PDA

View Full Version : Guy stuff?

RosieJ
08-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Here's a topic starter. I don't know how to start a poll, so I'm tossing this out for discussion!

How many of us have always done "guy" things of some type or another and don't think anything of it? Whereas we may have girlfriends who wouldn't DREAM of doing something like put down a tile floor, change the oil in the car, or paint the house.

Now, having two sons and a husband, and therefore at this time being the only girl in the house (well, except for the dog and the cat), I probably do more girl stuff than I used to, just to balance out the feminine side a bit(nail polish and wearing a dress to church for example). Also trying to LOOK as much like a female as possible in the band uniform, so people see WOMEN can play the pipes, not just MEN! (Though I've had friends insist they didn't see me; "there were only guys in the parade"!)

But if I ever wanted to do something that was looked upon as being a "masculine" activity, I just did it anyway. Took woodshop in HS, majored in bugs of all things (aka entomology) and while maybe I felt a bit out of place, I was too stubborn NOT do it.

So, how do you look at yourselves? I guess I'm showing my age by asking this (50!yippee!) as nowadays maybe it's politically incorrect to even IMPLY that there are male/female activities. I suppose I'm wondering if female pipers tend to lean towards more traditionally masculine interests, or whether there's absolutely no basis for thinking that, and we have as great a variety of activities and interests as anyone.

Oh, geez, and I hope I haven't insulted anybody by asking this! I don't mean to imply anything, anyhow, anyway!! :eek:

Margaret
08-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Yup, me too. I can drive a tractor, a 30' stock trailer (forward and backward!), Sail big boats and little boats. I just recovered the front seats on my VW Bus (by myself).....I also love to garden, decorate and am finally, at 43, learning how to knit, thanks to my Mom!

Margaret

Colonel644
08-09-2005, 03:26 AM
:humm:

ClosetPiper
08-09-2005, 04:40 AM
Count me in -
I've had girl friends come get me to change their flat tire,
I too can drive a tractor,
I prefer (and own) five on the floor (my husband has the automatic),
Did I mention, after waiting 38 years, my beloved BoSox won the series last year (i.e., I can talk sports),
I'm employeed in a "good ol' boy" industry, with an advanced degree in the male dominated sciences. . .
Now I'm talking about ordering my first kilt, and buying some ghillies -

My poor parents, they thought they had a "cute little girl", and even at over forty, I'm still a "tom boy". . .

I've always liked your tag line, RosieJ (and now I'm even more impressed, 'cause I ain't an entomologist!!) -
But I was corrupt before I ever dreamed of taking up the pipes. . .
So, I share my "thoughts" about doing whatever I want to do, from Albert Camus: ". . .And in the midst of winter, I found that there was in me an invincible summer. . ."

sandpiper
08-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Count me in too. Like you RosieJ, I'm the only girl in the house. but I do my own home improvement projects, drywalling, painting, tiles... Hubby is on the road pipe welding most of the time and I won't pay someone to do it for me, unless of course it's something I don't dare mess with like electrical or plumbing. But if I applied myself, I'm sure I could figure that out too! :thumb: I also knit, crochet, scrapbooking and gardening.
I don't bother to do my nails, my hands are just too busy to keep them nice, but I do wear dresses almost all the time. Because I'm a solo piper, I can wear the ladies' kilt and there is no mistaking me for a guy.

Chip Shuler
08-09-2005, 07:44 AM
My fiancee is an absolutely beautiful woman who does her hair and her nails and agonizes over what to wear whenever we go out. She's also one hell of a nurse who's about to go for her master's degree.

But she also rebuilt the engine in her old Pathfinder. Her new Jeep is a 5-speed manual. And she can drive my 6-speed MINI Cooper S like she is a professional race driver. (Yes, we've compared times at autocross tracks, and she's neck & neck with me, close to some of the best times of the day). All of these traditionally masculine traits that she has balance out her feminine side and make her more real and down to earth to me.

Heck, I could babble on here for hours about her, but I'll just leave it at this: I wouldn't trade her for the world. Smart, beautiful, AND into cars? Yeah, I'm definitely the lucky one.

annefrommass
08-09-2005, 07:52 AM
I can change my tire. I can hang sheetrock (though I prefer not to). I can run a tablesaw, chainsaw, etc. I just replaced the water pump on my car (I did have some help there). However, the one things I can't do is drive a 5-speed. Haven't mastered that yet. I have always lived by "anything you can do, I can do better" even if I can't...I can at least try.

Jan
08-09-2005, 08:49 AM
I served in the Air Force for 3 years (1970-1973) and even though I was never a prissy girl or woman, I was somewhat on the wimpy side. I learned a lot in the Air Force and became more independant.
I am not much for participating or watching sports but I was an outdoor trainer for the Girl Scouts for many years. So I did lots of camping, some of it very primitive : digging latrines, building fires, pitching tents, etc. - no hunting though. I spent a week in Alaska with a group of teenaged girls.
I love to sail and I like to fish. I don't get much of a chance to fish ( my husband doesn't like fishing).
I avoid wearing makeup and High heels. I wear reebocks everyday and I don't own a dress.
I learned to drive a stick shift in a Japanese Suziki jeep in 1973. The driver's side was on the right, so I learned to shift left-handed. I can also change a tire, though prefer not to.
Before my allergies caught up with me I mowed the lawn and trimmed the yard.
Most of all I am good with Math and work in the mechanical engineering field. Did a little surveying too.
I have worked in male dominated offices for almost 30 years.

