Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=353)
-   -   Do any recordings of G.S. McLennan exist? (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118492)

scotchboiler 10-06-2008 08:21 PM

Do any recordings of G.S. McLennan exist?

I was wondering if any recordings of him are still extant. Were any ever known to have been made, for that matter? Presumably, they would be on wax cylinders, or 78's.

Kristopher Watt 10-06-2008 08:40 PM

Re: Do any recordings of G.S. McLennan exist?

Scotchboiler,

According to the book "Pipers", by William Donaldson....

"G.S. McLennan never made recordings, and he did not broadcast. He lived in an age before television and media hype."

It is a very worth while read.

Regards,

Kris

Jim McGillivray 10-07-2008 05:09 AM

G.S.'s half brother, D. R. MacLennan, claimed their were some recordings made in the early 1900s. He even knew where they were supposed to be -- perhaps a library in Edinburgh if I recall correctly -- but the recordings were never found there and have never surfaced.
JM

Andrew Lenz 10-07-2008 08:36 AM

If it's like my house, his wife probably stuck them in box labeled "bagpipe stuff" and hid them in the garage never to be seen again . . . it took me 8 years to find my grandfather's glengarry . . .
:shrug:

Andrew

classicbagpipes 10-07-2008 09:27 AM

Jim is correct. In the book just out from the Cop, I think the title is Masters of Piping, started by Seamus MacNeil and recently completed by Jeannie Campbell. DR MacLennan said that there were indeed some recordings that were made of GS. It seems they were given to someone for safekeeping during WWII and afterwards they disappeared.
They would certainly be a treasure trove if they were to resurface after all of these years.

Kristopher Watt 10-07-2008 03:51 PM

I stand corrected.

IdahoPiper 10-07-2008 10:13 PM

Knowing my luck, there were some in the boxes of friend's Grandfather's old bagpipe music collection, which are in a landfill now . . . . see message #492864. Sorry, but the thought of the conversation is still giving me a facial tick.

Andrew Lenz 10-07-2008 10:30 PM

Here's a link to IdahoPiper's post.

My response to that story: "Ouch" or "Better to not have known and lost . . ."

It's the cylinder part that kills me! Likely archive material there. Damn.

Andrew

IdahoPiper 10-08-2008 07:47 AM

Either the College of Piping's Museum or the National Piping Centre and Museum would have gotten a nice donation from the "Wild West" in America . . . such is life. I am going to send an email to my friend today because I forgot to ask "Did anyone in your family keep anything that was bagpipe related?" I know that they kept their clan stuff (they are Stewarts), so there might have been something of bagpipe historical interest mixed in with it. Here's to hoping . . . .

classicbagpipes 10-12-2008 08:51 AM

I just found the copy of the PT that talks of the recordings of GS.
According to his brother DR. He says they were made in 1894 or 95 when GS was a lad of eleven.

DR got them from another brother John who owned a pub in Edinburgh. DR at the time the PM of the Seaforths, was able to get a machine to let his band hear the recordings. This was in 1938 and DR was being sent abroad with the regiment. He returned them to the brother John for safe keeping, but then the war intervened. It was ten years later that George Stoddart told DR that the recordings had been found in a cubby hole in the basement of the pub where they were put for safe keeping during the war.
DR collected them and put them in the Museum in Chambers St. Edinburgh. But they have since disappeared from there, as is mentioned in the article after DR's letter that a recent search of the museum have not turned up the recordings, according to Hugh Cheape.
It is interesting to note that DR says in his letter that he said the he himself a full fledged PM of a regiment couldn't have surpassed the playing of an eleven year old on these recordings.
This last statement by DR seems to say it all about GS's playing.