Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Side / Snare (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=351)
-   -   Learning online for drumming noobs (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167579)

Shantyboat 12-23-2018 09:40 AM

Learning online for drumming noobs

I'm a total newbie. For others like me I am going to report on the path I will be taking... group lessons with online instruction from https://www.rhythm-monster.com

Why the online lessons? I am very motivated to progress quickly and am willing to practice many hours per week. My plan is to learn some fundamentals online and get reality checks from the in-person lessons.

Yes, I can think of problems with this path. Feel free to share them for future noobs below, but I am going to go this way.

Quick background. I am a classically trained French horn player. I collect unusual instruments and play the basics on a few of them, from Surbahar to Sheng, to Cristal Baschet.

I am not paid by them, I simply want to document my progress, good or bad. In part, it is an obsession of mine, and I hope it will be useful to others. If I like this path, I'll share. If I don't, I will share.

Background:

You can subscribe month to month on Rhythm Monster, so unlike the big options for pipers, you don't have to plunk down a wad of cash to start. I haven't explored the full options yet, but they claim they have material for beginners to experts. Snare, Tenor and Bass drums. There is a free sample membership.

Progress so far:

I've gone down two lesson tracks.

Scottish Pipe Band Snare Drum Tutor Volume 1: Physical Fundamentals, which in the first two lessons has covered some basics such as stance and proper grip. The first of the video lessons is 45 minutes, the next 25 minutes. It is supplemented with text, links to more, and timestamps for the video. There is also an exercise provided.

Music Theory Tutor for Drummers Volume 1: Notation Foundation. I'm skipping through some of this, as it is really starting at the beginning. Key signature, Time signature, etc. I'm well versed in that, but am spot checking to make sure I am not missing anything that applies particularly to drumming. Some of it does.

I've practiced a couple of hours in the first day alone... but that is me all over.

Verdict so far:

The videos are VERY thorough... from my perspective. I'd love more lingering close-ups for the hand positions done from multiple views, but they do multiple camera views. My Chromebook laptop is small, so that may be the issue for me. I've run out of space... so will report more later.

Shantyboat 12-23-2018 11:20 AM

Re: Learning online for noobs

Supplies purchased:

KP2 Sticks
Outlander Model OLS-VMBL 9.0 inch Pad
MBT Stick Bag

purchased from The Piper's Hut https://www.thepipershut.com/

They were great at getting these to me very quickly.

CalumII 12-23-2018 01:17 PM

Re: Learning online for noobs

> Music Theory Tutor for Drummers Volume 1: Notation Foundation

One minor thing which they probably don't mention here is that very often dot/cut sequences - say a dotted sixteenth plus a 32nd note - are actually played in compound time (and sometimes they're not). Keep an ear open for them - you'll find it quite obvious, but easy to doubt yourself if you don't know.

Shantyboat 12-23-2018 03:04 PM

Re: Learning online for drumming noobs

OK.. thanks for that heads up. Honestly, as a French horn player in an orchestra, I had to look some of that up so it made sense! Like a triplet, we'd say. ;-) I'm glad you mentioned that. It's a different world. I'll keep an open eye. Thanks!

Shantyboat 12-23-2018 03:43 PM

Another note... I like a challenge. I am finding there is far more going on in this "drumming thing" than I ever knew. ;-) IE: Velocity vs Weight. Moeller approach.

3D Piper 12-24-2018 07:33 AM

Great attitude!
Are you getting any in-person lessons? My snares work with someone over skype and it really helps, but the video lesson sometimes miss things that would be picked up in person.
Remember: constant correct repetition is the key (for any instrument!)

-Matthew

Shantyboat 12-24-2018 08:37 AM

Thanks, Matthew. I start group lessons on January 16th. I'm looking forward to those!

Shantyboat 01-03-2019 11:48 AM

Still enjoying my online lessons. Making progress, though it stalls out a bit now and then. Not much traffic or other comments here, so won't post much more.

Leong 01-03-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantyboat (Post 1333717)
...I start group lessons on January 16th. I'm looking forward to those!

Are these on Rhythm Monster too?
Do keep up the updates if you can - they are useful insights!

Elizur Wright 01-08-2019 10:01 AM

Please keep the updates coming!

I'm considering signing up for Rhythm Monster lessons. I'm a piper looking to build some drumming "street cred" by learning the snare. Figure it can't hurt to try new things (or can it?).