Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent Archive (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=354)
-   -   Dumb things pipers do (or say) (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114075)

Bill Carr 03-04-2008 09:02 PM

Dumb things pipers do (or say)

The "Dumb Things Non Pipers Do" thread gave me an idea... The dumb things pipers do or say! Here are a couple of things I am guilty off in the early days when I was trying learn as much about the pipes as possible but without any firm guidance.

Glued the chanter reed in place with a hot glue gun once I found the right balance.

Stood under a ceiling fan trying to tune drones and could not figure out why the "Wa wa wa" sound jut wouldn't stop.

Was so concentrated on the pipes that I missed the signal to counter march in a parade and kept marching straight ahead when the rest of the band had turned.... :blush:

Put my pipe case on the back of my MC but didn't strap it down properly. On braking hard before a swing I saw the case skate along the road in front of me at about 60 MPH. Lucky no damage to the pipes but the case was wrecked..

Turned up at an important band gig without my blowpipe... P/M not amused!

Bill

TwitchyFingers 03-05-2008 01:27 AM

Re: Dumb things pipers do (or say)

Clunking my bass drone top on low doorways.

Adam Sanderson 03-05-2008 01:37 AM

Packing my pipe case for a trip up to Aberdeenshire, checked all reeds, accessories, etc. Rehemped joints on pipes, checked bag and joints for airtightness, everything rock solid.
Flew to Aberdeen, left kids with my folks, went up foothills of Grampians, found the perfect spot to bla' awa' the cobwebs. Took pipes out of case-----no chanter. :eek:

Realise chanter is 500 miles away lying on my bed. :doh:

Eat sandwiches, drink flask of tea, go back to Aberdeen, buy poly chanter so that the week isn't a complete waste, laugh about it later in pub.

It's something I don't intend to do again.

pancelticpiper 03-05-2008 05:11 AM

1)Forget to take the chanter out after a long playing session, open the case a week later and find out the reed is covered with mould. Nasty.
2)Forget to zip the bag shut after mucking with the MCS, wonder why I can't blow up the pipes.

Sean A. McCartney 03-05-2008 07:23 AM

Just minutes to go before a solo comp, breaking a Naill chanter by holding it in the middle while pulling it out of the stock.

Jim Sloan 03-05-2008 07:29 AM

Tuned the band to my solo chanter.

My band chanter now has yellow safety striping tape on the chanter cap.

:blush:

Jim

jessierose 03-05-2008 08:03 AM

My first lesson in front of my great new teacher, I shoulder my pipes, open my music, and blow...and blow and blow and blow and blow.......
I had unzipped my bag to nuke the drying junk and didn't rezip. I looked like a dummy trying to inflate a bag with a 6 inch hole in it!

Leonardlawrence 03-05-2008 08:29 AM

Preping formy first ever trip n an airplane with my pipes. I am leaving from logan so I know make sure to take out any liquids. Goof off, t-zip grease. Things like that. I go trough the check and they pull me a side. Yup I am the dumb as that left a sraight razor in the case. What a terrible mess.

Ed Grundy 03-05-2008 08:35 AM

I like to make a big honkin blooter in the circle, and just when everyone looks up, I give the newbie next to me a dirty look.

I've wondered why my chanter wasn't making noise and forgot i left the piper pal stopper up the chanter.

A stinky fart just as the tone guy comes to do my drones is always good for a laugh too.

LisaB 03-05-2008 09:22 AM

Announced to the judge (whom I greatly admired and was nervous as heck to play in front of) that I was going to play "High Road to Gairloch" and then proceeded to happily play "Liberton Pipe Band". :doh:

I didn't even have the consolation of the tunes being somewhat similar. :rolleyes:

Hal Monroe 03-05-2008 10:29 AM

Mistakenly shoved my chanter into the blowpipe stock and splintered my favorite reed. (the stock had a water trap insert). I was very upset with myself. In my state of shock and anger I took out my well preserved and ready for any emergency back up reed, placed it very carefully in the chanter and did exactly the same thing. O for 2 and unable to play. I now always put the blowpipe in first and then the chanter.

