Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners, Intermediate, + (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346)
-   -   Pet hair and bag covers (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168476)

Triskele 06-25-2019 03:31 PM

Pet hair and bag covers

OK, I feel like this is a trivial question, but I can't be the only person having this kind of issue. My band requires black bag covers (for performances anyway) and I have a terrible time keeping it free of cat hair as my grey cat likes to shed. I try to keep the bag clear of cat hair, but it always ends up looking dirty. The way I see it, I have a few options to deal with this.

1. Keep the black cover tucked away in plastic and only use it for performances, and use a grey tweed or similar bag cover other times to mask the hair issue.

2. Use the black cover all the time and just deal with having to clean it constantly with a lint roller. This sounds like a real pain.

3. Possibly find a black cover made of a different material (maybe one of the water proof kinds?) that resists pet hair sticking to it in the first place.

Right now, I'm leaning towards option 1, but I just wanted to see first if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions as to how I might best deal with this :shrug:

P.S. Getting rid of the cat is not an option! :)

el gaitero 06-25-2019 03:34 PM

Re: Pet hair and bag covers

Get a black cat. Keep the other in the band locker.

:grin:

Jim Fogelman 06-25-2019 03:35 PM

I do a combination of 1 and 2.

I usually keep a different cover on or let my bag be naked. When I do put the band cover on, I will have to lint roll it.

Pip01 06-25-2019 05:08 PM

Hmm... Bits of 1 and 2 seem good.
(Plastic bags and lint rollers.)

And... I am suddenly reminded of a very Aristocratic
Southern Lady... and of... The Old School... who once
remarked... and very emphatically... that...

"No outfit is complete... without a bit
of ____ (and fill in the blank with your
favorite animal :) hair on it! :)

If it is of any consolation... I have had one Border
Collie and two Australian Shepherds... over Time...
and the company... far outweighed the confusion!! :)

Have a grand time of it with the plastic bags... and the
lint rollers!! :) (More than worth it!! :)

Triskele 06-26-2019 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll just get a grayish tweed bag cover for everyday use and put the black velvet one away in plastic for performances only :thumb:

DapperDan 06-26-2019 04:53 PM

Cat hair is pernicious.
I was recently issued a NEW cover that came pre-cat-haired. It had merely been in a certain band member's car, in a box, before being handed out.

I recommend a lint brush (not the same as a roller). I few quick strokes clean a bag cover nicely and make it look pretty sharp, even if wasn't dusty to begin with.

good luck

Triskele 06-27-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gaitero (Post 1338289)
Get a black cat. Keep the other in the band locker.

:grin:

Actually, I used to have a black cat, and he shed gray hair too! His undercoat maybe :shrug:

He was gray once actually, when he got stuck in the ceiling and came out covered in dust... :doh:

Triskele 06-27-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperDan (Post 1338340)
Cat hair is pernicious.
I was recently issued a NEW cover that came pre-cat-haired. It had merely been in a certain band member's car, in a box, before being handed out.

I recommend a lint brush (not the same as a roller). I few quick strokes clean a bag cover nicely and make it look pretty sharp, even if wasn't dusty to begin with.

good luck

Thanks, that is a great recommendation. The rollers can be a bit of a pain having to always peel off the paper and repurchase. I will definitely give a lint brush a try :thumb:

Triskele 10-10-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triskele (Post 1338364)
Thanks, that is a great recommendation. The rollers can be a bit of a pain having to always peel off the paper and repurchase. I will definitely give a lint brush a try :thumb:

Quick update and thanks again to DapperDan. The lint brush has been working really great and I like it so much better than lint rollers. It works so well that I just always use my black cover and try to steer clear of cat hair hot spots. When it does get cat hair, the lint brush makes quick work of it.