PDA

View Full Version : A neat parade for a worthy cause

ladypiper47
09-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Today, our band joined about 16 other bands in a parade called "Pipes and Drums for Prostate Cancer Awareness". We formed up at the city hall and marched up the street to the Provincial Legislature. At the city hall, there were more bands and pipers/drummers than I have seen anywhere outside a Games. The tourists and the citizens seemed somewhat bewildered by the sight of so many bands in the city hall square. We were marched up the street in four sections. Police bands, military bands and 2 sections of civilian bands. When we reached the Legislature buildings, we massed together for the playing of Amazing Grace. By my count there were 18 files and 8 ranks of pipers. I could not see the drum section.
A local TV personality was MC and,because of his own well publicized experience with prostate cancer, gave a very impassioned plea for testing.

Pretty amazing parade, considering no one was paid to be there. I really hope that it did raise awareness of prostate cancer testing and treatment.

Met more than a few forumites and old friends in the form up area before the parade.

annecooke
09-18-2005, 06:19 PM
HI Janet,

I posted in the band room. I was at work, Women's College, and walked out at 2 PM to see the whole parade march into Queens Park. Saw lots of familiar faces.

I was the nurse with the stethescope around my neck chatting with motorocycle cops at the east barricade. They were telling me that alot of the research stats are being collected through police groups, cancer rates related to work stress, shift work etc, interesting stuff.

You all looked great. :thumb: Well done.

Anne

ladypiper47
09-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Hey, I saw you. :D