PDA

View Full Version : What else do you do?

Linz
10-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Just thought I'd ask, cause I'm curious. What else do you all do as a hobby, besides pipe or drum? I don't mean work, just fun stuff that you do. For example, I spin yarn, knit and weave, when I'm not working or practicing. I'm including creative stuff, like art, woodworking, etc., and athletic stuff, soccer, running, and so on.

The reason I ask is because I've had people tell me that I have to decide what my priority is, because they think I can't spend the time on one activity (Fiber) without taking away from the other (Piping). Such as, I need to spend all my time practicing, and quit the fiber stuff! I don't agree, I think I can do both, with a little more time managment, like quitting housework. :shrug:

By the way, I'll be retiring in 4 years, maybe then it won't be such a concern. :woohoo:

Bob Budesa
10-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Hmmm - where in Northern Nevada? I used to catch wild horses out east of Cedarville/Eagleville.

I still love to fly fish, racing bikes is done, but I used to work that in too. Climbing peaks and hiking gets some time too.

I too will retire, but only a year and change from now, so I suppose I'll face the dilemma of where I use my spare time - new job with fewer hours, fishing, piping, biking, household chores, vacationing, reading, hey - it won't be easy!

I agree - it's all a matter of time management. You've heard the saying "if you want something done, ask a busy man". Well, those that are busy tend to manage time better than those that find themselves with lots of time to kill.

I'll never get any of it back, so I tend to spend what I have the best I can.

At the end of the game, I don't want to look back and say "gosh, I wish I'd had time to ......" No way, not for me.

Carpe diem!

Linz
10-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Hmmm - where in Northern Nevada? Carson City-Dayton right now, but looking at a place south of Gardnerville.

Marathon Piper
10-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I think only YOU can decide what to spend your time on, and where your priorities must lie. I run marathons, pipe, have 3 kids, (I know they're not really a hobby, but darned time consuming). If I gave up work, kids, piping I could probably shave some time off my marathon PB, but is it worth it?? Nahhhh, I'll never be that good. If I gave up running, and focused on piping, I'd definitely be a better piper, but I'd likely be fat and gasping with no stamina. And I'll never be that good. SO...I run in moderation -- enough that I enjoy it, run one marathon a year, improve my time a little, keep in shape, stay sane. And the same with piping. I play in moderation, practice as much as I can, and it keeps me sane. It's a nice balance for the running.

I don't have quite enough time for as much gardening, skiing, golf and reading. But someday. And I haven't given any of them up.

I'm a great believer in balance. Keep as many things on your plate as you can fit in and enjoy. And don't let anyone else's priorities tell you otherwise!!!

MP

Phil Lenihan
10-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Do what ever you want. My other interest is inline skating. I took it up when I ran one too many ultramarathons. I now run The Old Dude On Blades Inline Skate School. Lots of fun and lots of smiling faces. Last year I was skating in part of a TV commercial for Wachovia Bank The grand kids loved it. Enjoy life while you can.

Cheers! PHIL

Tartaniac
10-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Phil, you're always flying here and there and beating aging into the ground like roadkill. You go, dude!

Phil neglected to mention that he redesigned his home, painted a wall just the other day for the heck of it, runs a website for our band, has a consulting busines...blah, blah, blah...get him started and you will discover a man of many talents and interests. Makes me feel like a banana slug and he's at least twice my age. (Ha! Gotcha!)

Tartaniac
10-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Back in the old days, when I was working, I used to tell people that if they want to know what's important, just look at their Day-Timer from last few weeks.

My time was spent here, on the computer, writing, taking care of my two geriatric dogs (one who is blind[13] and one who has no eyeballs [18]), doing house things to make my husband smile, writing, painting (on canvas), driving to LA to check in on geriatric parents (not really -- the just drove cross country for the heck of it -- I check on them to see if they still live in their house or have moved!).

I am walking with my drum to build up stamina and doing brain exercises and tasks to awaken my sleepy brain (had brain injury two years ago).

If I'm feeling particularly bright, I try to read something eve if it's the comics. (I used to devour books and now I struggle with reading -- words can be so tricky.)

And of course, I paint my toenails and right now they are Munro Red. I HAVE to have red toenails. It's one of my priorities in life. Probably higher than driving to LA to check on my folks. (Nah...just being silly again.)

TheChosenOne3141
11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
The things that i spend most of my time doing is piping, martial arts, school work (i'm in high school) and video games. right now i don't spend as much time as i should on school work, and have cut way back on video games and somewhat on martial arts, and completely given up on my social life to ensure several hours of pipe practice every day

EquusRacer
11-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Horses, Writing, Carpentry/Carving, Viticulture/Wines, Viola, Piano, Hiking/Camping/Fishing, Art, Horticulture, Non-profit Volunteering...not necessarily in that order.

Tommy P.
11-07-2005, 10:24 AM
I don't know what a hobby is.....making stupid posts here?

Being lazy perhaps? Procrastinating! That's it!
I spend most of my time trying to find something meaningless to do, just so I won't have enough time to do the crap that needs to be done around here!

And being home 20 days a month, that's a real chore sometime!
:D

Big Dog
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah, really -- for you "holy smoking keyboard" types, this is another hobby, eh? :eek: Certainly not wasted time, though! Lot of interesting stuff and interesting people.

How much time you have to devote to your hobbies mostly depends, of course, on the demands of work and family life. Wife and I just became empty nesters only a few months ago. When my sons were younger, my hobby was watching them play sports and also coaching their teams and refereeing (soccer) games. I loved that, and I miss it, and maybe I'll get to do it again after I retire, but right now there's only room for band, work (which fortunately has slowed down lately, 'cause so have I! :lol: ) and my wife! (And watching games on TV, but I gotta pick and choose -- can't see everything -- refer to "wife," above.) :wink:

Tartaniac
11-07-2005, 06:51 PM
:eek: <b>BIG DOG!

:lol:

Big Dog
11-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Yeah, okay, I'm busted. That was NOT a LIE, though. Just an omission. Did you think I really wanted to talk about the Raiders this week, after that debacle last Sunday? I was THIS CLOSE to taking all my Raiders gear out into the street and setting it on fire. :mad:

Nobody in here wants to hear about THAT!!!!

Mom2Grace
11-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Besides drumming, I used to clog (dance). Was only low-intermediate and to move up, practice was the same night as band. So I had to make a choice. Wasn't too hard for me.
I also scrapbook and spend a lot of time with my daughter. I love reading, but my fave authors cant keep up to me...so I go months without a good book.

SerialKilter.
11-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Drink

Tartaniac
11-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Let the dogs in...
Let the dogs out...
Let the dogs in...
Let the dogs out...
Let the dogs in....
Let the dogs out...
Let the dogs in...
Let the dogs out...

No, that's me over there...
11-15-2005, 07:51 AM
A few folks have seen evidence of my fishing hobby... I also read (about fishing) and cook (fish).