PDA

View Full Version : Hose or not

Lady Piob Mhor
02-14-2006, 08:56 AM
I am copying this outfit for my solo pipe kit:

http://www.kinlochanderson-kilts.com/kinlocha_images/items/ladiesoutfit.jpg

Should I do the stockings and pumps or hose and brogues?

Celtic Mitch
02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Shorten the kilt and hose and ghillies for sure.

legwyn
02-14-2006, 09:32 AM
The photo is of a kilted skirt (lighter weight and shallower pleats than a kilt, apron is narrower, length below the knee).

For piping solo kit I would agree with Mitch - kilt, hose and ghillies. I do like the blouse and jacket.

Kilted skirts are great, but not for a piper "on duty".

Just my opinion,
Lee (dancer)

Colonel644
02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Lady Piobh Mhor,

the picture is actually very tasteful and elegant for a female piper doing solo.

I'd go with NO hose and pumps if your wearing the "skirt", go with Hose and ghillies if you're wearing a kilt or with the band.

Tommy P.
02-14-2006, 09:37 AM
For what it's worth; I LIKE it! :)

A very attractive option for ladies who don't like wearing what they consider "men's clothing".

Frank W
02-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Shorten the kilt by 15" and get spiked heels and nobody will care how you play. :thumb:

Klondike Waldo
02-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Why not indeed. There used to be a ladies pipe band in Massachusetts that wore a similar uniform- more fitting for the lasses to look like lasses that to have them playing soldier boy, IMHO.

RobinHood
02-14-2006, 10:24 AM
I agree. It looks feminine and I suspect that was the point. It would be nice to see some alternative to the unisex image so often presented.

RobinHood
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
To answer your question, though, no hose. No gillies either. Maybe a pair of flat soled shoes if you have to walk any considerable distance. But as I said, I like it how it's shown.

annefrommass
02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Klondike Waldo:
Why not indeed. There used to be a ladies pipe band in Massachusetts that wore a similar uniform- more fitting for the lasses to look like lasses that to have them playing soldier boy, IMHO. Bob, that was St. Andrew's Ladies. We wore kilted skirts, boiled wool jackets ( I think that is what they were) and black flats. Very nice, thinking back... we looked pretty sharp

AllisonB aka Sweet Reed
02-15-2006, 06:45 AM
Love the outfit! :eek: There are tons of cute and comfortable options though.

How about posting a picture of you in your solo kit when you have time?

Klondike Waldo
02-15-2006, 07:10 AM
No, Anne, I belive they were called Cairngorm Ladies Pipe Band or something close to that- I remember seeing them in the Sudbury, MA July 4 parade for a few years. (I marched that parade for years- first with a pipe band and later with a "Dixie " band, playing tuba. Ask me about the elephant some time.

Canalpiper
02-15-2006, 07:12 AM
What is more common? For male pipers to complain about having to wear women's clothing. ( as in "skirts" and extremely silly shoes and socks) or for female pipers to complain about wearing clothing designed as male.
back to subject
could you get away with the skirt as is, if you added gillies and hose?
Mike Z

ChickaDee
02-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Canalpiper:
could you get away with the skirt as is, if you added gillies and hose?
I'd have to complain about that! :p

Seriously, IMHO, if you go with the kilted skirt, stockings and pumps work better. If you choose to wear a traditional kilt, go with hose and ghilles!

I would recommend you NOT wear black stiletto boots nor does the Colonel like sharing his leopard print slippers. However, you might talk him into loaning you his red ruby ones. :wink:

Lady Piob Mhor
02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
It seems I have a complication. I will be wearing a kilt not a kilty skirt. This seems to tip the scale toward hose and gillies. Would I be out of line if I wore the stockings anyway?

Jan
02-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Your question has been answered. If wearing a kilted skirt, wear hose and ladies' shoes. If wearing a kilt, wear socks and ghillies.
I have worn both outfits while piping and they both work equally well. The jabot blouse and the jacket look good with either.

scarhandpiper
02-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I love it how people are arguing that pleated skirts made out of plaid wool are more suited to ladies than a kilt (pleated skirt made of plaid wool). :rolleyes:

I like the ensemble, but *I* would never wear those shoes. I don't need to be 6'6"!! Plus they would be terrible in parade. I guess you could wear the nylons under your socks if you think it will work. Your kilt will probably just stick to your legs in an embarrassing manner . . .

the fishiologist
02-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Lady Piobh Mhor:
It seems I have a complication. I will be wearing a kilt not a kilty skirt. This seems to tip the scale toward hose and gillies. Would I be out of line if I wore the stockings anyway? Nope. I saw a very taseful outfit worn by a girl piping outside Eileann Donan castle in Scotland. Kilt (no sporran), black opaque stockings, and girls "brogues" - not ghillies, but like loafers with a small, tasteful buckle. bit of heel. 3/4 length dress shirt. looked great. it was the first "girlie" piping outfit I've ever liked.