In spite of all that I am still feminine.....I am Woman!!!

MichelleB
08-09-2005, 08:55 AM
All the power tools in the garage belong to me.
I do all the handy-man projects at home.
I replace light fixtures, faucets, light switches, etc.
I do minor plumbing repairs.
I can drive a standard.
I can patch and re-texture drywall.
I can float a drywall joint.
I don't like shopping.

At least I keep my toenails painted and my hair long.

:rolleyes:

Love2Drum
08-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I was a serious tom-boy growing up and am still a tom-boy. I'm not afraid to get dirty, I like to play sports. I can do some work on my car, can't tell you what the carbeurator does but I know how to change my fluids, tires etc. I do a lot of DIY around the house, am not afraid to paint, do moulding etc.

I can tie a necktie, but my husband can't. I can hang a new door including new hardware, lay new gas lines, dig out 2 tons of dirt and lay a brick patio.

On the other hand, I'm in a typicaly female position at work (hate it death), like to do needlepoint and garden, and at times have been known to put on a dress and makeup.

I like to think of myself as someone who "cleans up nicely" :thumb: .

OrangeQueen
08-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Let's put it this way, for Christmas my fiance got the gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and I got the one to Lowe's. In addition to minor house repairs, I love to work on cars (replaced the head gasket, timing belt and oxygen sensor in my car a few years back - thanks to a small flood). I own more firearms than my fiance (larger calibers, too), and am looking forward to getting an air compressor and generator from the parents as a wedding present. :D

I try to do the dress-up thing whenever I can, but I guess for most of us the only time the people in the band see us dressed up is once a year at a holiday party, if that. I'm lucky to have several women in my band, but most of the time, I just accept being one of the guys.

It is nice to see so many other women who are 'multi-talented' as well. Either the barriers really are breaking down or bagpiping attracts some interesting people!

Love2Drum
08-09-2005, 11:52 AM
OrangeQueen, I have to laugh, I also am into firearms. I grew up with guns as a target shooter. I loved my Glock and Berreta 9 mils, and my fave was the AR-15 rifle. Hubby hates guns.

I never hunted, dad and brother did, but I was happy to eat what they caught. The girly side of me likes animals too much to kill them, but I don't mind eating them.

I've also only ever owned pickup trucks. I like them dirty too :). I used to love coming to school with my truck covered in mud while some of my more prissy well-to-do classmates showed up in their shiny sports cars. Girls all driving their "cute" cars. Puhlease. Give me a truck any day!

MichelleB
08-09-2005, 12:11 PM
:lol:. My husband has to tie my band tie for me EVERY time. If he doesn't someone in the band has to do it. I am capable of it but the knot is then as big as my head. :lol:

HotScot
08-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I keep mine tied & just slide it over my head each time, either that or get out the Land's End How To Tie A Tie instructions that I keep in my top drawer (I do, though, tie a wide variety of "surgeon's knots" without written instructions) :thumb:

Celtic Mitch
08-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow, I thought I was doing good changing the distributor cap, in the rain, by myself! I'm in awe of some of your accomplishments ladies!

I can drive a stick also and 1 ton trucks (not lately but did it for a job I had once). I can install most computer stuff myself (hardware) and move my own furnature around..with one hand...while baking a cake an ironing with the other...ok now I'm just getting silly.

But, I'm so glad to see you gals out there taking the bull by the horns and just doin' it!

Love2Drum
08-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Ya, but Mitch, can you move that furniture, bake that cake and iron while wearing heels? Ha, thats the true test! :lol:

Celtic Mitch
08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Well...let me give it a try. I'll get back to you on that! :wink:

arash
08-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Interesting . . . so pyping is like a male dominated thing? I guess it's not terribly surprising to me, but my teacher happens to be a woman and many of the people I have met in the local pyping community are women, so I never really saw it as a male/female thing.

Even more interesting since I tend to have only female friends, am in a female dominated industry (family planning) and am not sure who the BoSox are :) I guess pyping is the manliest thing I do.

While we are on the subject:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-Bagpipes-Pi...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-Bagpipes-PiperGirl-Woman-girl-Bagpiper-TShirt_W0QQitemZ7342391647QQcategoryZ16226QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

I bought this one recently (without the silhouettes of the women):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-Bagpipes-Ch...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-Bagpipes-Chicks-Dig-Bagpipers-T-Shirt-FUNNY_W0QQitemZ7341534240QQcategoryZ16226QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

