PDA

View Full Version : embarassing female drummer question

Jo-Ann
10-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Ladies

Oh boy. Here we go ... do any of you lady drummers find yourself with the *how shall I put this nicely?* old-lady-underarm-swing? :shrug:

Perhaps this could have waited until Winter Steam and we've had a few in us ... :thumb:

Thanks

Jo-Ann

Celtic Mitch
10-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Jo-Ann...you're going to Winter STorm??? Cool, so are me and a couple of my girls.

We can talk about it at Winter Steam for sure...I've seen some guys that have it too... :thumb:

Jeanne
10-08-2005, 01:42 PM
I remember - a very long time ago - seeing a fitness chart in a conference center's exercise room that showed just what to do about those particular darn muscles. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was. :shrug:

If you can afford just one visit to a fitness center (and some offer free or low cost trial memberships) the trainers there should be able to give you some suggestions for toning up.

Man, I wish I had a copy of that chart! :wink:

Jo-Ann
10-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Mitch! I thought you'd be there! Are you competing again? You're gonna kick butt! :lol: We've got a few drummers and pipers from our band coming again. :wave: We were supposed to meet up with the tenors, and well ... I no longer know how to get in touch. :confused:

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann
10-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Hmmm, I think I just hijacked my own question ... :lol:

Ken MacKenzie
10-08-2005, 05:14 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jo-Ann:
<strong> Hmmm, I think I just hijacked my own question ... :wink:

Ken

Celtic Mitch
10-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Ha ha ha Ken, I was thinking the same thing. However Jo-Ann I might have an answer for you. If you have hand weights at home, you can do lawn mower pulls. Or...you can put the weights in your hands and then put your hands behind your head and move the weight up and down behind your head. Or...you can get a chair, face away from the chair, put your hands on the chair and raise yourself up and down. They all work the tricepts.

Tenor exercises...hold your hands straight up over your head and do forward inside outsides and then reverse for as along as you can stand it.

Looking forward to see you there In KC Jo-Ann. Don't know about me kicking butt, but I'm hoping to do ok. I'm competing in the amateur and my other two girls in the intermediate. They are both extremely competent and should do well, I hope.

See you soon...oh and bring lots of beer money. It's my birthday on the 12th. We'll be at the bar in the hotel on Thursday night I'm sure of it! :thumb:

Randy McIntosh
10-09-2005, 06:43 AM
You would want to do some "Tricep" exercises. Try your local exercise center, or do a google search for suggestions. It doesn't take much for the muscle to show results.

Jo-Ann
10-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Good points all :) Thanks so much!!

Mitch! HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY! I'll make sure I'm appropriately equipped for it :wink: :thumb:
My birthday is this coming Friday (Oct 14) and yep, I'm headed out :woohoo:

See you (all) in January!!

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann
10-09-2005, 09:09 AM
OH! And yes, Ken! I *LOVE* the long-sleeves and am very happy our band uniform is long-sleeved. Of course I need to be reminded of this when competing in 90 degree weather! :rolleyes:

Jo-Ann

Tartaniac
10-12-2005, 04:30 AM
My drum instructor suggested tiko drumming. He said it will also give me strength and stamina. I think he's sadistic but probably right.

No, that's me over there...
10-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Tartaniac... Have you seen the "gotchies" the guys in taiko wear?
Might answer the question you posed earlier about "kilt undies"... whaddayathink?

Tartaniac
10-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Whoa, yeah. Those are something. It would be a bit worse than having a kilt come loose. They look kind of painful. San Jose has a big taiko drum corps. The Kodo drummers from a small island off Japan have had concerts at Stanford and they play -- no exaggeration -- a drum the size of a VW bus! The screws were vibrating out of the heater vents! It was the most consuming sound I've ever heard and it was very soul soothing, not noise. Their drumming is part of their relgious life. They run 20 miles a day -- everyone -- and they drum and meditate. That is their life.

We never did figure out what to wear under our kilts -- I like the idea of Secret Society of Babes of the Shire....but we have to pick something saucey. We need more research before restarting that topic.

But back to what my mother and grandmother called "Wings" or "Widow's Wings"...it's part of aging. Men get it too. We saw the Eagles in concert the other night and Timothy Schmit, the nearly-invisible bass player with the high voice raised his hands over his head to get the crowd to clap (as if we weren't). He had cut the sleeves off his shirt, and I'll be hang-dogged -- his upper arm wings were just a flappiing. Being the poser that he is, I bet he'd die if he knew. (BTW, the concert was AWESOME!)

Flap those wings, girls! Reminds me of the movie, 'Chicken Run'. If you haven't seen it -- it's a riot. Made by the same people who do Wallace and Grommit.

10-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Tartaniac... The island is Sado. Funny, since with all the running and working out and strict dieting Kodo drummers seem masochistic...
I sat in the 3rd row at a Kodo concert, and would have preferred not to have had so much sweat showered on me, but beside that little discouraging word, the concert was stupendous.
Secret Society of Babes of the Shire...?? Jeez, I try to stop lurking about the Ladies' Room and you all go haywire...
Since you mentioned it though, what would you girls think of a cute little loincloth... just like Gollum's?
I think it would be PRECIOUS!!

Tartaniac
10-14-2005, 12:03 AM
That's right...Sado...as in sado-masochistic. Yowzer...they are something! Over as SSBS, we've been debating about what to wear under our kilts (we lassies)...whole different story.

Here we be talking about WINGS! And how to lose 'em.

Got any hot tips on that? If not, be careful as we age. We might flap you in the jaw with our upstroke. I mean...our WINGs might flap your jaw...I mean...I better stop digging this hole any deeper.

10-14-2005, 07:10 AM
I really prefer chicken wings!
As you age? You are all like fine wine in my HO...
But I think the person who suggested "curls" is on the right track.
Even using a phone book, held in front with your palms facing up, elbows on your knees,, and then slowly lift the phonebook bending at the elbows.

Colonel644
10-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Tartaniac:
Flap those wings, girls! Reminds me of the movie, 'Chicken Run'. If you haven't seen it -- it's a riot. Made by the same people who do Wallace and Grommit. That is one of my all time favorite movies!!! Before my nephew moved to D.C. and I babysat him on the weekends,,, Chicken Run was the second favorite movie ( First being Brother Bear).

Our favorite two characters in it were the two rats, I swear I cracked up at those two characters more than anything in the movie. Michael liked it cause it was chickens and of course Uncle Scott always had "Bop corn".

Tartaniac
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
The Wallace and Grommit Warehouse/Studio burned to the ground a day or two ago.

RIP :(

On those curls, skip the phone book. That's where you're going wrong. You have to first start with a half-pint, then work your way up to a pint. About ten reps each side with dainty sips should help out.

Linz
10-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Best advice for those damn wings I ever heard is to get 2 one pound potato sacks, stand with your arms down at your side, and slowly lift the sacks up to shoulder level. Do that for 8-10 reps every day for a week or so until you can do it easily. Then change to 5 lb sacks, and work your way up to 25 lb sacks. This will take a couple of months. When you get comfortable with the sacks, put potatoes in them. :thumb:

Tartaniac
10-14-2005, 03:23 PM
paper or plastic?
[laughing my fool head right off]