John S. Foley 03-05-2008 04:14 PM

Boy, I'll have to say... "If you haven't done most of these things at least once or twice, you haven't piped. Glad that I'm in good company.

David Goodman 03-05-2008 04:34 PM

forgot my bagpipes going to a gig.
ha

Oengus 03-05-2008 04:44 PM

Newbie in the band, after being tuned by the PM, put tape on her tuning pins to "mark the spot" so she "would always be in tune". Yikes!

Hump 03-05-2008 06:30 PM

setting up new drone reeds..... I spent 15 hard, cussing minutes making wild adjustments to a bass drone reed only to give up, and move on to the tenors when I noticed that one of the two remaining reeds on the floor was the bass drone reed that I thought I was adjusting!

Denis 03-05-2008 07:03 PM

This one is on the cusp of piper/non-piper. I'm the only color guard carrying the banner on 5th ave in ny. The band strikes up with a nice 6/8 and I am really enjoying myself. Around 57th st a burly genntleman shouts out "Who u wit?". The band is three blocks back!

Bonnie Pedersen 03-05-2008 07:50 PM

A dumb thing pipers do? Put their pipes down on my drum!

pancelticpiper 03-05-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Pedersen

To a piper it's not a "drum", it's a "pipe stand".
As are pianos, parked cars, chairs, tables, hedges, and nearly anything else that's handy.

MacDhughaill 03-06-2008 12:42 AM

I knew someone who drove off with his pipes sitting on the top of his car.

Another fellow left his pipes sitting against the wall at a dance-- and went home. I took his pipes home and called him the next day, he did not yet realize they were missing. (was an alcohol related incident)

Alex Anderson 03-06-2008 07:24 AM

I can't help but notice that the Dumb Things Non-Pipers Say greatly outnumber Dumb Things that Pipers Do (Or Say).

So we can conclude that Pipers are a lot more intelligent than non-pipers. (Do I need to be PC and include drummers, as in "Pipe Band Members" vs "Non Pipe Band Members"?)

Alex

James Hopkins 03-06-2008 08:04 AM

In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!

Bayoupiper 03-06-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Pedersen

Check the band rulebook!
That's S.O.P.!

Bayoupiper 03-06-2008 08:53 AM

My most memorable to date was the ceiling fan vs bass drone....

Fortunately they were my Crislers so the damage was to the ceiling fan!

phyx 03-06-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAH
In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!

I couldn't agree more! My drones are easily tuned with two fingers only--no need to get all caveman on them...just a slight twist is all it takes...one way goes up, the other way goes down--all directions are the same on all drones. It's not hard to figure out. Luckily, said designated tuner does not tune anymore...and the other one who volunteered, doesn't anymore. :thumb:

I don't have silver, but if I did...I'd feel the same way.

Jim Sloan 03-06-2008 08:58 AM

ceiling fan vs bass drone....

Fortunately they were my Crislers so the damage was to the ceiling fan!
----------------------------------------

Yes!!!
At long last a battle won during the War in the Southern US between ceiling fans and GHB's!

:thumb:

Jim

Piper_06 03-06-2008 01:26 PM

We were comparing chanters, and I put one of mine on back of my black car in the evening. Needless to say I really miss my chanter, it was my first one.

WJH 03-06-2008 05:26 PM

Once I drove 150 miles across the state to perform as guest soloist with a concert band and left my kilt on the bed at home! I did not discover my mistake until 45 minutes before the performance time when I opened my clothes bag to begin getting dressed. Luckily my wife, bless her soul, had discovered my mistake and hired a delivery service to send my kilt. It arrived just in the nick of time! I never asked my wife how much the delivery cost and upon returning home presented her with a dozen roses and much thanks.

John McCain 03-06-2008 06:36 PM

We had an unusual heavy snowfall here in north Texas today. I had to drive about 90 miles in it from a client's site. Much of it was very slow going.

As the Mustang in front of me fish-tailed, swerved, then ran off the highway, my very first thought was, "I really need to put down this practice chanter and quit driving with my knees."

Best, John

classicbagpipes 03-07-2008 05:24 AM

Used to do miles and miles driving with my knees, but never in the snow.

jedburgh 03-07-2008 11:28 AM

I'm not sure if this was dumb or witty.

