PDA

View Full Version : Many names for one tune

Christine
10-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Have been trying to compile
a sort of compendium of tunes with
cross references. Finding many with
same scor e different title.

Like My Country Tis of Thee and God Save The Queen e.g., etc.

Anyone got any special ones you've run into?

Thanks,

Christine

Rob. Ga
10-15-2002, 01:45 PM
The River Wide and The Border Ballad...I think :(
Green Sleeves and something..somthing this child :shrug: , the name escapes me now.

pmotw
10-15-2002, 01:52 PM
O.P. Falls
Onaping Falls
77th Farewell to Ticernoga (sp?)

Rick James
10-15-2002, 02:27 PM
The Jolly Beggarman
The Roving Journeyman
The Red-Haired Boy

No doubt all the same person: a journeyman level beggar with red hair

Gord MacDonald
10-15-2002, 02:33 PM
The Glendaruel Highlanders - Cambelltown Loch

Cheers,

GMac
www.bagpipe.ca (http://www.bagpipe.ca)

lonewlf4
10-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Miss Campbell's Polka
Bonnet Trimmed with Blue
Let's Have a Ceilidh

Rick
10-15-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Rob. Ga:
The River Wide and The Border Ballad...I think :(
Green Sleeves and something..somthing this child :shrug: , the name escapes me now.I believe I can help refresh your memory. The tune for "Greensleeves" is also used for a Christmas carol, "What Child is this?". Just happened to be brushing up on it for the upcoming season.

AWPIPER
10-15-2002, 05:44 PM
Christine,
Try this page....they have done most of the work already.... Irish/Scottish names of tunes (http://members.tripod.com/~Hiestand/phantompiper/TUNENAME.HTM#SAME)
Mark

Christine
10-15-2002, 09:05 PM
Hi Mark and all who responded so far.

I believe I can add to the list on
that site.

Any more out there?

Happy Piping !

Christine

Ian Lawther
10-16-2002, 08:21 AM
It can be interesting looking at how tune names get corrupted. Sometimes it is simply that someone doesn't know the original name and therefore renames it (apparently Francis O'Neill did this a lot in his massive collection of Irish music). In Irish music new names are often taken from the musician from whom the tune was heard - Cooley's Reel, Sweeney's Polka etc.

Other changes can be seen as obvious mishearing. The Flagon in Scotland is called The Flogging Reel in Ireland. An interesting little evolution of tune name is found in the English Morris dance tradition where "Laudnum Bunches" is also known "Boys of the Bunch". Quite a jump until you come across a third title "Lads a Bunchem", where you realise Laudnum got changed to Lads, and then a synonym "Boys" crept in.

Add into this tunes used for dances which acquire the dance title - I've heard The Drunken Piper referred to as "The Reel of the 51st" (a dance set to the tune by officer prisoners of war from the 51st Highland Division in Germany in the Second World War), or tunes that have been used for songs - Burning Sands of Egypt becomes Road to the Isles etc.

Ian

Gordô ©1980
10-16-2002, 09:22 AM
O.P. Falls
Onaping Falls
77th Farewell to Ticernoga (sp?)
77ths Farewell to Fort Ticonderoga??? Written by B.K Adder???

Very funny story about this tune name....anyone here been to the Banff National Army Cadet Camp???

Ian Robertson
10-16-2002, 12:52 PM
The Bens of Jura
Burning Sands of Egypt
Road to the Isles

(in that order, I believe...)

Ian Robertson

SergeantFirstClass
10-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Just as a note Ian (Lawther), the "Reel of the 51st HD" is, I believe, made up of "the Drunken Piper, Barren Rocks of Aden, Correcholies Welcome..., and Teribus", in that order. The history is correct as I've read it and been told. Used mainly in Scot country dancing. It was apperently used as a tune for calisthetic dancing for the captured soldiers. They are still taught the country dancing in the highland regiments. I guess to make the soldiers a little more socially acceptible. Cheers :thumb:

The Wick
10-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by pmotw:
O.P. Falls
Onaping Falls
77th Farewell to Ticernoga (sp?)The actual title of the tune is 'The Onaping Falls Centennial Pipe Band'

Cheers! :p

Ken MacKenzie
10-16-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Gord:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...anyone here been to the Banff National Army Cadet Camp???</div></div>Yep, would you believe in 1962? We were the Camp Pipe Band and I was the P/M. We went all the way from Nova Scotia by train. I'm gonna have to dig out my photo albums for some memories...

Ken

John Bottomley
10-17-2002, 07:22 AM
My favorite "multi-naming" of a tune is for Scotland the Brave, which I have also seen printed as Irishman's Toast.

Matt Buckley_dup1
10-17-2002, 07:35 AM
I believe "Boy's Lament for his Dragon" and "79th Farewell to Aberdeen" are the same tune.

erracht
10-17-2002, 01:31 PM
That's 72nd's (probably meant 42nd's - also
called the Royal Highlanders' Farewell to
Aberdeen.)

Let's Have A Ceilidh is also called the Liberton
Boys, The Liberton Polka or The Caubeen Trimmed
With Blue.

Then, The Wearing of the Green/The Rising of the
Moon/And Sae We Shall Yet.

sfpm
10-30-2002, 07:15 PM
The actual name of the tune which was composed by my brother the year we won is " Onaping Falls Centennial Pipe Band Champion Supreme 1978",not that it really matters.

Cheers :

Dave McPhail

Eddie Cornet
10-31-2002, 05:58 AM
I believe "Boy's Lament for his Dragon" and Boys Lament for his Kite are one and the same