-A

Linz
08-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Hell! I'm in the Army! 18 years! Spent the first 11 as a helicopter mechanic. In the National Guard now, got 4 years till I retire, and then I can pipe ALL DAY if I want. Just got back from a week in the field this morning, knitted a sock in the bus on the way home! So yes, I do "Girl stuff" too. I cook, bake, garden, and do housework when I'm forced. I can fix my car, set fence, chain down trucks to the deck of a cargo ship, shoot and clean my M16, bake a Wedding cake, shrink-wrap a Blackhawk helicopter (Yes I really did - 6 times), clean a fleece, spin it, and knit it into a sweater. I own 4 rifles, 2 pistols and a shotgun, and until my eyes got old, fired expert at the range. I was the first female OH-58 Helicopter Crewchief and Platoon Sergeant in an Aviation Combat Arms Attack Helicopter Line Company in the 25th Infantry Division. (Rather proud of that, actually.) I've been a Helicopter Technical Inspector, Platoon Sergeant, (both Active and Guard), and I'm now Chief of Admin Services for my state. I'm a mother(5 kids, 3 grands), a wife, a Sergeant First Class, and someday maybe (God willing and the creek don't rise) a Piper. I wear a skirt whenever possible, because I like to remind myself that I'm still a girl, even if I dress like a guy all day at work. I cannot program a VCR, work a cash register, or figure out the phone system in our new building, but I will stop and ask for directions. I'm 52 years old. Can't have everything.

Les Matheson
08-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Linz:
Hell! I'm in the Army! 18 years! Spent the first 11 as a helicopter mechanic. In the National Guard now, got 4 years till I retire, and then I can pipe ALL DAY if I want. Good on you, but I can tell you after 26 + years of experience, once you retire you have to find a "real" job.

My Mom always wanted to know what I was going to do after I grew up and quit playing with airplanes. Well, now I play with airplane simulators.

Jeanne
08-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Being divorced while my brother and I were still small, my mother had to do things because there was no one else to do them. To this day, she does everything in our house except plumbing and electric, and does a darn good job. She is also one of the most gentle and ladylike people (on the surface of it) that you'd ever care to meet.

And yes, the genes do go on. I used to keep my police revolver in my lingerie drawer, and it was always an ironic picture to see that gun - with which I once outshot my sergeant on the range - laying next to all those pink satin jammies. :D

HepcatBob
08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by arash:

While we are on the subject:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-Bagpipes-Pi...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-Bagpipes-PiperGirl-Woman-girl-Bagpiper-TShirt_W0QQitemZ7342391647QQcategoryZ16226QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

I bought this one recently (without the silhouettes of the women):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-Bagpipes-Ch...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-Bagpipes-Chicks-Dig-Bagpipers-T-Shirt-FUNNY_W0QQitemZ7341534240QQcategoryZ16226QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

-A At www.zazzle.com (http://www.zazzle.com) you can design your own t-shirt. If you want any graphics on it, you need to have the image file on your computer. They've got a pretty decent selection of fonts for text, too. I tried it a few weeks ago, and I got the shirts within a few days.

piob player
08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
After one of those band trips to Scotland, I became a serious rock/snow/ice climber. Being the only girl for weeks on end with a bunch of climbers in demanding situations didn't seem that much different from competing in the World's except the scenery was better and the stakes were a little higher (life threatening moments). Certainly good to have more than 1 great passion.

ladypiper47
08-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Count me in on this discussion. I am not a tomboy and did not like sports, but it just rarely occured to me that I wasn't expected to do certain things.
About 5 years ago, I walked into the local parts distributor for appliances and asked if I could get a little motor for my dishwasher. The guy said yes but he would need to see the motor to be sure. I took it out of my purse and put it on the table. He just stared at it and then at me. Apparently, I was only the second woman who had ever done such a thing in the store.

barefootpiper
08-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I laid a wood floor once. It was actually kinda fun. :smokin: I hate mowing tho. :bleh:
Grace <+><

Gryphon
08-21-2005, 04:58 PM
My theory is that we all are striving for the ultimate developement of human potential, not extremely feminine or masculine, but the best of both. Perfection can be found in the piping world: women with power tools and men who like to wear skirts and ribbons on their bonnets :)

arash
08-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Right on! :) Well said Gryphon

-a

RosieJ
08-22-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm finding this really incredible! Geez, here I thought I did a few things, but wow, keeping a gun in your nightstand? vehicle engine maintenence? driving a tractor? (someday I might get to THAT one!) :lol:

I did want to say, though, that I don't want anybody to feel that they have to "one up" someone to add to the discussion; this is a question I put out there to see who does what, and not to make anybody feel like if they don't lay floors and drive tractors, they can't say so.

Without getting too gushy, I mean that EVERYBODY'S got something to say; are there women out there who wouldn't be caught dead cutting the grass, laying tiles, or trying to fix the dishwasher? Or is doing traditionally "guy things" part of feeling capable of playing the pipes, which in the PAST perhaps has been thought of as a more male dominated activity. I'm not saying there WERE no female pipers, just that there weren't as many of them 50-100 years ago as there are now.........just like a woman being in the military, or being the CEO of a company was more rare in the past.

Macswegan
08-26-2005, 06:47 AM
OK, Rosie, here goes . . .

I can't lay tile, drive a tractor, hang drywall, or fix plumbing. The only power tool I own is an electric screwdriver. I don't own a gun, nor do I know how to use one. I don't change my own oil. I've never mowed a lawn. I don't care very much about sports.

