PDA

View Full Version : Kiltmakers?

Vermont Piper
03-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone knew of someone who would make a kilt at the last(!) minute? I just came up with the money to get 8 yards of my fiancee's family's tartan (from Wales, EEEK! Expensive!), and had wanted to have him wear his family's tartan at our wedding (24 days from now). Am I being totally ridiculous in asking this? I don't have my heart set on it, but it would be great if I could make it happen.

Thanks,

Jackie

Love2Drum
03-24-2005, 08:13 AM
I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could do it that quickly, it usually takes a good month-month and a half to have one made.

Have you thought about maybe using the tartan in another way?

Champion Bagpipes
03-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Try our suppliers at www.cameronkilts.com (http://www.cameronkilts.com)
They are excellent, might be able to do it.

Best of luck
Sons of Scotland PB
Ottawa, Canada

ThugPiper '72
03-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Check out Highland Heritage, Ltd., in Maryland. They might.

Tammy
03-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Mrs. Blandford makes all the kilts in her shop for the R.P. Blandford & Sons pipe band in Redlands, CA. She's very nice and does great work. If you speak to her directly she may help you out or suggest other kiltmakers.

No, that's me over there...
03-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Why not lay it out like a belted plaid? It would only have to be hand-pleated, and buckled on. There are several websites instructing how to do that, and it would make an interesting change from typical kilts.

Klondike Waldo
03-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by No-that's-me-over-there:
Why not lay it out like a belted plaid? It would only have to be hand-pleated, and buckled on. There are several websites instructing how to do that, and it would make an interesting change from typical kilts. :idea:
yep, and then you get really traditional and romantic and roll both of you up in it after the wedding (like in all those old ballads).

You can always get the feilebeag made later.

John MacDonald
04-25-2005, 07:07 AM
This will probably not be of any use to you due to the date that you posted the original request, but I thought some readers may make use of it, particularly those in Southern England.............

Mr Wade is an ex Guards Regimental Tailor, who now instructs all of those tailors who, themselves, wish to become a military "master tailor" . His speciality is Kiltmaking.

Joe Wade; 51 The Copse, Southwood, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 0QD. Phone 01252 519308. Fax: 01252 663604 Mobile: 07773 908017
joe.wade@ntlworld.com

http://www.joewade-kilts.co.uk

HotScot
04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi, Jackie,

If your other leads don't turn out, Hazel Canny made all of our band kilts. She can turn a beautiful kilt in 2 days- all hand stitched! She's in Houston, though. Let me know if you need her phone number

Good Luck with everything

Elaine

JRM
04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Burnett's & Struth in Barrie Ontario Canada is another possibility.

mtiierney
05-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Jackie,
Too bad I didn't start reading these forums earlier. I could have helped you out if you already had the tartan. I make kilts. If you still need one made I am located in Massachusetts. I was trained by Ann Stewart from NY. I go to the Quechee Games. You can call me at 978-337-7373.

MichelleB
05-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Hazel Canney made one of my kilts, too. She does great work.