Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners, Intermediate, + (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346)
-   -   Introductions - new piper (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164824)

Piperchase 08-05-2017 02:06 PM

Introductions - new piper

Hello, Piper here.

I'm new to piping. I've been using a practice chanter for a while now. I'll be starting myself on a set of pipes before too long. Hope to get great info from this forum.

Thanks to all already

Piper

Piperchase 08-05-2017 02:08 PM

Re: Introductions

How does one add a signature to a post?

EagleJCS 08-05-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piperchase (Post 1317101)
How does one add a signature to a post?

That would be on your user profile (User CP on the forum menu above), User Signature is the first link under Settings and options on the left. That puts the same signature on ALL of your posts. :thumb:

Pip01 08-06-2017 10:01 AM

Greetings, Piperchase,

Very pleased to have you join us... and... Welcome Aboard!! :)

We (generally speaking :) have a rather happy and rollicksome
mob here... and there is much good information to be gleaned
herein... (Though six pipers... will get you... a dozen opinions!! :)

Just jump right in... and feel free to ask... anything!! (We do!! :)

All the Best!!

Pip01

apease 09-03-2017 07:21 AM

Hi! I'm a beginner who just bought a set of McCallum pipes on a visit to Glasgow. I'm a serious (performing) amateur clarinettist and always wanted to try bagpipes. I have a day job in computer software. I've started on the practice chanter and found a local teacher. From my beginner vantage point it looks like working up to the pressure and airflow requirements of the bagpipes will be my biggest challenge. I thought after playing bass clarinet it couldn't be too bad, but more power and breath is required than I ever expected. I suppose the way forward is just a usual daily practice regimen to get stronger day by day. All advice is welcome!

Adam

el gaitero 09-03-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apease (Post 1318026)
Hi! I'm a beginner who just bought a set of McCallum pipes on a visit to Glasgow...

A quality instructor....grade 2 or higher will make an immense difference in how you progress and how well. Set up properly...playing pipes can be almost effortless.

apease 09-03-2017 08:10 AM

el gaitero - is there any specific configuration you'd recommend? Particular drone reeds or chanter reed? I've tried putting my plastic practice chanter reed in the real chanter, in place of the cane reed, and it's easier to make the chanter sound, but just keeping the drones sounding seems to take way more pressure and breath volume than even bass clarinet played forte.

Green Piper 09-03-2017 09:12 AM

Practice chanter reeds in regular pipe chanters will not work because the blowing pressure on the pipes is much higher than on the PC.

Choice of reeds for your pipes is going to be based on a number of things, one being which make of drones they are. After that, issues such as sensitivity to unsteady blowing and moisture can affect the choice, then there's ease of setup and finally the sound.

The key is having a good instructor as he/she will be able to assist you with reed choices and pipe setup.

Also note that getting onto the full pipes is usually only undertaken after a couple of months on the PC. Even then, it can be quite a learning curve to master the art of even blowing, strength, and finger dexterity.

However, the end result is well worth it.

Charlie

el gaitero 09-03-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apease (Post 1318029)
el gaitero - is there any specific configuration you'd recommend?

I'd recommend MG carbon reeds to go with your Mccallum pipes. Selbie is another good choice. Noodle Google to find the Pipers Dojo vid of how to set the drone reeds most air efficient. Learn a little too about tuning your drones.

Don't waste time with the practice chanter reed in your pipe chanter. Check out pipers Hut in OH to get an easy strength cane reed. Shepherd standard reed goes well in Mccallum chanters. Ask the owner Jon to personally pressure check them to give you some reeds that are 20-25" max h20 strength.

Play for 15-20 min. with only one drone..any drone..plug the others... then two drones, on so on.

With drones set efficiently and a useable chanter reed in a week or two you'll be on your way. Perserverence.

do you have a basic synthetic bag or hybrid syn bag? What maker?

Do you have a proper experienced instructor? That would be a huge help.

apease 09-03-2017 10:26 AM

Many thanks for all the advice. My instructor seems like a pro - I've listened to his CD's. He adjusted my instrument and reeds and sounded good playing them. I'm probably just jumping the gun looking for advice since I won't have a second lesson until a week from now. I'll try stoppering the drones for now, and ask my instructor about reed choices. I have a McCallum AB3 with a synthetic bag and EZdrone reeds.