Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Related (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=357)
-   -   Sharing videos? (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81565)

Bob 09-11-2005 04:11 PM

Sharing videos?

I have done a bit of research into this, since so many people express an interest.

The idea is simply to have a forum in which to share links to piping related videos, and of course to discuss.

The main concern is of course that you'd have to have permission to share the video (to record and share), and you'd be responsible for ensuring there was no copyright 'issue'. If there was any concern about copyright(s) we'd have to remove the link.

So - what do you think? Add this as a second subject area to the existing "photo gallery" forum, or a new forum, or ?? forget it..

:hatoff:

Jim Fogelman 09-11-2005 05:10 PM

Re: Sharing videos?

I think it's a good idea.

One idea is to make a whole section (like the General Discussion, Great Highland Bagpipe, Drumming, etc.) and call it Media. In that section could be Pictures, Movies, (and maybe some sort of Audio?).

Just my $.02.

Colonel644 09-12-2005 07:12 AM

I think that's a great Idea Bob!!!! The photo gallery area would be perfect!!!!

Now video,,, I can only imagine what will be posted :lol:

Jim Fogelman 09-13-2005 10:16 PM

Scott...I can see the wheels in your head turning...no good can come from a Drum Major that thinks.

I'm just kidding, I tried out for DM myself and even did a few competitions. I just didn't do good is all.

arash 09-15-2005 08:36 AM

I think it's a great idea. Maybe we could encourage people to submit videos of themselves playing or videos of their bands playing. For example, it could help to see a video of someone playing natural C and F.

-A

Andrew F 09-15-2005 08:58 AM

I think it is a great idea!

Eric M 09-15-2005 08:09 PM

Here's a bucket a cold water... but it needs to be said/discussed.

Dealing with the copyright issue is going to be hard. Are folks who post links to recordings of competitions or beer tent performances going to have to get signed releases from the performers? and pay royalties on the copyrighted tunes?

Will simply questioning the legitimacy be enough to have the link removed?

Will there be an arbitration system to defend against nit-pickers?

I'm sort of going overboard there. But the core question is how rigorous is the enforcement going to be? Will voluntary removal of media that receive complaints be enough to prevent wholesale removal of links to web pages containing media?

I'm asking these sorts of questions because of a set of videos that I recently posted. Since they were all performed in public and aren't high resolution (and thus shouldn't hurt any sales of licenced CDs or DVDs), it doesn't seem likely that anyone will complain about them. All the comments I have received so far have been positive. But on the other hand in a forum of this size it's probably only a matter of time before someone complains.

Technically I don't have any signed releases from the performers, nor permission from the event promoters. I have no intent of selling the videos, so I ignored that. As for the copyrights, I'm riding the coattails of the bands (have any of them paid public performance rights to the tunes they are playing?). I certainly don't have the time to track down and pay for all the licenses to the copyrighted tunes. If I start down that path, then I would have to start charging download fees to recover my costs. Or turn it into a commercial DVD project.

This is just a hobby, and the practical reality is that at the first hint of trouble, I would choose to close down my video page.

One other comment about copyrights. If we limit the links to only point to cleared/licensed media, then there won't be many links to performances of actual tunes, except for the golden oldies. That would probably cut the number of posts down quite a bit. In the end, it may not be worth setting up a separate forum.

Another consideration... many similar issues apply to the PPOD. But there are differences in the way that still images, video images, and audio recordings are treated under the law.

Eric

P.S. I am pro-copyright protection for printed music, and commercial recordings of performances. In the case of my videos, I'm hoping that everyone involved considers them free advertising. If those Games had put out a commercial video of their pipeband competition, then I wouldn't have posted mine.

Eric M 09-15-2005 08:16 PM

Now a few positive comments... From the feedback I've been getting on my Pleasanton videos, folks would like to see more of this kind of thing. I've only seen a couple of other folks posting videos or sound files, so there may not be much activity at first. But we've started a couple of other forums that way, and they've built up over time.

Eric

arash 09-16-2005 08:34 AM

You bring up several great points Eric. I think it's important to distinguish between two things:

1. Posting external links to videos
2. Posting internal links to videos

What I mean by external would be links that already exist. Like you were saying Eric, more of the "golden oldies" type of stuff. For example, here is a link to Slainte Mhath's new video "Annie":

A link to their video, which is awesome by the way

An internal link would be something that you are probably linking to that exists on someone's personal Web space, or on bobdunsire.com if space is made available.

In the first case, it probably isn't a problem.

In the second case, I argue it still isn't a problem. The liability is not on the person who posts the link, but is hosting the video. Freely distributing links has never been a problem or a crime, from what I understand about the Internet. Hosting an illegal video or problematic video is.

Quote:

This is just a hobby, and the practical reality is that at the first hint of trouble, I would choose to close down my video page.
I agree with this sentiment. I like to err on the side of hosting it, and taking it down if anyone has a problem.

Either way, whoever is hosting the video is dealing with bandwidth, monthly cost and server issues anyways. You would hope they got the right permissions.

Again, I think the issues you brought up are valid and that we should discuss them.

My 2 cents. I'm expecting Andrew to chime in any second now :)

-A

p.s. I tend to err on the other side of the copyright spectrum. Part of this comes from my work in open source and non profits, but some of it is also coming from the fact that I think the musak industry is headed this way. With .mp3 technology, more and more bands are making some of their songs available for free, and the rest for a reasonable cost. This puts the emphasis back on touring, concerts and shows as opposed to producing albums.

arash 09-21-2005 11:28 AM

Speaking of sharing videos, what type of bagpype is Cristina Pato playing in this video? All I see is one humongo drone. I thought there was something funny about the chanter, but I think that's a microphone:

Cristina Pato Reel (5.9 megs)

Right click and choose "save target as" since it is so large.