Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Piobaireachd (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   Piobaireachds similar to the sound of "The MacGregor's Salute" (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163569)

Pppiper 01-13-2017 11:23 AM

Piobaireachds similar to the sound of "The MacGregor's Salute"

Hi all,

I'm slowly working my way through starting to learn piobaireachd. One of my biggest barriers has been the fact that I gravitate more toward light music, so some piobaireachds, while perfectly excellent in their own right, are just not my particular flavor of scotch.

It took me a while, but I eventually stumbled across The MacGregor's Salute. Jim McGillivrary has it as one of the tunes available on his site. I was immediately drawn to the sample, and purchased it immediately.

I'm very happy with MacGregor's Salute, and I feel like it's just what I needed to get myself started in appreciating piobaireach. Trouble is, I have yet to find a second piobaireachd that grabs me in the same manner. Also, I really have a hard time hearing the music of piobaireachd from the written page, so I'm kind of stuck with pursuing tunes which are available with auditory samples.

So I'm simply posing this question: Are you familiar with The MacGregors' Salute; if so, does it remind you of any other tunes, musically?

(Please refrain from simply stating "get and ask an instructor." I've been through this with instructors; they have their own tastes, just like anyone else. And I don't really think playing a game of "20 questions/tunes" is a very effective use of lesson time, all simply because I'm a bit selective in the tunes I wish to pursue. Basically, if possible, I'd prefer to find some tunes myself that strike my fancy; then I can bring them to an instructor and say "please help me pursue THIS.")

Also I've noticed people tend to like to know playing level for such questions ... while I would prefer folks' opinions regardless of playing level, ideally I am looking for tunes which would hold up at grade 2 level and above in a competition (so tunes which include A Mach variations).

Thanks for any and all input.

Cheers.

Steven Knox 01-13-2017 12:16 PM

Re: Piobaireachds similar to the sound of "The MacGregor's Salute"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pppiper (Post 1309659)
Are you familiar with The MacGregors' Salute; if so, does it remind you of any other tunes, musically?

To answer a question with a question, can you say what it about this tune that appeals to you? Is it the structure? If so, maybe look at The Vaunting (which I find harder than this tune). The pattern of descending notes? If so, maybe look at Lament for Alasdair Dearg (definitely easier). Is it the alternation of a variation that plays up to high A, followed by a variation that plays down to low A? If so, maybe look at The Desperate Battle.

By the way, if you're looking for a tune with a mach movements, Norman Gillies taught MacGregor's Salute with a crunluath a mach variation, and with taorluath a mach "optional".

Pppiper 01-13-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Knox (Post 1309660)
To answer a question with a question, can you say what it about this tune that appeals to you? Is it the structure?

Thanks for weighing in. Overall, yes, I think the structure would have something to do with it. MacGregors' Salute to my ear just has this a richly melodic feel to it. Many of the tunes I've heard over the years (and in recent searches) seem nearly incoherent to me ... and again, can't stress this enough: I'm not saying such tunes are bad ... they just don't seem to speak to me. And by that rationale, MacGregors' Salute sings to me.

So yes, I think the structure, and the way it's expressed as a lot to do with it ... right from the first Urlar, it wistfully reaches outward from the base (low A), and gently descends back down before reaching outward again and again. As you say, the pattern of descending notes.

I will look into these suggestions ... thanks so much for your thoughts and input.

Cheers!

Pppiper 01-13-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Knox (Post 1309660)
By the way, if you're looking for a tune with a mach movements, Norman Gillies taught MacGregor's Salute with a crunluath a mach variation, and with taorluath a mach "optional".

Yes, I've found it interesting that the presence of the Taorluath a Mach (TaM) with the tune is rather inconsistent. I later purchased the tune from Lee&Sons as well, and I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard the TaM played. I'd been listening to Jim McGillivray's playing of it near-religiously over the whole month prior, so it was a big surprise to me.

Shawn Husk 01-13-2017 01:40 PM

MacGregor's Salute was one of my first piobaireachd and still a favorite, since then my tastes have grown and I enjoy a much wider variety.

My advice to you would be to purchase as many CD's or recordings of piobaireachd as you can and listen to find what appeals to you.

Another great wee tune that really grabbed me, and might you also, is Clan Campbell's Gathering.

Pppiper 01-13-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Husk (Post 1309665)
MacGregor's Salute was one of my first piobaireachd and still a favorite, since then my tastes have grown and I enjoy a much wider variety.

My advice to you would be to purchase as many CD's or recordings of piobaireachd as you can and listen to find what appeals to you.

Another great wee tune that really grabbed me, and might you also, is Clan Campbell's Gathering.

Good to know, thanks for sharing Shawn.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CelticHiker 01-13-2017 03:34 PM

Another way to increase your listening samples, and without emptying your wallet on CD's you may never listen to again, would be to purchase a Piobaireachd Society membership. They have a fairly extensive archive of recordings in the members only section (I think they have some available to everyone as well), and you could easily spend days just randomly browsing through the site.

You can find the site here: http://www.piobaireachd.co.uk

Pppiper 01-13-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticHiker (Post 1309670)
Another way to increase your listening samples, and without emptying your wallet on CD's you may never listen to again, would be to purchase a Piobaireachd Society membership. They have a fairly extensive archive of recordings in the members only section (I think they have some available to everyone as well), and you could easily spend days just randomly browsing through the site.

You can find the site here: http://www.piobaireachd.co.uk

Thank you very much!

bwbees0 01-13-2017 05:51 PM

Hi,

There is also the Tobar an Dualchais site. Just search for tunes and such. This is a treasure trove of recordings.

Cheers,

Ben

Pppiper 01-13-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwbees0 (Post 1309674)
Hi,

There is also the Tobar an Dualchais site. Just search for tunes and such. This is a treasure trove of recordings.

Cheers,

Ben

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk