Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (DIY) (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=355)
-   -   Tuning pin hemp leak (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169074)

Dunbonnet 11-16-2019 12:43 PM

Tuning pin hemp leak

I've had this problem since I started to use pre waxed black hemp. One of the tenors became unefficient. So corked off the top of the drone , and tried to suck in at the reed seat to create a vaccum , which could prove the airtightness. The other two drones passed , but this one wasn't really on the top. So changed the hemp to yellow waxed and unwaxed , just to see if it makes difference. And right after it , it was great for about a week , than it bedded down , tried to add some hemp , which should sort out the problem in most cases , but my "hiss" came back. Now I'm a bit clueless , checked out the drone parts in and out , no cracks , and individually the parts are airtight. I also made sure that I apply the hemp evenly , but the problem still remains. My set is quite new , was made around 2010 , well maintained , annually oiled with R.G Hardie BW oil , so you cannot say that my vintage bagpipes have some untrue chambers , and need to be trued up , so no , that is not the case. I'm just looking for some good advices from experienced pipers , pipe makers , repairers , or people who had a similar problem.

el gaitero 11-16-2019 02:00 PM

Re: Tuning pin hemp leak

Is there a metal cap with an Ď ivoryí bushing? There is ( on my Ď70ís Hardie FS pipes) a tight fit wood disc holding the Bush in place which also seals the top of the bell...under the decorative silver cap.
I finally figured out thatís where my leak was...around the edge of the bush shoulder under the cap ..leaking between the bush and the wood where there should have been glue.

Maybe itís not the pin at all.

el gaitero 11-16-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyWog (Post 1341433)
If were mine I would get a hold of the dealer I got them from or NO dealer get a hold of a the make of Pipes company and ask to send them to them to look at.. I would think would be best quickest but maybe not the cheapest.. but they are your pipes not mine..

I would leave the hemp that is causing the problem and make sure its doing just before you pack them up to ship them out. include a note about what's going on.

Good luck.

Willy

...maybe a bit of a rush to judgement I think....the OP has been at pipes only a relative short while ...itís all part of the learning curve...; Iím doubtful this leak is an insurmountable issue that canít be resolved after a few experienced local piping chums take a look.

Dunbonnet 11-17-2019 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyWog (Post 1341433)
If were mine I would get a hold of the dealer I got them from or NO dealer get a hold of a the make of Pipes company and ask to send them to them to look at.. I would think would be best quickest but maybe not the cheapest.. but they are your pipes not mine..

I would leave the hemp that is causing the problem and make sure its doing just before you pack them up to ship them out. include a note about what's going on.

Good luck.

Willy

I still have the dealer receipt , and I got a 5 year manufacturer warranty for this set. So wouldnít be expensive at all , just need to get down to Glasgow , which isnít that cheap.

Dunbonnet 11-17-2019 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gaitero (Post 1341432)
Is there a metal cap with an Ď ivoryí bushing? There is ( on my Ď70ís Hardie FS pipes) a tight fit wood disc holding the Bush in place which also seals the top of the bell...under the decorative silver cap.
I finally figured out thatís where my leak was...around the edge of the bush shoulder under the cap ..leaking between the bush and the wood where there should have been glue.

Maybe itís not the pin at all.

You know , I have tested the tenor tuning part , and it is airtight , individually.
It is not the Bush , but that could be solved with some oil or Cork grease. It is the chamber allowing air to pass trough the meeting of the hemp and the bore.

el gaitero 11-17-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunbonnet (Post 1341437)
You know , I have tested the tenor tuning part , and it is airtight , individually.
It is not the Bush , but that could be solved with some oil or Cork grease. It is the chamber allowing air to pass trough the meeting of the hemp and the bore.

..or ptf tape ...the tape of champions.....

CalumII 11-17-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunbonnet (Post 1341431)
My set is quite new , was made around 2010 , well maintained , annually oiled with R.G Hardie BW oil , so you cannot say that my vintage bagpipes have some untrue chambers , and need to be trued up

This is an incorrect assumption. New wood will move *more* than old wood, and it is quite normal for the tuning chambers to become untrue. Fixing them is a few minutes work for a pipemaker.

el gaitero 11-17-2019 09:21 AM

Yeah,...sharing your leak issue with your local piping chums 'eyes on' might come up with something less extreme than the expense and lost time of shipping the set back to RGH straight away. Even if beyond the 5 yr warranty I'd be surprised if they didn't true them up ,...if needed..,at no cost other than return shipping.