Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners, Intermediate, + (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346)
-   -   Tightening new reeds in practice chanter (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167217)

mmatisoff 10-11-2018 05:01 PM

Tightening new reeds in practice chanter

I just purchased two reeds for my dunbar practice chanter. I really like both. The Abedour reed has a low, warm sound, and the Walsh has a crisp, bright sound. Just one problem with both. Both are loose in the chanter seat. I rewound the hemp on the Walsh, but it's still a little loose. Will adding more hemp to the bottom third of the staple help?

The Abedour is the real problem. It doesn't have hemp on the staple. It has a plastic "hub." The hub is too loose in the seat and just falls out. Can I add hemp to the hub? Thanks

el gaitero 10-11-2018 05:23 PM

Re: Tightening new reeds in practice chanter

[QUOTE=mmatisoff;1331843]I j

. Can I add hemp to the hub? Thanks[

/QUOTE]
Did you try this? What happened.?

Green Piper 10-11-2018 05:23 PM

Add some waxed hemp.

mmatisoff 10-12-2018 06:06 AM

I haven't tried new hemp on the Walsh. I will do that. Can I add hemp to the Abedour, too?

el gaitero 10-12-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmatisoff (Post 1331855)
I haven't tried new hemp on the Walsh. I will do that. Can I add hemp to the Abedour, too?

With Any reed.... To adjust its height ( sharper or flatter) and ensure itís secure ,..not wobbly,..and not leaking air past the seat.

Your instructor should show you how to do this properly

Adam Sanderson 10-12-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

All practice chanter reeds need to be hemped, the placing of the hemp allows you to set the scale of your practice chanter in accordance with its height, as well as providing a seal against air. Setting the scale by adjusting the hemp is one of the very first things your teacher should be showing you, on your very first day, way before learning to play tunes or scales. If your PC reed is not hemped and set properly, you have no chance of playing in tune. It's through hemping and setting our PC reeds that we learn how to hemp and set our pipe chanter reeds. You do have a proper teacher, aye?

I've looked all over the internet for "Abedour" practice chanters reeds, can't find any references, I have found some for Aberdour pipe chanter reeds, (which, if I remember correctly, were made by Duncan Soutar), but none (so far) for practice chanter reeds, so I'm not sure what you mean by a plastic "hub", so, again, ask your teacher.

Walsh practice chanter reeds are usually excellent, robust tone, easy to set, have used several in my Naill PC, a few strands of hemp, set the scale from A to a', and you should be away.

Pip01 10-12-2018 10:57 AM

mmatisoff,

If I may... I have found that waxing the hemp helps
to secure it to the reed... and in the seat.

Wishing you the Best of Good Fortune with yours,

Pip01

jackhawkpiper97 10-14-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Yes, to answer your question directly.

If I am correct, abedour practice chanter reeds have a little bit of shrink tube on the end to act like hemp might. https://www.atlantakilts.com/store/a...SABEgI2I_D_BwE
The issue with this, and it's much the same for drone reeds that do this, is it's a one-size-fits-all approach and kind of leads to a one-size-fits-none-well end product. You can either carefully add some waxed hemp to the end, or take a sharp xacto blade and slowly take the extra shrink wrap off.

If it were me, I would just add hemp and not bother with it. This isn't a time where visuals are going to be affecting the end product.

Jack

mmatisoff 10-16-2018 01:18 PM

Thanks everyone. I purchased some waxed hemp. It worked great.

el gaitero 10-16-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmatisoff (Post 1331938)
Thanks everyone. I purchased some waxed hemp. It worked great.

If you let your pc dry ( too much) between practices and the reed loosens up....just carefully lift it out...give the hemp a good slobbering lick,,,,and set it back in snug to where it was after counting to 10.