PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Parades

Tartaniac
12-05-2005, 01:54 AM
Whomever was in charge of the weather this past weekend....I could just kiss you!

Okay..this is how you get good weather. Make EVERYONE in the band get matching blue Inverness'. Don't wash your cars for a week knowing that the rain is just going to mess them up. Buy up all the sick on warmers, pocket warmers, everything warmers you can. Spend time sewing nice warmers for under kilt. Buy new fleece wool insoles for your ghillies.

Then the sun will shine. There will be no rain. People were begging for sunglasses. I'm embarrassed to say that it was a spectacular, cloudless, big blue sky, crisp with light frosty breath in the morning kind of California day -- two days in a row. The rain blew inland to the farming areas -- they needed it.

We had little wind and loads of sun -- at one point today, a little blinding. I am beat like roadkill but it was GREAT. Even though I was on the middle line and tripped over Bott's Dots (the center line road reflectors) both days. (Come on guys -- give me a break...both days?)

Just kidding. I have nothing to whine about. I was outplayed by the guy on the left and the guy on the right and the rest of the guys make me, the only girl, sound mighty good. I still can't walk and chew gum and they let me play in their fort. I am so very blessed.

And I think my nose even got a little pink.

:wave:

Alaytheia
12-05-2005, 04:59 AM
Sounds like a blast! I'm nowhere near the point yet where I can march in a parade. My teacher hasn't even introduced me to the local band yet. But one of these days.....!

Tartaniac
12-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Dont worry Alay! Your time will come. The first time I marched, it was a huge parade and I was so scattered, like some ADHD kid who couldn't keep one brain cell on what she was supposed to be doing. I focused on the sporran buckle in front of me and just marched. All the pictures show me with my head down concentrating as if our lives dependend on it. I played like crap, but more importantly, I learned when in doubt, don't strike it. Better to skip a roll or a tap or a buzz than to be the only one doing it. When in doubt, don't. As my confidence has grown (due to the support of my bandmates and teachers), I play much better and am not so afraid. Band has done so much for my self-confidence. I'm doing something I never thought I'd be able to do again.

Richard Strayer
12-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Yah, it sure was a shiny day. We marched a holiday parade yesterday and the sun was square in our face nearly the entire route; I thought I was going blind!

I was almost a little disappointed though, as I had wrapped my pipes in a set of battery-powered Xmas lights, but it was so bright that you really couldn't see them.

Tartaniac
12-05-2005, 11:23 AM
I thought of doing the lights thing, but they work best at night gigs. I got those plastic glittery icicles and had them hanging around the side of my drum. They swayed when we walked and made quite the sparkle, so I am told. The tenors all used silver garland and the pipe cords were wrapped with silver garland as well. None of the other sides did anyting -- they are such guyz. But both bass looked fantastic.

Saturday was just one of those days where we sounded good. You know the be-back days -- like a be-back in golf, that perfect shot, the one that says, "I'LL BE BACK!" TheWe sounded good in front of the home town. we had eight sides, six tenors, two bass, and the rest (total of 42) were pipers.

Second day, we were in downtown SJ which has lots of tall buildings and the sound reverbing off the big buildings made Sponge Bob Square Pants sound good. But not as good as us.

Note to all P/M's, D/S's: Scotland the brave by FAR drew more cheers than anything else. The other bands were playing Christmas tunes that everyone knew. Jingle Bells was the most played tune of the day, but when a different pipe band broke out STB, the crowd went NUTS! It's going into our Christmas rep next year.

If you don't have it in your Christmas rep this year, I suggest you end with it or start with it to get the attention. People see men in skirts and think that tune. It works.

Les Matheson
12-05-2005, 11:51 AM
That's what we are playing in tonights parade (if it stops raining)

That and Jingle Bells/We Wish You a Merry Christmas/Deck the Halls...

scarhandpiper
12-05-2005, 01:41 PM
STB that we played at a Christmas Tree Festival went over very well, too!!!