Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=356)
-   -   Ezeedrone Reeds (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160732)

the doc 11-22-2015 12:31 PM

Ezeedrone Reeds

I have a set of John Rutzen smallpipes, made in Donegall, Ireland. They are in the key of A. Has anyone tried ezeedrones in this make of pipe or indeed in any smallpipes in A?

Thanks in anticipation.

Michael.

Klondike Waldo 11-22-2015 01:48 PM

Re: Ezeedrone Reeds

I can't answer to Rutzen smallpipes, but I have been using EzeeDrone reeds in my Kinnear SSP and my Jonathan Swayne lowland pipes (tenors only in the Swaynes) for several years
After 10 years, the Ezees in my Kinnear SSP in A are getting somehwat unstable. I think ther bridles wear out/loosen up with age. They look to me to be shrink tubing.

EzeeDrone does evidently make drone reeds specifically for John Rutzen SSP in A- at least I saw them listed ("Rutzon") on Northwest Bagpipe Supply's page. You'd probably want to order directly from PipeDreams as you're on that side of the Atlantic.

wheels2onfire 11-22-2015 02:23 PM

Try this. I saw John Rutzen pipes in the drop-down list.

http://www.pipedreamsreeds.com/produ...s-in-key-of-a/

CalumII 11-22-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo (Post 1292367)
After 10 years, the Ezees in my Kinnear SSP in A are getting somehwat unstable. I think ther bridles wear out/loosen up with age. They look to me to be shrink tubing.

I have had the same issue (with reeds the same age) and solved it, oddly enough, not by dealing with the bridles but by weighting the tongues. A little dab of blu-tac and then shifting the bridles to suit did the business.

the doc 11-23-2015 03:20 AM

Thanks Guys. I hadn't seen the drop down list on the Pipe Dreams website. It's good to know the reeds are made for my make of pipes and I'll not have to modify something to make do.

Thanks again.

pancelticpiper 11-23-2015 05:17 AM

I've taken off the rubber bridles on some of my old EzeeDrone reeds and wrapped on a traditional hemp bridle which seems to improve the tone.

My experience with EzeeDrone reeds in Scottish Smallpipes is perhaps unique: I bought a set of very old Cocus & Ivory Miniature Highland pipes on Ebay several years ago for $200. I was the only bidder. They still have the original cowhorn mouthpiece. The ancient hide bag was so fragile it was pretty much falling apart, like the wrappings on a mummy.

It didn't come with a chanter so I had John Walsh make me an ABW chanter (the only wood he had). I had him make the chanter in A=440.

Now, being as this old set had no chanter with it there was no way to tell what the original pitch was, but when I put EzeeDrone SSP reeds in it the drones were very sharp, producing C#!

I was out at a Tionol and somebody had EzeeDrone reeds in their D uilleann drones. I noticed that these were very long, and knowing that I needed to get a lower pitch out of my SSP drones, on a whim I stuck these uilleann D EzeeDrone reeds in my old SSPs.

Wow! They played bang-on at A=440, with a great tone, easy to strike in, and very stable. They tune in at all the "right" places with the tenors up at the hemp line and the bass top high and the bass mid low. I've been playing these SSPs like this for years and they're a wonderful set.

CalumII 11-23-2015 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pancelticpiper (Post 1292387)
I've taken off the rubber bridles on some of my old EzeeDrone reeds and wrapped on a traditional hemp bridle which seems to improve the tone.

Yes, I thought I'd try that. The issue was that that generation of reeds was made with a deliberate "bend" in the tongue, like a score or crease. To get it right, you needed very accurate tension on the bridle.