On the girly side: I'm not a very good cook. I can't sew. I'm a terrible housekeeper. I haven't ironed anything in at least a year. I can't apply makeup with any skill. I don't know how to give myself (or anyone else) a manicure or pedicure. I can't walk in high heels. I'm not stylish and I don't particularly like to dress up.

I think I deserve the all-round incompetence prize. :shrug:

mcswegan
08-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Au contraire, Macswegan. No incompetence prize for you.

You forgot to mention you have earned your PhD, are a Phi Beta Kappa, and are a fine piper. And you are a better cook than me. You have your own style and high heels are bad for you, anyway.

Stop posting nonsense.

Your loving sister (sometimes mistaken for your mother),
McSwegan

RosieJ
08-26-2005, 07:07 AM
Yeah, but are you happy? Do you feel that whatever you're doing is worthwhile? To me, that's what life's about, not what your material accomplishments are!

And, as far as guns go, I don't KNOW how to use one, and don't want to LEARN how to use one! :bleh: One of my sons wants to be a policeman, too; doing a undergrad degree in Criminology..........and the other ones working on a grad school degree in philosophy! Go figure! I went to high school in the late 60's and early 70's; just call me a peacenik.....or was it flowerchild? We figure both kids are working towards peace.......just in two opposite ways! Kids..................gotta love 'em! (where's that "hug" graemlin; anybody found one yet?!) :woohoo:

Love2Drum
08-26-2005, 08:55 AM
I figure, as a married woman, that some things should be left for the men to do. As far as I'm concerned, killing and/or removing bugs is a "Man's Job", mowing the lawn is a "Man's Job", and getting into the crawl space of a house with all the bugs is a "Man's Job". :lol:!!

You know what's fun though, I've only done it once. I can't remember what the heck I was doing, but it was some kind of typical men's work. We were at it pretty good and were dirty and whatnot, and I broke a nail off while working. I couldn't resist standing up and doing the stereotypical girly "Aw man, I broke a nail!" thing. I just wanted to see the other's reaction to it. It was mostly rolled eyes and laughing when they realized I did it on purpose. I like to screw with the men folk sometimes!

Colonel644
08-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Love2Drum:
can you move that furniture, bake that cake and iron while wearing heels? Ha, thats the true test! :lol: 4 inch or those clear plastic 9 inch platform heels that are the working uniform for so many working ladies??? :lol:

Colonel644
08-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Jeanne:

And yes, the genes do go on. I used to keep my police revolver in my lingerie drawer, and it was always an ironic picture to see that gun - with which I once outshot my sergeant on the range - laying next to all those pink satin jammies. :D I think the best and toughest patrol I've ever worked with was a gal named Tracy,,, Tracy is about 5 foot nothing and I've witnessed her down a 6'6'' built football player and make him cry as he walked ever so calmly to the back of the tranport vehicle ( Paddy Wagon ), Oh yeah did i mention she was an international Martial Arts comp winner??
Also one of the best looking and feminine acting ( Off duty and ON ) you'll ever want to meet.

( Jeanne, you don't keep your's under the pillow???, But I must confess I keep a small pistol in my jammie drawers too, and it's not Thunderwear either :wink: )

Love2Drum
08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Colonel644:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Love2Drum:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> can you move that furniture, bake that cake and iron while wearing heels? Ha, thats the true test! :lol: 4 inch or those clear plastic 9 inch platform heels that are the working uniform for so many working ladies??? :lol: </span></div></div>Oh please, those platforms are so guache. 4 inch is the only way to bake cakes. :D

shottsfan
08-26-2005, 11:19 AM
I describe myself as a tomboy with long hair and a soft side. I did mostly "boy" type things as a child; playing with Hot Wheel cars, climbing trees, exploring in the woods, getting into percussion in the 6th grade, etc. I was raised around hot rods, so know more about cars, engines, transmissions, etc. than most girls and even a lot of guys. It's kinda fun!

I am very comfortable with myself; being a very well rounded individual, in my own humble opinion. I can hang out with the guys watching NFL football, having a pint, or have a girls night of watching a chick flick and painting my toenails. I'm not afraid of much, but I will screech over seeing a spider. ICK!!!

I like knowing that I can be in almost any social situation and be able to fit in. Being more diverse, for me anyway, gives me more opportunities to get the most out of life. I love being around people and love experiencing new things.

I LOVE BEING A TOMBOY!!!

Deanna
aka shottsfan

Ian Lawther
08-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Just to flip this around I have been the one at home for the las tsix and a half years and am the one doing the shopping, cooking and school runs etc. The point when I realised quite how much of the female role I had taken on was when I sort of saw myself from outside as I stood in front of the sanitary towel shelf in Safeway checking to see if I had a coupon for the brand required.......

Got to dash...I have to get a five year old out of the bath,

Ian

Colonel644
08-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Takes a real man to do that Ian,,, Dude you rock!!!.

Anyone that can shop , run the household and type a post while the 5 year old is getting the bathroom floor wet??? and not go crazy???

You are one of the toughest men I know.

Ian Lawther
08-26-2005, 02:59 PM
and not go crazy???

Who said I'm not crazy????????

Ian

Colonel644
08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ian Lawther:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Colonel644:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> and not go crazy???

Who said I'm not crazy????????

