel inventory.

AndrewMac
04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Newbie:
If a man were to approach a woman with a similar demand he'd be arrested, so let's all say that whatever is under the kilt should be kept confidential?
I had to chuckle over the posts making reference to people being naked under their kilts. That's sort of in the same vein as a woman being, "Kinda pregnant." You either are, or you are not. If clad in a kilt, one is, by definition, clothed. The extent to which the clothing does the job for which it was intended is subject to the existence (or lack) of discretion in the one donning (or doffing) the article in question.

However, please spare us the "plaidie police" mentality.

I am totally in agreement with the idea that someone dressing in the "manner and style of Reggie" needs to keep his wits (aprons, pleats and sporran) about him BEFORE effecting any sitting, kneeling or unusual standing posture.

When it comes to what I wear beneath any of the kilts I ofttimes choose as my attire -- pipe band related or not -- it is no one's business BUT MINE OWN!! I intend to keep it that way, and I will thank any and everyone else to mind their own bl__din' business. I don't tell YOU what to wear, and I expect the same courtesy in return.

Thank you.

Colonel644
04-22-2005, 05:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by commdiva:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> I once had a young man caress my backside at a nightclubIf a young man caressed my backside, he'd end up with a knuckle sandwich!
Andrew </span></div></div>I think your missing a compliment there,, or at least a free drink!!!!! :smokin:

KPR
04-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Re; Regimental... if you were in the Army at one time, in a Highland Regiment and you had underware on, you would of had the sh-t kicked out of you. Traditions die hard.... women were never to wear kilts....only dresses. No bloody excuse for men to be exposing themselves either. Deportment is gone with the wind, we all strived to be gentlemen at one time, regardless of rank or stature. Cheers, Remembering when men were men.

Rocky Ricoco
04-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Finally a breath of fresh air, I admire your candor.

ladypiper47
04-24-2005, 05:43 PM
WHO KNEW????????????????

when I started this thread that almost 2 months and 9 pages later I would still come into this forum and find someone addressing this topic?

Obviously we have too much idle time ----- back to your practice chanters. That is a direct order from you PMs.

Tommy P.
04-25-2005, 07:11 AM
KPR That sir, was the most reasonable post I've seen in nine friggin' pages!