Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=356)
-   -   High B and C natural suggestions? (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167093)

Lochie 09-12-2018 06:19 PM

High B and C natural suggestions?

Hi folks,
I recently purchased a very lovely set of Kinnear smallpipes in the key of C, which completed my sets of A and D.
The bonus is they came with a chanter keyed for C nat and high D. I'm from the GHB community originally, and no stranger to the difference between the 2 instruments, and a member of the LBPS.
So my question is, what tunes do you suggest I use to help me transition to the use of said keys ?
Slow airs a bonus as I fathom the new handiwork...and popular session tunes an added bonus....
Thanks in advance,
Lochie...
The keyed up piper.

aphillips 09-12-2018 11:24 PM

Re: High B and C nat suggestions ?

There are plenty of tunes in Matt Seattle's book - Geordie Sym's Paircel of Tunes!

Klondike Waldo 09-13-2018 04:18 AM

I'm a bit confused- did you mean a key for C natural and high B in bagpipe notation? That would be E flat and High D in concert notation. If that's the case, there are many tunes that use one or the other. The C natural would open up a number of tunes in the minor key (Am) to play with drones in the correct pitch for a change.

The first tune I learned with a high B was "The Lark In The Clear Air" which I picked up from the playing of Gordon Mooney.

I wholeheartedly agree with aphillips' suggestion.

Lochie 09-13-2018 05:50 AM

Sorry, yes...I meant high B...
In GHB terminology....
I appreciate the suggestions so far.

Kevin 09-13-2018 03:08 PM

Re: High B and C natural suggestions?

Off the top of my head, Brenda Stubbert's reel and The Thatcher both use E-flat (C-nat), What would you do with a Drunken Sailor as well.

Come By The Hills is a nice air that uses high D (high B).

Have fun,
Kevin

Patrick McLaurin 09-13-2018 03:29 PM

MacArthur Road, if you can find a setting in A mixolydian, has 1 high B in the second part that makes the whole part work. Great reel. Iíve been trying to figure out the best alternative for limited pipes for a month now.

Klondike Waldo 09-14-2018 05:26 AM

Lots of tunes we pipers play have a high B when sung or played on other instruments-
Ye Banks and Braes Of Bonny Doon, Will Ye Go To Flanders/The Harp That Once through Tara's Halls, Auld Lang Syne, God Bless America are just a few, off the top of my head. There are a bunch of others I play, but they also have a high G# ( They're in A major).

CalumII 09-14-2018 05:29 AM

I think the best solution to MacArthur Road is to take those initial phrases down a bit: fA ~A2 fAgA | fAgd | e2 ef edBd etc. Or if playing with others, just play the low B and let someone else take care of the high note; it'll still work.

Patrick McLaurin 09-14-2018 05:58 AM

Pikeman’s march, the non-ghb version though still A dorian, has a C nat. You could also play the most common An Dro in NOT B minor, but down 2 semitones in A minor, thus also utilizing the C nat; yes I realize the B minor against A drones is idiomatic but it’s starting to drive me nuts. Thus it would be:

ABcB Ae etc.

Instead of:

Bc#dc# Bf etc.

Having just tried it, do a google search of “Ador site:thesession.org” and it will come up with a bunch of tunes that utilize the C nat, preserve the F#, but still end on the tonic A for consonace with the drones. A lot will be outside the scale even with the high B but if you rummage around long enough you’ll find some good tunes.

Lochie 09-14-2018 06:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your help, I now have lots to work with.
Cheers