While playing a combined gig with a brass band, one of their musicians spotted a few filing card sized tunes on the table at which a few of us pipers were sitting. We were asked if they were our music.

A piper quipped "Nope, not our music. We don't use music. We just make it up". Brass band musician accepted the answer.

???

Don Watts 03-07-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phyx
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!

I couldn't agree more! My drones are easily tuned with two fingers only--no need to get all caveman on them...just a slight twist is all it takes...one way goes up, the other way goes down--all directions are the same on all drones. It's not hard to figure out. Luckily, said designated tuner does not tune anymore...and the other one who volunteered, doesn't anymore. :thumb:

I don't have silver, but if I did...I'd feel the same way. </div></div>

Just make sure your designated tuner can’t come back with: “If you’d spend as much time learning how to tune your drones as you do polishing your silver, I wouldn’t need to touch them.” :lol:

Piper_06 03-07-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicbagpipes
Used to do miles and miles driving with my knees, but never in the snow.

That's because in Atlanta if it snows, everything stops. :lol:

Hunter S 03-07-2008 03:56 PM

I remember when I very first began playing- I had a set of Dunbar P-1's, and I had just gottne my chnater and drones all set up and the pipes ready to go. Knowing nothing about reeds, I took my bass drone out, and decided I didn't like the way the reed looked, so I decided to shave it with a pair of scissors, like you would a chanter reed. I thought you did the same thing to both!

keydetpiper 03-07-2008 06:19 PM

Left my chanter and cap on the bus after a competition....

Broke a very nice and very comfortable Naill wooden Naill chanter by twisting from the bottom....

During a VMI parade we were supposed to play AG together with the brass band to honor an alum who had died recently. I had the solo at the beginning, played it beautifully, the time came for the other 8 pipers to start playing.... a few squeaks and squawks, then nothing. I ended up playing a 4 part solo accompanied by the brass band.

A previous pipe major was pretty pissed at the band after a poor showing in a competition, packed up his stuff and drove off, leaving his pipes sitting on the field. Other band members brought it back to him.

The band introduced a stuffed elephant named Angus, presented to any member of the band who lost or forgot something. As he was being introduced, I was thinking, "At least I won't be the first one to have the elephant." Guess who left his music at practice that night?

A friend had brought her pipes out at a bonfire party. After playing, she laid them on the case and stuffed it under a bush. A bit of roughhousing ensued, someone got pushed into the bush, broke the bass drone in half. Ouch!

ABW1 03-07-2011 09:44 AM

Don't know if this is dumb. But have you ever asked someone to hold your pipes and they put their hands on the mouthpiece part of the blow stick?

PipePlayr 03-07-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Goodman (Post 974208)
forgot my bagpipes going to a gig.

.........forgot the gig.......:cry:

Kirby Allen 03-07-2011 02:04 PM

Was holding a set of pipes near a fan with a low ceiling. It didn't hurt the pipes but it gave me a nice solid smack on the forehead.

snowbear 03-08-2011 05:19 AM

I played with a guy who had got his pipes from his elder brother. He did'nt think of removing the chanter when not playing, so it had been in there with the reed for about a year. The instructor mentioned the sound, and decided to check the reed. To his big surprise; It was black. We had great fun with his little mushroom-farm, thinking about all the problems he would get in a security control at the airport.

He got a fresh, new (non smelling) reed.

Ian Turnbull 03-08-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PipePlayr (Post 1142869)
.........forgot the gig.......:cry:

:) me too!

codart 03-08-2011 11:04 AM

My very first band gig hung no.1's up in car everything on hangers only I decided to lay my kilt out on back seat to avoid crushing it. Transferred all to coach for journey to gig half way there realized I had left kilt on back seat.... made walk of shame to front of coach to tell PM no kilt - band was already a little light in numbers:(

When we got there it was pouring down so we wore capes, I went night shopping and bought some lycra shorts and wore full no.1s with cape and no kilt. Not sure if anyone noticed due to wind direction etc but we 'seemed' to get away with it:woot: