Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent Archive (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=354)
-   -   Dumb things pipers do (or say) (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114075)

James Hopkins 03-06-2008 08:04 AM

Re: Dumb things pipers do (or say)

In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!

Bayoupiper 03-06-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Pedersen
A dumb thing pipers do? Put their pipes down on my drum!

Check the band rulebook!
That's S.O.P.!

Bayoupiper 03-06-2008 08:53 AM

My most memorable to date was the ceiling fan vs bass drone....

Fortunately they were my Crislers so the damage was to the ceiling fan!

phyx 03-06-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAH
In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!

I couldn't agree more! My drones are easily tuned with two fingers only--no need to get all caveman on them...just a slight twist is all it takes...one way goes up, the other way goes down--all directions are the same on all drones. It's not hard to figure out. Luckily, said designated tuner does not tune anymore...and the other one who volunteered, doesn't anymore. :thumb:

I don't have silver, but if I did...I'd feel the same way.

Jim Sloan 03-06-2008 08:58 AM

ceiling fan vs bass drone....

Fortunately they were my Crislers so the damage was to the ceiling fan!
----------------------------------------

Yes!!!
At long last a battle won during the War in the Southern US between ceiling fans and GHB's!

:thumb:

Jim

Piper_06 03-06-2008 01:26 PM

We were comparing chanters, and I put one of mine on back of my black car in the evening. Needless to say I really miss my chanter, it was my first one.

WJH 03-06-2008 05:26 PM

Once I drove 150 miles across the state to perform as guest soloist with a concert band and left my kilt on the bed at home! I did not discover my mistake until 45 minutes before the performance time when I opened my clothes bag to begin getting dressed. Luckily my wife, bless her soul, had discovered my mistake and hired a delivery service to send my kilt. It arrived just in the nick of time! I never asked my wife how much the delivery cost and upon returning home presented her with a dozen roses and much thanks.

John McCain 03-06-2008 06:36 PM

We had an unusual heavy snowfall here in north Texas today. I had to drive about 90 miles in it from a client's site. Much of it was very slow going.

As the Mustang in front of me fish-tailed, swerved, then ran off the highway, my very first thought was, "I really need to put down this practice chanter and quit driving with my knees."

Best, John

classicbagpipes 03-07-2008 05:24 AM

Used to do miles and miles driving with my knees, but never in the snow.

jedburgh 03-07-2008 11:28 AM

I'm not sure if this was dumb or witty.

While playing a combined gig with a brass band, one of their musicians spotted a few filing card sized tunes on the table at which a few of us pipers were sitting. We were asked if they were our music.

A piper quipped "Nope, not our music. We don't use music. We just make it up". Brass band musician accepted the answer.

???