Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent Archive (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=354)
-   -   Dumb things pipers do (or say) (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114075)

Hal Monroe 03-05-2008 10:29 AM

Re: Dumb things pipers do (or say)

Mistakenly shoved my chanter into the blowpipe stock and splintered my favorite reed. (the stock had a water trap insert). I was very upset with myself. In my state of shock and anger I took out my well preserved and ready for any emergency back up reed, placed it very carefully in the chanter and did exactly the same thing. O for 2 and unable to play. I now always put the blowpipe in first and then the chanter.

John S. Foley 03-05-2008 04:14 PM

Boy, I'll have to say... "If you haven't done most of these things at least once or twice, you haven't piped. Glad that I'm in good company.

David Goodman 03-05-2008 04:34 PM

forgot my bagpipes going to a gig.
ha

Oengus 03-05-2008 04:44 PM

Newbie in the band, after being tuned by the PM, put tape on her tuning pins to "mark the spot" so she "would always be in tune". Yikes!

Hump 03-05-2008 06:30 PM

setting up new drone reeds..... I spent 15 hard, cussing minutes making wild adjustments to a bass drone reed only to give up, and move on to the tenors when I noticed that one of the two remaining reeds on the floor was the bass drone reed that I thought I was adjusting!

Denis 03-05-2008 07:03 PM

This one is on the cusp of piper/non-piper. I'm the only color guard carrying the banner on 5th ave in ny. The band strikes up with a nice 6/8 and I am really enjoying myself. Around 57th st a burly genntleman shouts out "Who u wit?". The band is three blocks back!

Bonnie Pedersen 03-05-2008 07:50 PM

A dumb thing pipers do? Put their pipes down on my drum!

pancelticpiper 03-05-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Pedersen
A dumb thing pipers do? Put their pipes down on my drum!

To a piper it's not a "drum", it's a "pipe stand".
As are pianos, parked cars, chairs, tables, hedges, and nearly anything else that's handy.

MacDhughaill 03-06-2008 12:42 AM

I knew someone who drove off with his pipes sitting on the top of his car.

Another fellow left his pipes sitting against the wall at a dance-- and went home. I took his pipes home and called him the next day, he did not yet realize they were missing. (was an alcohol related incident)

Alex Anderson 03-06-2008 07:24 AM

I can't help but notice that the Dumb Things Non-Pipers Say greatly outnumber Dumb Things that Pipers Do (Or Say).

So we can conclude that Pipers are a lot more intelligent than non-pipers. (Do I need to be PC and include drummers, as in "Pipe Band Members" vs "Non Pipe Band Members"?)

Alex