PDA

View Full Version : Boston

John Gasper
12-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi all,

Call me crazy for making a move to the north east in the middle of winter, but I'm about to move to Boston (beginning of Jan). Does anyone know of any good practice locations?

I'm still looking for a place to live, but something tells me that most future roommates won't like me playing inside.... (and if anyone knows of a cheap apartment near harvard, let me know)

thanks
john

Chris Kelleher
12-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by gasper:
(and if anyone knows of a cheap apartment near harvard, let me know):lol: You are kidding, right?

shottsfan
12-09-2005, 10:48 AM
There are some nice guys in the Boston FD that may be able to give you some tips and pointers.

Their pipe band website is:
http://www.bgfb.org/

I can check with someone I know in the band to see if he is comfortable with me sharing his email address with you. If so, I will PM you with his info.

Good luck!!!

Deanna
aka shottsfan

John Gasper
12-09-2005, 10:48 AM
i wish... you gotta love being a starving phd student.

rpeitzsch
12-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by gasper:
and if anyone knows of a cheap apartment near harvard, let me knowROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, I know Chris beat me to it.....

From a former very-long-time-ago starving phd student.

BESharp
12-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Well, you know, "MD" stands for "Money Doctor" and "PHd" stands for "Poor, hungry doctor".

rpeitzsch
12-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by BESharp:
"PHd" stands for "Poor, hungry doctor". Depends on how good your tips are when driving the taxi.

Airborne92
12-09-2005, 12:46 PM
..."PHd" stands for "Poor, hungry doctor". ________________________________________________

Gee, I always thought it stood for "Pile it higher and Deeper".

SCK

aeryn.phoenix
12-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey there, I know it's not nextdoor, but Celticfire is pretty near to you celtic fire (http://celticfire.com/)

rpeitzsch
12-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Airborne92:

SCK That's why the Beer Tent is such a good fit! :D

Alaytheia
12-11-2005, 03:06 PM
http://www.clanmacpherson.org/

A "Boston area" band.

Bonnie - MemorialMusic
12-11-2005, 03:13 PM
You can look for Boston area pipers in my Bagpiper Directory.

Richard Cranium
12-11-2005, 04:01 PM
You may want to consider looking for something in say Arlington or places just outside of the city, it's much cheaper, with better parking. The "T" or commuter rail provides easy subway access to Boston. Plus, there's plenty of parks and wooded (summertime) areas where you can practice without worrying about roomates.

Boston is a great city, art, culture, restaurants, museums, schools, Red Sox, night life . . . and of course don't forget the great drivers!

Good luck!

Linz
12-11-2005, 04:03 PM
..."PHd" stands for "Poor, hungry doctor".

Out here in Nevada, if you hire somebody with a PHd, it means he has his own Post Hole Digger.
:smokin:

Macswegan
12-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Nice CV, Gasper -- looks like you are doing some interesting work. Good luck with the Ph.D.!

Klondike Waldo
12-11-2005, 06:10 PM
There are several pipe bands in the Boston area- not just police and fire dept. bands, but several others in all grades (Well, so far up to 2) Some of the bands will be willing to hook you up with a ride to their practice, even. Celtic Fire is a god local resource- though about 40 miles south of Cambridge, and there's C&C bagpipes in Gloucester, about the same distance northeast.
If you're going to be at Harvard, you'll probably not be the only piper there- find out where the others practice. There may be practice rooms you can reserve like any other musician. Failing that- you may find thay on of the dozens of churches in the area will let you practice in their parish hall or some such.

You will find rents generally cheaper outside the City and the T is usually reliable- heck I even go to intown gigs on the T.

I'm located 12 Mi SE of Boston. I play Commencement for two houses at Harvard every year and an occasional wedding or memorial service at Memorial Chapel- maybe we'll bump into each other there.

HepcatBob
12-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Here are some helpful hints for folks moving to Boston.

There's no school on School Street, no court on Court Street, no dock on Dock Square and no water on Water Street.

Back Bay streets are in alphabetical "oddah": Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, etc.

So are South Boston streets: A, B, C, D, etc.

If the streets are named after trees (e.g. Walnut, Chestnut, Cedar), you're on Beacon Hill.

If they're named after poets, you're in Wellesley.

Massachusetts Ave is Mass Ave.
Commonwealth Ave is Comm Ave.
South Boston is Southie.
The South End is the South End.
East Boston is Eastie.
The North End is east of the former West End.
The West End and Scollay Square are no more; a guy named Rappaport got rid of them one night.
Roxbury is The Burry, Jamaica Plain is J.P.

