Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=376)
-   -   Feather Bonnet Size (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167036)

pipermm 08-31-2018 10:21 AM

Feather Bonnet Size

Can anyone tell me how tall a feather bonnet usually is?

Fyrtamer 08-31-2018 11:12 PM

Re: Feather Bonnet Size

Too???:woot::woot:

Sorry, think they look cool, but can't imagine trying to play in one, I sweat bad enough playing as is!

CalumII 09-01-2018 04:07 AM

But it's the most perfect head-dress in the British Army, perfectly ventilated and cool!

Greenpipe 09-01-2018 09:47 AM

The one's I've worn have a slit in the side so in a wind, or any other time, a cold canned beer can be inserted for ballast.

piper Q 09-01-2018 02:41 PM

This thread could be, and maybe should be hijacked, into a 'What head wear is abhorrent when piping' thread of discussions.

Whilst a feather bonnet may look imposing, awesome,and cool, is it really a practical item? Same can be said for a small FD P&D band I was with.While a traditional style U.S. Fire Helmet may look cool, there is nothing more annoying than when it and the bass drone want to occupy the same space at the same time.

Glens, Balmorals, and Tams!

Cheers and have on about feather bonnets. :thumb:

Fyrtamer 09-02-2018 05:16 PM

I would love to be supportive... They really are impressive looking, but, I mean, come on... You will have to spend $100 just for a carrier for it, after you drop $400 on the bonnet. Just, NO!

I am FD, and never even gave a thought to wearing a helmet... Yikes! I even take my badge off of my shirt, cuz I don't wanna be scratching up my drones.

Balmorals and Tams, well, I suppose if you want to be misidentified as French for wearing a beret.

Glen, or no cover at all really should be the only choices, amiright?

Well, maybe a driving hat for the informal performances... Just my thoughts...

Pip01 09-22-2018 02:14 PM

Ahem!! Cough!! Splutter!!...

To return to pippermm's original inquiry... as
Time... has come... and gone... any answers?

CelticHiker 09-22-2018 08:54 PM

Feather Bonnet Size

Well, I donít know if this is representative of most, but I just measured the one I have sitting in a box in the closet, and itís about 11 inches from the bottom of the head band to the top of the mesh frame. Then the feathers stick up above that about 2 inches when they are all fluffed up.

Hope that helps?

CalumII 09-23-2018 08:28 AM

Mine is 11" not including fluff, and 14" including.

Loud-one 09-23-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenpipe (Post 1330739)
The one's I've worn have a slit in the side so in a wind, or any other time, a cold canned beer can be inserted for ballast.

Sounds like the voice of experience!