Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (DIY) (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=355)
-   -   Crack repair, pin or whip? (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137334)

milwiron 03-31-2011 07:45 AM

Crack repair, pin or whip?

I've read about invisible whipping being used as a method of crack repair. The actual whipping being hidden under a built up and re-combed area.
Any opinions on what's better, pinning through a crack or whipping?
It seems like using a kevlar thread to do the whip would probably have a similar tensile strength to a couple of stainless pins.

pipesofdoom 03-31-2011 12:34 PM

Re: Crack repair, pin or whip?

Quote:

Originally Posted by milwiron.dd (Post 1146663)
I've read about invisible whipping being used as a method of crack repair. The actual whipping being hidden under a built up and re-combed area.
Any opinions on what's better, pinning through a crack or whipping?
It seems like using a kevlar thread to do the whip would probably have a similar tensile strength to a couple of stainless pins.

It very much depends where the crack is: on "pressure" bearing part or not? Whipping would be better, but it's more invasive and might not be required in all cases.

Klondike Waldo 03-31-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipesofdoom (Post 1146718)
It very much depends where the crack is: on "pressure" bearing part or not? Whipping would be better, but it's more invasive and might not be required in all cases.

Wouldn't pinning be more invasive?

celticmanone 03-31-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo (Post 1146734)
Wouldn't pinning be more invasive?

I "wood" think so.

Ray Main 03-31-2011 06:06 PM

Hmmm.. good question.. I've got a tenor stock that needs fixin.

I'd rather not have it pinned .. unless maybe with stainless pins ? I know steel and iron start to expand if they corrode... making things worse.

pipesofdoom 03-31-2011 07:27 PM

Sorry my bad, i totally overlooked the "pin" reference in your post and thought you were asking about repair and whipping generally. Pinning should be avoided, there are other better ways.

STEF C 04-01-2011 09:50 AM

I had the whipping done on 2 pieces on my old set of pipes.

even if the pipes are over 150 years old, the old cracks in the wood , never re opened.
the whipping kept the pieces in good shape.
And i don t think its only luck.
the techniques works great, for my kind of repair.

The good thing about whipping is it can be done many times if the thread get damaged or breaks.
Hope it helps.

Contact Tom Doucet, he did a great job on my set. + he is a reliable guy to deal and talk too.
link : thomaspipework.com
Cheers
Stef:thumb:

Pipecraze 04-21-2011 09:38 PM

Can anyone shed some light on exactly how whipping is done. What kind of material is used for this process?

Kirby Allen 04-21-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipecraze (Post 1149481)
Can anyone shed some light on exactly how whipping is done. What kind of material is used for this process?

IIRC whipping is done by removing some of the wood around the crack, wrapping it with thing string and refilling the crack with blackwood dust and glue, then recombing the crack so it blends with the rest of the wood.

http://www.piping.on.ca/browseproducts.asp?catID=146

There's a description of how it's done on that page.

milwiron 04-22-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipecraze (Post 1149481)

Ditto, I'm curious about the glue used. Cyanoacrylates/super glue stick the best to blackwood. But mixing sawdust in to super glue before it cures must be a frantic race against time. Maybe a really slow gell cyanoacrylate?