Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=376)
-   -   Piping teachers in NYC and comp bands in NYC metro area? (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169426)

Joseph Diodato 02-25-2020 07:01 PM

Piping teachers in NYC and comp bands in NYC metro area?

Hi folks,

I'll be moving back home to New York City this summer and thought I'd put out a feeler to see what reccomendations folks might have for piping instructors located in the city. I'll be looking to join a competitive band and compete as a solo piper in the EUSPBA. I'm also in the process of researching bands, and I've narrowed my initial list (based on bands I can reasonably get to via the various metro systems to the below list:
  • Bergen Irish Pipe Band
  • Jimmy Higgins Memorial Pipe Band
  • Roisin Dubh Irish PB (Grade 3)
  • Roisin Dubh Irish PB (Grade 5)
  • Saffron United Pipe Band

I did have NY Metro on my list, but thought that a grade 2 band would be quite a bit more advanced than what I'm ready for at the moment. I'm making great progress on the big pipes, but it's been just over a year since I began on the practice chanter! I'm also in the process of preparing my first grade IV 2/4 march, 6/8 march and full piob.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

magsevenband 02-25-2020 08:17 PM

Re: Piping teachers in NYC and comp bands in NYC metro area?

Bergen Irish/Jimmy Higgins are the same band/ a great landing spot..focus on your intonation and steady blowing...they are known for that.

Joseph Diodato 02-25-2020 08:32 PM

Mags,

Thank you for confirming my hunch! I got the sense from a quick Google search that JH was Bergen's grade 5 band, both ultimately under the same program. Many thanks for the perspective. :)

- Joe

Matthew Quinn Martin 02-26-2020 05:14 AM

You can always come up to Invermark in the summer

piper Q 02-28-2020 09:56 AM

The NY Metro area is quite expansive. How much travel are you willing put in?

Putnam County is easily reached in about 1&1/2 hours on the Harlem Division of Metro North and the Stephen P. Driscoll Memorial Pipes and Drum practice in the KofC in Carmel NY.

Rockland County has the Ancient Order of Hibernians

Orange County has Hudson Valley Regional Police P&Ds and a few more.

Westchester County has several...

Then there are a few in nearby Connecticut as well.

The end of April will see the first gathering of Pipe Bands for the Annual West Point Tattoo, at the US Military Academy, if you can make it to that you'll have opportunity to speak with several bands throughout the area and maybe get a feel for the PM and members.

DapperDan 03-02-2020 03:15 PM

Another great band in the area is St. Columcille United Gaelic Pipe Band in Kearny, NJ. Providing instruction and fielding competition bands in grades 3, 4, and 5 currently. Several members from NYC.