Margaret
02-15-2006, 09:42 PM
When I was little, my mom had our kiltmaker make her a floor length full kilt (just like my dancing kilt), it was stunning to say the least...although she doesn't wear it anymore (she grew a little teense) it stays packed away for hopefully my daughter to wear to some cool funcion.

Margaret

Colonel644
02-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ChickaDee:

I would recommend you NOT wear black stiletto boots nor does the Colonel like sharing his leopard print slippers. However, you might talk him into loaning you his red ruby ones. :wink: [/QB]BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'd give the leopard slippers before the ruby ones!!! Do you know how hard it was to find red ruby slippers in my size?? :lol: :lol:

Love2Drum
02-15-2006, 10:19 PM
It seems I have a complication. I will be wearing a kilt not a kilty skirt. This seems to tip the scale toward hose and gillies. Would I be out of line if I wore the stockings anyway? I've seen tons of women wear a kilt with stockings and pumps and I think it looks just fine.

Me personally, I'd rather eat glass than wear stockings and pumps with my kilt :D . If given a choice, I'll almost always pick the kilt over the kilted skirt.

Lady Piob Mhor
02-16-2006, 08:10 AM
It's just that the stocking clips on my black lace corset flop around so when there is no silk stocking with the French seams to clip them to. And I so want to try the Ruby Slippers.

Click, Click, Click.

There's no place like Oban, there's no place like Oban.

Actually, my knees are so white from the long Minnesota winters I am afraid to reveal them to the general public.

Oh, and, too bad our Minnesota Curlers couldn't even beat the Italians. An embarrassment to us all.

Colonel644
02-16-2006, 02:19 PM
It's just that the stocking clips on my black lace corset flop around so when there is no silk stocking with the French seams to clip them to. And I so want to try the Ruby Slippers.

I just got a mental picture of this and it was Dorothy Gayle meets the Rocky Horror Picture Show :eek:

Airborne92
02-16-2006, 09:39 PM
It's just that the stocking clips on my black lace corset flop around so when there is no silk stocking with the French seams to clip them to. And I so want to try the Ruby Slippers. _________________________________________________

"Hmmm", he said, reaching for the "Secrets in Lace" catalogue, "what page was that on?"

SCK

Gord™ ©1980
02-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Is this outfit going to be used for solo competitions, or for solo gigs?

I agree it is very tasteful and elegant; however, if you plan on using if for solos, I would check with the Associations rules that you are competing in to make sure whatever you choose to wear meets the minimum requirements.

:hatoff:
cheers,
Gord

lspiper1
02-22-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm with Mitch. Ditch the kilt skirt, get a pair of hose and a pair of ghillies and something to put on your head (which is required by most piper societies). Check to see what is required by your society. I know it is how well you play but remember, you are still in a man's world when it comes to playing the pipes.

dorothy
03-02-2006, 08:55 AM
The outfit is lovely. The lace jabot might be overkill for competitions. I wear a similar outfit, minus the heels and lace, and have never been disqualified for dress. I do believe a hat is required in Canada.

My shoes are "Dream Shoes," very comfortable. I got the ones that lace around the ankle with the coins over the instep.

Alistair
03-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Can I just say I think the original picture is extremely smart and quite formal.

However, I thought that the ladies may be interested in the following section that I have just copied from the 1947 edition of 'Scottish Clans & Their Tartans.

(start)
Ladies,

For day wear, a kilt skirt, which to be graceful must for anatomical reasons be cut on somewhat different lines from a man’s is worn with a tweed or other jacket, and diced or other long stockings covering the knees are worn with brogues. The sporran is not worn by ladies and the travesties of male attire worn by dancers at Highland Gatherings are an affront to the nation. Queens, Countesses & Chieftainesses (the respective “sacred embodiments of their races”) though bearing insignia and robes, do not masquerade in male garments; no more should other women. For evening wear, a skirt of tartan silk or other light material is worn with any suitable corsage, usually decorated with Celtic embroidery and the graceful arisaid of silk hangs down the back, and is gathered on the breast by a Celtic or heraldic brooch. (end)

It then goes into a general section about pistols, powder horns and swords but ends with another interesting paragraph!

