Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Related (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=357)
-   -   CD review Forum? (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81484)

Bob 07-07-2004 05:35 PM

CD review Forum?

How about a forum where we post personal reviews of piping related CDs?

People could also start a thread to publicise their new CD (I get requests surprising often from folks wanting to publicise their new CD - this could help too)

My thought is one CD per thread, and any of us could add to the CD's thread when we wanted to contribute our thoughts on the specific CD. Over time it could be a pretty interesting and helpful guide ...

If you're thinking of buying a CD, with luck we'd have a thread where people had given their views.. Of course we would want to 'do no harm', but I don't think that should really be a problem.

Scott McClellan 07-09-2004 07:00 AM

Re: CD review Forum?

I think this is a great idea!

Javier 07-09-2004 10:48 AM

As the guy who recently posted a thread asking for this very info, I love the idea! I've ordered 3 CDs from Piper's Hut (I let them know I found them through the forum) based on the recommendations in that thread.

Monique Ros 07-10-2004 01:54 AM

Love the idea. We already have an extensive collection, but are still looking to add more. And then it is always good to hear others opinions.

Go for it!

Monique

Christopher 07-11-2004 08:12 PM

That is a great idea!

Eric M 07-13-2004 11:44 PM

Will folks get slapped down for posting negative reviews? In most of the other forums there is strong peer pressure against criticizing specific people/organizations/bands/vendors/products.

I would recommend specifying boundaries and defining a few "best practices" like not giving one-liner judgements, always explaining why you liked or didn't like a particular track or CD, avoiding critiquing someone elses critique... if they must comment, then explain why they disagree instead of just declaring the other person crazy. Music reviews are always subjective, and each person has their own criteria for evaluating what they hear.

Eric

Bob 07-14-2004 09:46 AM

Excellent points Eric,

This (negative comments) is the one area of greatest concern for me on this CD Review idea, and I think your suggestion is excellent:
Quote:

not giving one-liner judgments, always explaining why you liked or didn't like a particular track or CD, avoiding critiquing someone Else's critique... if they must comment, then explain why they disagree instead of just declaring the other person crazy.
Thanks!

Eric M 07-15-2004 10:42 PM

One more thought.... I think folks should be allowed to post negative comments. That's why I worded the suggestion the way I did. If we could only post positive reviews, then it would be hard to build a sense of relative merit between recordings and it would get boring real quick. Wine clubs have similar considerations when they do a wine tasting... they typically prefer to have a range of quality instead of all outstanding wines, in order to broaden the scope of discussion.

Eric

Javier 07-16-2004 08:40 AM

Is there a way for UBBS to do a rating system? We could give 1-5 bagpipes to a CD as a rating, then explain why we felt it deserved this rating. Hey, maybe we can give 1-5 dancing bananas?
I agree that this forum would have to be closely monitored against flaming and "worthless" reviews. I think reviews can still be kept positive while discussing relative merit.

Positive: :banana: :banana: :banana: The audio quality suffered a bit on this live recording, and several missed notes on the first track reduced my enjoyment. The second track, while enjoyable, did not match the sterling rendition given by the 78th frasers in "Live In Ireland."

Negative: 3/5 pipes. This CD sounded like crap and I hated the first track. 78th Frasers are better.

This goes right along with Eric's comments. I'd also like to see relative comparisons between CDs. I felt that the discussion where I asked for "the top three CDs you'd buy" here was very positive, so I know the forum members can handle this.
On a side note, I've convinced my pipe band to start a lending library. I'm planning to get input (and donations) from the members for what to put in it. So this forum would be of particular interest to me.

Eric M 07-17-2004 01:19 PM

Javier,

I'm wondering if we mean different things by the terms "positive" and "negative". I'm using the terms to mean....
positive = "I liked it"
negative = "I didn't like it"

I personally would use the terms "constructive" and "destructive" for your two examples. I agree that the first example would be more useful to me.

Eric