Ian </span></div></div>OK , after thinking about it,, you have a good point there Ian , but you hide it well ( sometimes :humm: )

Gryphon
08-27-2005, 09:29 AM
So, do you suppose there is an inverse corrolation here? Are the men who take up piping more likely to be more in touch with their feminine side? Just being in the Ladies' Room to begin with may be an indication.

In my band, the guys are just as likely to write poetry as they are to chug beer and watch sports. Their professions:
Two engineers
Two Firefighter/Medics
EMS State Office
Photographer
Mental Health Caseworker
High School Physics Teacher
Sound &amp; Lighting Tech
Driver for Nursing Home
Restaraunt Worker

Of course there are the macho types out there but, overall do you think pipes attract more of the thoughtful, caring guys? This may not be the right forum to poll since the "manly" men probably wouldn't see it, or more likely wouldn't want to admit they were in the Ladies' Room.

Tartaniac
09-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Love2DRum -- Phew...I was beginning to think I'm the only drummer around. (Love2LugSide?)

Iconfess. I am feeling more at home in this discussion than any other I've had.

I was not born, I was gov'ment issued and raised in military. Need I say more?

First week after my honeymoon, after moving into my hubby's house, I was installing the doggie door out the back as he was going out to work. I've got my power tools out and I'm buzzing and cutting away. He is standing at the front door just staring at me.

Finally, he says: "Honey, why not wait and let me do that when I get home from work."

Ahhhhhh...what a Sweetie. To which I replied: "It's okay...I'm almost done."

Chuck: No, Sweetie. It's okay. Just leave it and I'll get it when I get home.

Me: Honeeeeeey, I'll be done in ten MEN-NUTS and then you won't have to bother.

Chuck: [still hesitating and trying to figure out how else to protest]

Me: Um...honey...what's the problem?

Chuck: Um...well...uh...

I could see the cartoon balloon forming over his head that said: SHE IS GOING TO BREAK THE GLASS IN THAT DOOR BECAUSE SHE IS USING POWER TOOLS.

Chuck: well...I just think it's something I can do when I get home.

Me: Are you afraid I'm going to break this door?

Chuck: Um...yeah...

Me: Who brought the power tools to this marriage?

Chuck: um...you...

Wrapped in my ivory silk bathrobe with my red-painted toenail and my wild red hair clipped up on my head, I finished installing the doggie door.

Last Christmas he got me a new chain saw. What a guy.xoxoxoxoxoxo. I just have to love him.

COLONEL: For splitting logs, I generally drop down to 4" heels...for hanging drywall, I find the 9" heels to be helpful. For roofing, I prefer tap shoes because if I drop my hammer, then I can just use my shoe.

But in reference to a post of mine elsewhere -- does anyone know where I can get some black lacey petti-pants to under my kilt? The ones I have now are girlie enough. I may be a cross-dresser, but underneath that manly garb, I'm all woman. :wink:

Colonel644
09-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Catherine Wilson:
COLONEL: For splitting logs, I generally drop down to 4" heels...for hanging drywall, I find the 9" heels to be helpful. For roofing, I prefer tap shoes because if I drop my hammer, then I can just use my shoe.

But in reference to a post of mine elsewhere -- does anyone know where I can get some black lacey petti-pants to under my kilt? The ones I have now are girlie enough. I may be a cross-dresser, but underneath that manly garb, I'm all woman. :wink: You switch down to the 4 inchers for log splitting too??

As far as a place to find lacey things to wear under a kilt. I'm not sure. I only wear a blue ribbon.

I'm sure Frediericks or Victoria's would be suitable enough though Catherine.
:hatoff:

Mirella
09-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Tom boy? Yes that is me, but then why should anything be a male/female thing???? Girls should be able to do what they want/enjoy doing, and same for the guys. But having said that, I do my own car/home repairs, (if I feel like it), have more paint spattered clothes than pretty ones that is for sure, but can be a girly girl when I feel like it too, and certainly have a large collection of handbags if that counts for anything. :woohoo: but I am sorry, when I have an unwanted creature indoors, I am definitely a girl!!!!

kaypiob
09-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Ever since I can remember I've refused to wear dresses. My mom tried to get me to wear one on my first day of kindergarten (George Bush Sr was there for a photo-op with the little children and to discuss education reform in ME with the school board), but even then I refused. The only skirt I'll ever wear willingly is the kilt. :D

Colonel644
09-25-2005, 04:05 PM

Wrapped in my ivory silk bathrobe with my red-painted toenail and my wild red hair clipped up on my head, I finished installing the doggie door.

Ok I'm interested now, what inch heel dost thou reccomend with that ensemble (tasteful I might add), what inch would go with such??? :lol:

Margaret
09-25-2005, 10:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Catherine Wilson:
<span style="font-weight: bold">

Ok I'm interested now, what inch heel dost thou reccomend with that ensemble (tasteful I might add), what inch would go with such??? :lol: </span></div></div>Sheesh, everyone knows that, :rolleyes: you wear your maribou feather open toed 4 inch heeled mules (to show off the painted toenails of course!).