Attempts by self conscious Lowlanders to covert the picturesque dress of the Gael into a "quiet style" and to deprive the garb of its ornaments or reduce it to the drab monotony of Anglo Saxon evening clothes are un-Scottish and contemtible.

Well! What do you all make of that?

Can I please add that these are not my views but it made me smile when I read it. I am still trying to picture the image portrayed by the initial paragraph. " long stockings covering the knees with brogues" - Where did the skirt stop?

Lady Piob Mhor
03-04-2006, 09:58 AM
But ladies didn't pipe at this time and this is the problem we lady pipers are having, how to reconcile a pipers uniform with traditional women’s dress. I'd like to respect the tradition because that's kind of what this is all about, but we have two diverging traditions the piper's and the lady's.

They say fashion is in the accessories and I guess the "ornaments" is the arguments.

Alistair
03-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Lady Piob Mor,

I have had a look at all the other sections in the book and it is only this section where something appears to have struck a sore point with the author. I guess he was a real 'traditionalist' and was opposed to women dancing! I don't know what he would have made of a lady piper!!

In his final para he also seems to be having a go at us Lowlanders, although I can't make out exactly what he is refering to.

Best regards, Alistair (A lowland Scot!)

littletenor
03-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Nice heels!We should get to wear flip flops also!
I've heard some say that the uniform is a woman's and some men's.

Tartaniac
03-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Don't laugh about the flip-flops too loudly. We can here you out here in California. There is one band -- not a competition band -- that wears Hawaiian shirts with their kilts and flip-flops. Needless to say, they are more a fun band than even a hobby band. They are some pro's from Dover who like to hide out and a local pub and be anonymous. Wearing a Hawaiian shirt with kilt does not make one anonymous. Trust me on that.

littletenor
03-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Oh I trust you!

Tartaniac
03-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Don't you have cowboy hats with your kilts in Colorado? They do in Wyoming and it's a pretty shart get-up. That and the cowboy boots.

Kind of gives it some of the local flavor.

MichelleB
03-20-2006, 03:54 PM
http://euspba.org/pdf/pub-soyouwanttocompete.pdf

See page 5, item #1 for EUSPBA. I can not find anything in the actual EUSPBA rules. Other organizations may have other rules. While I doubt anyone would disqualify you, the vast majority of female pipers out there dress like the fellas for competition. :(

BTW, based on what you have posted, I would wear the hose and brogues because you've got a proper kilt. You can also go with a feminine shirt along with the jacket you have in that picture or a boiled wool vest for solos. I've gone with a white cotton blouse with french cuffs and some subtle lace trim.

MrsBart
04-20-2006, 04:36 AM
I know this topic has long since died, but I have only just gotten around to reading it:

a) dont laugh at the flipflops (thongs here in Australia, and if you're wondering what we call a thong - a 'g-string'). Over here you will often see the odd bandsperson walking around in uniform wearing flipflop/thongs before competitions as the gillies are just too blimmin hot! :bleh:

b) the piece taken from the old book mentioned above...well Id LOVE to know what the author had stuck in his neither-regions. Someone had ticked him off that day. Mind you, this is still probibly the era where women were kept in confinement post-pregnancy...

c) I guess its just a geographical thing, but when I saw the picture of proposed women's dress, I couldnt believe my eyes. They will let you compete in that? I dont think I have ever seen anyone down here under the age of 70-odd dress like that(I dont mean to sound condecending, its just a statement), let alone compete in it as a 'uniform'. I think it would cause an uproar.

But it is always interesting to learn what happens out in the wider pipeband community. I dont think I would be keen on drumming anywhere in pumps, let alone a street march or even stockings underneath hose. Its certainly given me alot to think about.....

Colonel644
04-21-2006, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Amber McPaul:
I dont think I would be keen on drumming anywhere in pumps, let alone a street march or even stockings underneath hose. Its certainly given me alot to think about..... :humm: (comment changed after rethinking)

Margaret
04-21-2006, 07:38 PM
You could try something like this:

http://www.bcpipers.org/photos/album15/valafs.jpg

MrsBart
04-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Now THAT is pretty funky! :thumb:

Cdrummer87
04-24-2006, 09:37 AM
>"a) dont laugh at the flipflops...Over here you will often see the odd bandsperson walking around in uniform wearing flipflop/thongs before competitions as the gillies are just too blimmin hot!"

Same here in Arizona. :wink: