Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=376)
-   -   What the Masters are playing (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166940)

el gaitero 09-14-2018 02:48 PM

Re: What the Masters are playing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Hinerman (Post 1331196)
I for one would like to know their entire setups;

Chanter
Chanter reed
Bag
Drones
Drone reeds

It would be interesting to get each Master's take on why they play what they play. I think it would encourage us mere mortals, and give us options we haven't thought of before.

Lots of variable and equal similarities I think.

Dan Bell 09-15-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMT (Post 1331157)
Stuart Liddell was competing with a new McCallum solo chanter that is still under development.

Yes. I've heard that chanter in person and it's pretty spectacular. Of course, Stuart could make most anything sound good, but the new chanter really sings. I don't know what reed he plays in it.

pancelticpiper 09-22-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMT (Post 1331157)
Stuart Liddell was competing with a new McCallum solo chanter that is still under development.

So McCallum recently came out with the Ceol chanter and are now developing yet another? They sure stay busy there!

Mac an t-Sealgair 12-23-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Hinerman (Post 1331196)
I for one would like to know their entire setups;

Chanter
Chanter reed
Bag
Drones
Drone reeds

It would be interesting to get each Master's take on why they play what they play. I think it would encourage us mere mortals, and give us options we haven't thought of before.

Its a bit out of date, but still interesting....

https://www.pipesdrums.com/article/W...-drums-Survey/

el gaitero 12-24-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper_hm (Post 1330070)

Shawn, the mystery pic - Ben Duncan plays the newer R.G. Hardie Blackwood chanter with a Shepherd reed.

Since this old thread has now been resurrected ...FWIW... at the 2018 Metro Cup in New Jersey,USA Sgt. Piper Ben Duncan...(Army school of piping)....told me he was then playing a set of 1993 Shepherd pipes.

Pip01 12-24-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gaitero

Ben Duncan...(Army school of piping)....told me he was then playing a set of 1993 Shepherd pipes.

And something to be said... for that sort of thing. :)

el gaitero 12-24-2018 05:50 PM

I wonder if then Shepherd was ( still...or not at all) under MOD contract providing pipes

CalumII 12-25-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gaitero (Post 1333729)
I wonder if then Shepherd was ( still...or not at all) under MOD contract providing pipes

No - it has been some time since items like these were supplied by a fixed contract. Each purchase now goes through an approval process, which includes choosing a supplier, then the decision is made and the thing bought. The advantage being that now it's possible to purchase things that you actually want through the system, as opposed to things the MOD thinks you need.

Pip01 12-26-2018 10:40 AM

A Very Partial Quote From CallumII
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalumII

The advantage being that now it's possible to purchase things that you actually want through the system, as opposed to things the MOD thinks you need.

But Callum... and All...

Doesn't that take all the suspense... and some of the fun... out of it?! :)

el gaitero 12-26-2018 12:11 PM

Pipe Major.....Colonel wants to know who ordered the 1Bn SG 400 pair of square toe spats...!