Margaret

Colonel644
09-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Thank you Margaret, This is a learning process I geuss. :humm:

Tartaniac
09-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Yep, Colonel...Margaret nailed that one. (And if they are well-made maribou's, you can use them for smacking spiders...and tacking down loose nails in the woodwork. They are not very useful when splitting wood as one has a tendency to slip off the heel unless one has an incredibly good sense of balance.)

I live out in the redwoods in northern Cal. I had an agreement with outdoor insects, animals, amphibians et al. I love 'em when they're outside my rustic log cabin, but inside my castle, I am Queen and they possibly put themselves in harm's way. Smash go the bugs after they cross my thresh-hold. Or so it used to be.

Now we are more happy in our coexistence since they proliferate at a rate faster than I can smash.

Guns? I have never shot a living thing but am quite proficient on .22, 9 mm, and 45s. Oh, and rifles. I don't like the idea of shotguns -- to broad a shot for me -- doesn't give the target a chance.

My husband went for gun training at a place called Front Sight. http://www.frontsight.com/index.asp

The first thing I learned about guns is that you are successful at using one properly if you never have to discharge one anywhere other than on the target range. Otherwise, all I have learned is how to stay out of another's gunsight, gun safety, and how to aim.

I am deadly on beer cans. If Canned Beer ever tries to take over the world, we're safe. Just let me know where to show up. I am Calamity Cat the Can Killer.

(Colonel, I have been at the range in 4" heeled girl boots...I didn't know my husband had planned on stopping off at the range BEFORE taking me to the movies. They did not inhibit my abilities. I could still outshoot him. (Gee...is that why he is so respectful and such a wonderful and adoring husband???? Hmmm...I just had a thought there...)

It seems that men are better at shoveling bull figuratively than I am. But I am at least physically as good as they are at shoveling it physically. Men do have this uncanny ability to let it just roll off them without it bugging them. I am mighty admiring of that quality. I can't do that one very well. (Relax. I do not have a permit to carry anything concealed.)

Colonel644
09-26-2005, 02:11 AM

(Colonel, I have been at the range in 4" heeled girl boots...I didn't know my husband had planned on stopping off at the range BEFORE taking me to the movies. They did not inhibit my abilities. I could still outshoot him. I'm impressed!!!!!

I wonder if they serious "Hogan's Alley" Competitor's could do that and claim it for extra points in the end.

(follow with me into my mind for a sec as we look at this scene in the future)
I can see it now at the awarding Ceremony now,,,,:

( with dep anouncing voice )
3rd Place Hogan's Alley Competition, Sgt. Grady McGruff,98 ponits!

2nd place, Officer Paddy O'Furniture, 99 points!!

1st Place, Special Officer Catherine Wilson. Note placing for second and first was a tie,however when going to next section of point system Judges Gave extra point for Ms. Wilson who was wearing 4 inch heels at time of competing.

Jump up to next year comp time, all the guys in their BDU's and T- and 4 inch heels!!! ( going for that extra point! ) :lol:

Will pipe for Guinness
09-26-2005, 12:29 PM
well I guess I'm a girlie girl then. I don't drive a tractor or do home improvements or handle power tools or work on cars....
I wear skirts and dresses and would prefer to cook a meal than to paint a room..
But I don't garden either....I hate sports.

Margaret
09-26-2005, 01:44 PM
My dad tells a funny story about the time he took my little sister out to the gun club he's a member of, to shoot her new .22 rifle she'd gotten for her birthday. Dead shot she was, carefully centering all her shots, and the burly ment-types that were there were laughing at the waifish little thing and her little rifle, so one offers up a manly type gun (I don't remember what it was, but it was big) for her to shoot with. Jesting of course that she couldn't possibly lift it, much less shoot anything with it. She quietly proceeded to shoot the sh*t out of the target, pretty much not straying from the bullseye at all. The deafening silence from the burly ment-types made my dad the proudest papa imaginable. I believe she just handed the gun back to the burly ment-types without saying anything :cool: , (probably a thank you was in there somewhere). Just goes to show that even the little waifish girls have some steel in them too :) .

Margaret

(the not so expert shot as her sister)

Tartaniac
09-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Better yet, let's even the playing field and give the lads some high heels like mine.

Colonel644
09-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Yep, Colonel...Margaret nailed that one. (And if they are well-made maribou's, you can use them for smacking spiders...and tacking down loose nails in the woodwork. They are not very useful when splitting wood as one has a tendency to slip off the heel unless one has an incredibly good sense of balance.)

Ok lemme get this straight ( no pun intended )

it's 4 inch heels to bake cakes and split logs in, the open toe maribou feather mules for installing doggy doors and whackin critters.

OK I think I've got it now. Now that I've gotten the correct information on what to wear for these chores. I geuss I've been doing it all wrong.

NOw what occasion are the big clear platic spike heels for? or did I nail that one down pat.

Margaret
09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
NOw what occasion are the big clear platic spike heels for? or did I nail that one down pat. From what I've seen, you can wear those during the bathing suit competition at your local beauty pageant, or during your pole dance routine :lol: .