Definitions:
Frappes have ice cream, milkshakes don't.
If it is fizzy and flavored, it's tonic.
Soda is CLUB SODA.
"Pop" is Dad. When we want Tonic WATER, we will ask for Tonic WATER.
The smallest beer is a pint.
Scrod is whatever they tell you it is, usually fish. If you paid more than $6/pound, you got scrod.
It's not a water fountain; it's a bubblah.
It's not a trashcan; it's a barrel.
It's not a shopping cart; it's a carriage.
It's not a purse; it's a pockabook.
It's not a rubber band, it's an elastic.
It's not a traffic circle, it's a rotary.
"Going to the islands" means Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket.
They're not franks; they're haht dahgs. Franks are money in France.
Police don't drive patrol units or black and whites they drive a "crooza".
If you take the bus, your on the "looza crooza".
If something's good, it's "pissa". If something's! really good, it's "wicked
pissa".
The Pat's = The Patriots
The Sox = The Red Sox
The C's = The Celtics
The B's = The Bruins
Things not to do:
Don't pahk your cah in Hahvid Yahd ... they'll tow it to Meffa (Medford) or Slumaville (Somerville).
Don't sleep in the Common. (Boston Common)
Don't wear Orange in Southie on St. Patrick's Day.
Things you should know:
There are two State Houses, two City Halls, two courthouses, two Hancock buildings (one old, one new for each).
The colored lights on top the old Hancock tell the weatha':
Solid blue, clear view....
Flashing blue, clouds due....
Solid red, rain ahead....
Flashing red, snow instead.... - (except in summer; flashing red means the Red Sox game was rained out)
Route 128 is also I-95 south. It's also I-93 north.
The underground train is not a subway. It's the "T", and it doesn't run all night (fah chrysakes, this ain't Noo Yawk).
Order the "cold tea" in China Town after 2:00 am you'll get a kettle full of beer.
Bostonians... think that it's their God-given right to cut off someone in traffic.
Bostonians...think that there are only 25 letters in the alphabet (no R's).
Bostonians...think that three straight days of 90+ temperatures is a heat wave.
Bostonians...refer to six inches of snow as a "dusting."
Bostonians...say everything in town is "a five-minute walk." (pronounced "wok")
Bostonians...believe that using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.
Bostonians...think that 63-degree ocean water is warm.
Bostonians...think Rhode Island accents are annoying.
Bostonians...always "bang a left" as soon as the light turns green and oncoming traffic always expects it.
How to say these Massachusetts city names correctly:
Worcester: Wuhsta (or Wistah)
Gloucester: Glawsta
Leicester: Lesta
Woburn: Wooban
Dedham: Dedim (like denim)
Revere: Re-vee-ah
Quincy: Quinzee
Peabody: Peabuddy
Waltham: Walt h-ham
Chatham: Chattum
Swampscott- Swamp-scit

:thumb:

Chris Abernethy
12-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, welcome to Taxachusses.

Chris Abernethy
12-11-2005, 09:46 PM
I think I misspelled Taxachusetts.

David
12-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi John,

I once declined a job in the Boston area on the grounds that a professional job requiring a graduate degree should yield a monthly salary greater than or equal to the average monthly rent.

I understand that you have to cross the bridge at Kittery and rent in southern Maine if you want to live in the Boston "area."

L'Hatzlacha (good success) from your piping friends here,
-David.

John Gasper
12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks all. I appreciate the different area bands. Aalthough I'm not sure how much time I'll have...my advisor has this sily idea that I'm supposed to finish my dissertation...

re apartments: yeah... it's kind of scary that the place (room in a house) that i agreed to take costs 50% more than my one bedroom apartment here in pittsburgh...

Thanks Macswegan -- academia beats working any day... what do you do?

Hey David - good to hear from you! How is the band going over there? Tell Bob, Oren and the crew hi for me!

Thanks again everyone, and hopefully I'll see some of you boston area pipers at a pub up there.

John

Andrew McIntosh
12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
My sympathies on your move to Boston. Pittsburgh just wasn't cold enough for you?

If you send me a message I can put you in touch with a couple good teachers in the metro Boston area. They know the scene well - from pubs to bands.

Good luck on the move! Bring your wool socks and long johns.

69 R/T
12-16-2005, 02:00 PM
That was great HepcatBob! Very funny.

Jo-Ann
12-17-2005, 06:00 AM
And so accurate! :wink:

Hilton Cubitt
12-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by HepcatBob:
Here are some helpful hints for folks moving to Boston.You forgot the most important one:

Where do you buy beer?

***DOWN DA PACKY***

Klondike Waldo
12-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Chris Abernethy:
Well, welcome to Taxachusses. Actually, the taxers here aren't as high as some would have you believe. While it's true that NH has no sales tax or income tax, real estate taxes are pretty high in NH. Our Sales tax is lower than CT, RI, and NY,( and several other states and does not apply to clothing and groceries.(some states have a sales tax on everything) Rent and housing in general cost way too much, but that's because there is too little of it and too many people who would buy it if they could.

MPBforlife
12-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey Gasper,

If your interested in playing in a highly competitive gr. II or IV pipe band, the Manchester Pipe Band of Manchester, Connecticut is welcoming pipers and drummers from all over the northeast. Manchester, CT is about a hour and three quarters drive from the Boston area and many members of the band live in or around Boston so carpooling opportunities could be explored. Check us out at www.manchesterpb.org (http://www.manchesterpb.org)

Cheers