PDA

View Full Version : What got you started on piping?

windsaloft
11-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Or drumming -- just the whole Pipe Band thing?

I think that is the most common question I get -- I mean, I am German, the only Scotch or Irish roots are generations back with poor immigrants to the New World to escape debtor's prison (we come from fine stock!), but......

My senior year of high school, my parents moved to Yorktown, Virginia, and feeling like a fish out of water, I sought activities to help get to know other kids. I was a band kid, and most of my friends all played in this cool Fife and Drum Corp, so I joined ---in HS and college I played in the Yorktown Fife and Drum Corps, which was a blast. We got to go to re-enactments, play in parades, and we even got to play for Pres. Reagan as well as in the Rose Bowl, Indy 500, and Cherry Blossom parades.

As Fifes are loud, piercing instruments, we were always co-located with the pipe bands, both for warmup and performance. Most of my Corp members made fun of "Squeezing the plaid cats", but the pipes always brought chills to my spine, and I wanted to learn even then.

It was not until I was about 40 and the lady who is my instructor showed up, randomly, in Wyoming as a state geologist, and played in the 4th of July parade. Her playing was poppingly sharp and good, even to my novice ear, so I nabbed her at the end of the route and forced her to give me lessons. Everyone thinks I have lost my mind, but I am having a blast, and she is truly a gift to our community.

What's your story?

Terri
Lander, WY

windsaloft
11-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I just realized this exact thread is running over in the beer tent, so I will close this out and just post there.

Terri

Tartaniac
11-17-2005, 02:05 PM
WINDY: no biggie...just point of reference...unless we come from a long line of alcoholics, we don't have "Scotch" roots. We have Scottish roots or we are Scots but we drink Scotch.

Commonly confused. LIke I said, no biggie. It just makes me laugh when I hear it or read it. A bunch of alcoholics filled with whisky! :wink:

windsaloft
11-17-2005, 03:56 PM
GIggling here. Okay, well, I guess I have both scotch and sottish (oops, scottish) roots!!! My family is either total teetotlars or raging drunks (I stick to the teetotlar side of the track so that I can stay employed!).....

Many thanks for the clarification .......

aeryn.phoenix
11-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I was talking to my mum about playing the pipes she wishes I would find a "really" instrument to play, but I digres, she said that when we at the Nebraska state fair when I was little enough to be on a "leash" I was watching some pipers and when she tried to pull me away I through the mother of all hissy fits, until she let me watch 1 more song. I dont' remember it but I tended to make no question about my feelings on any subject

Abdpiper
11-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Tartaniac:
WINDY: no biggie...just point of reference...unless we come from a long line of alcoholics, we don't have "Scotch" roots. We have Scottish roots or we are Scots but we drink Scotch.
Scots drink whisky , only people outwith the country drink Scotch except the Irish who drink whiskey :) :) :) :) :) :)

windsaloft
11-19-2005, 01:47 PM
:lol: --- I have so much to learn.

I thought Scottish FF's drank anything (including scotch) that someone would buy them a round of...........)

(Fishing for TOm and Rob here.....)

Terri

Frank W
11-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by windsaloft:
:lol: --- I have so much to learn.

I thought Scottish FF's drank anything (including scotch) that someone would buy them a round of...........)

(Fishing for TOm and Rob here.....)

Terri Don't you mean F/F's, not just Scottish F/F's, will drink anything? At the same time time we have been known to be a loyal generous bunch and I have bought my share of rounds.
:thumb:

Fir Na Tine

Tartaniac
11-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Frank...I'll buy any FF a round in my generosity now since a week ago my local FF's emptied four tankers of water on the house up the road, then pumped out of the stream by my house -- the neighbor only lost his workshop and garage, and evrything on the side of the house that could melt, did. The dog was saved (by a unit who has been known to resucitate a dog to keep the save kids from crying). The house had minor smoke damage. My bridge didn't burn. Not even an ash landed on my nearby skylights.

I'll buy.

I may have to send Terri some bucks so she can buy my FFs a round at Winter Storm.