Margaret

Linz
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
during your pole dance routine Just remember, for the pole dance, DO NOT wear your satin gloves right after they wax the damn thing.
Don't ask how I know. :smokin:

Tartaniac
09-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Ladies, I think the poor Colonel is in head-over-heels, so to speak. He's not breathing right now. Can someone call 911? Oh! I forgot! I'm supposed to answer those calls! [slap, slap, slap on the Colonel's face]...

Well, he's got a pulse and he is breathing.

Now the clear, lucite heels...I find those best for wearing in the creek while fly-fishing. They don't scare the fish. But I do like Linz's idea of the pole dancing without gloves and no-we-will-not-ask. I think it's in the firefighters manual that we don't ask too much about the pole.

BACK ON TOPIC!
I am all girl and I am caught in the act of doing guy things all the time. The good part about doing "guy" things is that I run into some GUYS! WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!!

I am WOMAN. I love GUYS!!!!!

How cool can it get?

Pete Walen
09-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Margaret:
(the not so expert shot as her sister) Dear Margaret - As my darling bride explained to the daughters, the trick is locating where the round is to *go*. Focus on that rather than the sights of the firearm.

It seems her first husband, being a macho-he-man, thought it would be funny to take her shooting with the "boys". So she went like a good wife - fired a .22 - no sweat, dead target. Fired a .38 revolver - no sweat, 'nother dead target. Fired a 9 mm handgun - no sweat - yet 'nother dead target. ('bout this time the laughing all quit as she was outscoring the "boys" pretty fairly) Then .303 rifle - you guessed it. (whispered mutterings of disbelief starting) Then - the "real test" - somehow the club had wrangled a Browning Automatic (ww2 vintage BAR) - yup - outshot her seriously PO'ed (now ex-)husband and blew the target to lil' ol' target heaven. He never took her shooting again. Wonder why... (real poor loser)

Me? I don't own firearms - I stick to knives and swords. :wink:

Tommy P.
09-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Magaret, having taught many women to shoot, I can honestly say; some of the best shots I ever had the pleasure of working with, were women. :)

Linz
09-27-2005, 09:22 AM
first husband, being a macho-he-man, thought it would be funny to take her shooting with the boys Been there, done that! Used to live way back in the mountains, so no neighbors. Ex was bragging on the new 30-06 rifle he just got, (I'd actually inherited it when my Dad passed, but it was "His" rifle.) We were standing on the porch when somebody said something about "Hitting the side of the barn". So I took it, aimed, and shot the tail off the Weathervane, at about 150 meters. No more jokes about MY shooting! (I still have the rifle, but he's long gone!)

Margaret
09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
My sister does come by it honestly, there's a trophy at the NRA Long Range Championships held at Camp Perry each year (1000 yards) that is given in our great-grandfathers name, and the NRA displays the rifle that he used on occasion :) .

"The M1903 Springfield used by George "Dad" Farr to fire 71 consecutive bullseyes in the 1921 Wimbledon Cup competition was a display highlight that brought the legend of Dad Farr and the story behind the rifle to life. A visitor favorite, the Farr Rifle became a gathering place throughout the Matches for shooters, gun collectors and eager listeners to meet, exchange stories and enjoy the camaraderie of people who share a love for competitive shooting and its rich history."

His fellow competitors apparently called him "Dad" because he was quite substantially older than they were (he died in 1935), and at first they had dismissed him as some hick from Washington state as he'd never really competed at a lot of the national shooting matches at the time.

Margaret

Tartaniac
09-28-2005, 02:27 AM
H.W.W.: glen's off to your bride.

Linz: you too, woman. you go.

Tommy: you just want to touch the ladies...we know...we've all had men instructors at some point. JUST KIDDING! Thanks for doing it. Sounds like you are a good teacher to be respectful. I've read somewhere that women do better at long range.

Shooting is like drumming. It's the focus and the rhythm of it. Everything else fades away.

But I must admit my favorite shots are in glasses. Yes, Colonel. Bring out the Clynelish!

(NO, TOMMY, not while I'm shooting. I like my feet just the way they are.)

Tartaniac
09-28-2005, 02:32 AM
ANy ladies here into weight lifting (other than your side drums)? What other "guy" things are we doing.

The psycho-
logist in me wonders if we are doing "guy" things or if we just are not inhibited by what the neighbors might think. Hubby said one of the things he liked about me when started dating was that I was "androgenous." I was insulted until he explained that what he meant was that I did things that he liked doing which were often physical. (He played college football...I did not.)

Of those who do "guy" things, did you have brothers? Or dad who did stuff like this with you? Or did you do because SOMEONE had to learn to do it?

OR did the Mr. Science gene in you get charged?

What do you think?

Tommy P.
09-28-2005, 07:11 AM
All my wife's jeans have been charged!

Along with most everything else!

Margaret
09-28-2005, 09:03 AM
We did most of our stuff (growing up) because nobody pointed out to us that that was what boys only did........although I do remember back in the mists of time that the boys in the boys pipe band in our town were pretty derogatory toward dancers (mostly female at the time), basically telling us we had no place in the scottish community......hmmm......maybe just boys showing off to girls? The funny thing was, many of those boys grew up and had daughters! :cool:

Margaret

Love2Drum
09-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Catherine w:
Of those who do "guy" things, did you have brothers? Or dad who did stuff like this with you? Or did you do because SOMEONE had to learn to do it?

