Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Instrument (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=345)
-   -   Practice Chanter Reeds-no fuss (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166799)

plainspiper 07-15-2018 09:49 AM

Practice Chanter Reeds-no fuss

What is the groups recommendation for a practice chanter reed for teens that is a no fuss/no mess/hard to destroy chanter reed? We arent wanting to get super duper reeds at this point due to money but the kids have worn out their reeds already or they've messed with them trying to see how things work to the point they've bent some of them (you know how teens can be?) Let me know what you think.

DamhCabrachPiping 07-15-2018 09:56 AM

Re: Practice Chanter Reeds-no fuss

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainspiper (Post 1329191)
What is the groups recommendation for a practice chanter reed for teens that is a no fuss/no mess/hard to destroy chanter reed? We arent wanting to get super duper reeds at this point due to money but the kids have worn out their reeds already or they've messed with them trying to see how things work to the point they've bent some of them (you know how teens can be?) Let me know what you think.

G1 platinum reeds are typically very vibrant and generally plug and play.

That being said they’ll likely try the same things with any Reed you put in front of them.

Perhaps have them join the forums and ask questions about reed and music theory. There’s a lot of really smart players here, not me, but some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el gaitero 07-15-2018 10:00 AM

Walsh reeds ( with a dental elastic) Q reeds, Hagen reeds...whichever...but have the kiddies each get 3 ...and pay for them to learn to appreciate for themselves how to not abuse them.

piper_hm 07-15-2018 10:35 AM

Husk and Walsh practice chanter reeds are great.

will103 07-15-2018 11:53 AM

Tru-tone practice chanter reeds? Robust and beautiful sound. Will

Mac an t-Sealgair 07-15-2018 01:05 PM

honestly I wasn't bowled over by the G1 practice chanter reeds.

Always find Frazer Warnock chanter reeds superb. Cheap and work.

DamhCabrachPiping 07-15-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair (Post 1329202)
honestly I wasn't bowled over by the G1 practice chanter reeds.

Always find Frazer Warnock chanter reeds superb. Cheap and work.

Yeah I realized after that we were discussing PC reeds not cane lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Jeffers 07-15-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainspiper (Post 1329191)

I like the Abbott practice chanter reeds. You can sand them down to suit the strength needed. I have one that I put more than a decade on.... How many students do you have now?

plainspiper 07-17-2018 10:47 AM

With the new batch of freshmen coming up probably at least one more. So 5 now. We haven't gotten much done this summer with kids going everywhere and baseball for a few of them. Going to attempt to start doing a regular schedule into the school schedule just like a regular music class--we'll see how much support from administration I get on that--hoping.

jbbaldwin 07-19-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Jeffers (Post 1329208)
I like the Abbott practice chanter reeds. You can sand them down to suit the strength needed. I have one that I put more than a decade on.... How many students do you have now?

I like them, too -- good tone, good pitch, and they're robust.