Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Instrument (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=345)
-   -   Heat threshold for ABW Pipes? (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167991)

salmunmousavi 03-13-2019 02:09 PM

Heat threshold for ABW Pipes?

I have a set of Dunbars in my crosshairs, and they’re gonna be my first Blackwood set. I have had a set of McCallum Acetyl Pipes up to this point, and have really loved the durability they’ve offered. I’ve played them in 100° heat and in -10° cold.

Just wondering if there is a general rule for how hot or how cold to allow Blackwood to get before it warps/cracks. What does that temperature scale look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klondike Waldo 03-13-2019 02:14 PM

Re: Heat threshold for ABW Pipes?

I have played my ABW pipes (1979 G&M) as hot as 105˚F and as low as -2˚F. No cracks.

BaggyMcPipes 03-13-2019 03:25 PM

I've been on some Booth ABWs for 15 years now, and I bought them used. I've had them in temperatures over 100 and below freezing, no cracks yet, (knock on blackwood,) but I do recommend you get some oil and get comfortable oiling them regularly. Depending on where you live there might be a different recommendation, but I usually give mine a good soak about once every 8-10 months.

Enjoy them, I'm excited for you!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

magsevenband 03-13-2019 04:44 PM

You're tempting fate if you continue to play ABW in those extreme conditions..get a set of plastics as the OP did..friendly advice.

Pip01 03-13-2019 05:22 PM

Ah... the pipers... will most generally... fall to the the deck...
before the ABW pipes... go south on you... :)

I've played my 1917 Lawries... in 110 F degrees... but... I
was not... standing in direct sunlight.

Go as easy as you can with them... and... if they are
properly maintained... you should be able to go most
anywhere... and any time... :)

Green Piper 03-13-2019 06:25 PM

I have played my ABW’s in pretty extreme heat: 110F.

They were fine.

I suspect that the key to success in extreme conditions is to keep the bores oiled as it’ll make them more resistant to changes in moisture. Added to that is ensuring that hemping is not to tight.

Klondike Waldo 03-13-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magsevenband (Post 1335647)
You're tempting fate if you continue to play ABW in those extreme conditions..get a set of plastics as the OP did..friendly advice.

OK, but I've been tempting fate pretty regularly for 40 years, so I'll keep with it.
:shrug:

Kevin 03-13-2019 07:57 PM

I think the rate of change of temperature is more important that the actual temperature (within reason). I swab out my pipes then put them in the case before moving to a hotter or colder environment. I then leave them in the case for as long as possible (several hours if possible) to warm or cool slowly to the new temperature.

I hope this helps,
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

William McKenzie 03-14-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 1335651)
I think the rate of change of temperature is more important that the actual temperature (within reason). I swab out my pipes then put them in the case before moving to a hotter or colder environment. I then leave them in the case for as long as possible (several hours if possible) to warm or cool slowly to the new temperature.

I hope this helps,
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I'm not a prolific outdoor player but having played in snow as much as scorching heat I'd agree with this. No rapid changes plus good care (swabbing after playing etc).

el gaitero 03-14-2019 06:26 PM

355F. No worries if lower...