What do you think? Growing up I was very close to my Dad, I didn't have much of a relationship with my mom (reasons for that would be a nice Oprah episode). Either just because I'm wired that way or because of my closeness with my dad, I grew up a tomboy.

But it was my dad that got me into shooting and stuff. As a kid I hated anything girly. Plus I tend to have a thing about being told I can't do something and wanting to prove them wrong. :D

Linz
09-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Hmmmm? Interesting question. I have no idea why I do what I do. I just do it. When I enlisted, some (ex) family members were taking bets that I wouldn't last 2 weeks. That was 18 years ago.
I have 1 older brother who's a jerk, and my Dad was in his 40s when I was born, so he didn't do much with us when we were kids. He had guns, but we never went shooting.
I didn't mind girly stuff, and I liked boys, but I liked horses more! I grew up rural, so I had horses, dogs, all kinds of animals. I did 4/H and FFA, took horseshoeing classes, but only to take care of my animals.
I enlisted into the Army when my ex left, but as a survival mechanism, as much as anything. They could feed me, clothe me, house me, teach me a trade, and pay me while I was doing it. The only thing the Army didn't offer was sex, and I figured I could take care of that on my own!
I'm female, I love it, and I don't want to be a guy. I was always surrounded by guys, both as a civilian and military, so I'm more comfortable with men than I am with women, for the most part.
I guess I never thought of piping as a gender-related activity. I have a female friend who plays the double bass, and another friend who can play anything with strings. Making music is making music, no matter what instrument.
No, I don't lift weights, but I do work out. That's because I have to pass a Physical Training test every year, and it requires running, push-ups and sit-ups. So far, knock wood, I've always passed. But I've only got 3 more, then I can retire, and pipe ALL DAY if I want!

Tartaniac
09-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Love2Drum:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Catherine w:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Of those who do "guy" things, did you have brothers? Or dad who did stuff like this with you? Or did you do because SOMEONE had to learn to do it?

What do you think? Growing up I was very close to my Dad, I didn't have much of a relationship with my mom (reasons for that would be a nice Oprah episode). Either just because I'm wired that way or because of my closeness with my dad, I grew up a tomboy.

But it was my dad that got me into shooting and stuff. As a kid I hated anything girly. Plus I tend to have a thing about being told I can't do something and wanting to prove them wrong. :D </span></div></div>WOOOO! You hit my button!

Tartaniac
09-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Rat Bastard:
All my wife's jeans have been charged!

Along with most everything <span style="font-style: italic">else! </span>Are you smiling when you say that? Are you one happy man?

Or do you mean charged as in MasterCard and Visa?

Tartaniac
09-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Linz:
When I enlisted, some (ex) family members were taking bets that I wouldn't last 2 weeks.**ANYONE ELSE IN YOUR FAMILY MILITARY, POLICE, FIRE, PUBLIC SERVICE?**

I liked horses more! I grew up rural, so I had horses, dogs, all kinds of animals.[/QB]**YESSSSS!

The only thing the Army didn't offer was sex, and I figured I could take care of that on my own! [/QB]**You go girl.**

I'm female, I love it, and I don't want to be a guy. I was always surrounded by guys, both as a civilian and military, so I'm more comfortable with men than I am with women, for the most part.[/QB]**And I'm enjoying the women I'm meeting here and in pipe band.**

Tommy P.
09-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Catherine w:
Are you smiling when you say that? Are you one happy man?

Or do you mean charged as in MasterCard and Visa? :D Yes!......and Yes! :D

RosieJ
09-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Rat Bastard:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Catherine w:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Are you smiling when you say that? Are you one happy man?

Or do you mean charged as in MasterCard and Visa? :D Yes!......and Yes! :D </span></div></div>Yeah, but whats her credit limit..............

:lol:

Tommy P.
09-28-2005, 09:30 PM
"What's her credit limit?"

The sky with me,... :D

with Visa,...a little bit lower, I'm afraid!

Tartaniac
09-29-2005, 02:29 AM
LMHO (my head off)

Hey...what's the topic again? Can someone give me a hint here...um ...sky the limit...must be about flying!

Okay -- who flies? I used to fly hot air balloons for Golden West Balloon based in Tracy, CA.

I tried light planes for a while (same ground school) and it was so noisy. I don't know how people do it without going deaf.

Oh, maybe they live with pipers.

Up in the air Junior Birdwomen!

Who is flying those friendly skies other than R.B. and his missus and I don't think they're in a plane or balloon?

Linz
09-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Okay -- who flies? I used to! When I was still a helicopter mechanic, I logged a lot of passenger hours. I have 6-7 hours stick time, too. Hubby got close to 300, but it's all bootleg, can't be counted as flight time. Biggest thrill was 3 hours front seat(Gunner)in a Cobra! :lol:

Tartaniac
09-29-2005, 03:46 PM
WHOA Linz. I knew you were hot...but wowzer! :hatoff:

OKAY -- WHO ELSE IS FLYING? I know there are more.

Dear guys: sorry...we aren't encroaching on your territory...we're just being gals who think you have bogarted the cool toys long enough. Girls just gotta have fun, too. :wink: