Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=376)
-   -   Who makes this reed? (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168189)

Bellows Blown 04-21-2019 10:40 PM

Who makes this reed?

Hello

This reed was being played at a NSW Aus solo competition. This reed has the sweetest and cleanest back A you ever heard. All the top hand notes were good but the back A was just so clear good.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/21abtrb.jpg

The boy let me take a pic but said they are not for sale and only by special order.

I just want to get one so any help you can.

BB

Patrick McLaurin 04-22-2019 05:07 AM

Re: Who makes this reed?

Kinda lame the “boy” didn’t tell you who made it since it wouldn’t have mattered since they’re not for sale. Or are they since it’s special order?

Considering your location, it could be a McLaren. But I am not saying it is as McLaren does sell their reeds.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254207856354

hooks 04-22-2019 03:47 PM

It has a plastic look about it or is that just the way the light is shining on it.

Dave

Bellows Blown 04-22-2019 06:06 PM

Yes it is a plastic reed, that's why I want one.

The boy was not "lame" he just told me what he knows. He is only about 12 so he would not know a lot of detail and in this country, an old bloke getting friendly with a young boy can get the tongues wagging in ways that are not healthy so I only had a brief chat with him.

I know his band because it was on his cover but this band is a fee for service band so I am not wanting to give them a free plug and their PM probably wouldn't help me anyway. They are the lot that supported Paul McCartney when he toured here.

I blew the reed and it was just about as easy as my smallpipes so if I get one I will be able to play my highland pipes again. The boy was in the finals and this tells you that the boy's reed sounded real good.

I have also been told that the reeds are made by a New Zealand reedmaker but I have searched and found not reedmakers over there that do this.

I just want one of these reeds so I can play my pipes again so I hope someone can help. If someone from GMM can give me the details you can pm me if you don't want all to know.

Thankyou in advance

BB

TwitchyFingers 04-22-2019 07:00 PM

It looks to be the same blade plastic used in the Clanrye Synthetic reeds. I'm not sure if there's a place to get them in Australia, but the 27 written on that may correspond to red medium mentioned in the site:
http://www.pipeline-bagpipes.com/PCT/product/A-126.html

Color Code Strengths Airflow (C.F.P.H) Press (P.S.I)
Yellow Easy 20-21 0.5- 0.75
Red Medium 23-27 0.8- 1.1
Blue Hard/Strong 30 1.4
I'm not sure, though, seeing as the bridle and wrap color are different than most of the pictures I've seen.
Malcolm McLaren is in Brisbane, making synthetic reeds which sound pretty good.
If, as your friend says, they are only by special order, the person making them may not be ready to go public yet, and may also not like having even a picture of their work online.
Some day, some genius will release one that fools even the experts until they see the chanter out of the stock. ;)

CalumII 04-23-2019 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers (Post 1336770)
Some day, some genius will release one that fools even the experts until they see the chanter out of the stock. ;)

https://youtu.be/8S9leE7yuY0?t=38

Klondike Waldo 04-23-2019 03:06 PM

That video is a couple of years old, but I still don't see legere Bagpipe reeds for sale anywhere yet
Just a thought- a cane oboe reed costs about the same as a good cane GHB chanter reed. A Legere synthetic oboe reed costs about $135- 50 or 6 times as much. Maybe they last that long?:shrug:

Bellows Blown 04-23-2019 03:51 PM

Thanks for the pm

Odd fellow this man

He only makes reeds for his son's band or if he knows you personally so not a businessman.

I spoke with a band player and he won't make off the shelf reeds and if you try to order a reed he will just direct you to McLaren. They are friends.

His boy has played the bag from 9 so he needed a reed that the boy could play so he went to plastic.

His reeds did well in the recent NZ championships and I am told 2 top grade pipers there use his reeds for social and commercial work. (heresay)

A local Sydney band used them in a local competition and did well against a higher grade band. (heresay)

They do not alter with moisture or temp and they last for a long time. (heresay)

That was his boy I spoke with at the NSW solo competition and he was placed in the finals. He is 13. Thats why mums the word.

One of the judges even made a direct comment to this boy on how good his chanter sounded. (heresay)

The reeds sound so good you cannot pick they are plastic. My ear and the judge results support this. The only clue is the most clear and clean back A. Apart from this they just sound like a great sounding reed.

He will not name the pipers using his reeds because they have asked him not to because of the number of pipers and judges that hate a reed just because it is plastic. Unless it is a drone plastic???? Bloody hypocrites.

The story is that he only makes reeds to the exact pitch and pressure needed and he has to have a chanter to make the reeds fit to get the result so they are only made to measure reeds.

Thats the story, thanks again for the pm.

All I have to do now is see if I can talk him into making me one.

Bellows rules.

BB

Pip01 04-24-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalumII

Greetings to All,

As a side note... (groan.. :) ... from minute 5:13 to
minute 6:10... is... I do believe... an old tune also
known as "The Rakes of Kildare"... and the tune of
which is used for the song... "The Limerake Rake."

Not having heard these performed in a while... it was
a very... pleasant surprise!! :)

Good tune, that!!... though most usually played a bit
more slowly... and a 2nd part... beginning about 5:50...
and that it was my first time to hear... :)

It's a very good tune... and... what I might term as... a
rather "thoughtful" song... :)

The chanter reed... sounds to be... without flaw!! :)

If this chanter reed is a synthie... I can only hope...pray...
that it shall soon be available... in at least... a range of
Medium... to downright Easy... :)

Any possibilities of that?

Regards to All,

Pip01

TwitchyFingers 04-24-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pip01 (Post 1336803)

Any possibilities of that?

Regards to All,

Yes; there is. Go check your P.O. box.

Bellows Blown 04-26-2019 05:20 PM

I got one - paid $40 preowned and coin well spent. Had to settle for a Bb but it suits my chanter anyhow.

Only minor tape trim and it does not need to be retuned from down in the city to up here in the mountains - it is the same pitch all the time - so good. Big back a and a bright top hand overall. Very happy and you can put it in a glass of warm water for ten minutes and then play it straight away and it is always the same pitch.

I took a video of the boy playing up at McLean but there is no way to have a video on this note and I do not know computers well enough to find out how but someone else might have one because there were other watchers with their recorder phones. Maybe one of them can.

very happy.

BB

Patrick McLaurin 04-26-2019 05:57 PM

You’ve managed quite the assessment in the less than 3 days you’ve had it. :thumb:

Bellows Blown 04-26-2019 09:16 PM

Less than 2 days in reality.

Up here it is a bit cold at night and a usual reed would need to be fiddled with - not this one.

It was mid 20's c when I got it and the pitch has not changed from that day to now.

The sound is very good and it may not be cane or sound like what the cane purist wants but it just works the same everytime I blow it. Goodness bless this material.

Keep in mind that these have been used in the recent New Zealand contest and with a good result as the same from the Australian contests recently and with a good nod from the judges.

I don't need anything more and I am not or never was a great piper but I know what sounds nice and is good to blow.

No one but me will ever know and I don't care I am playing my pipes again and I am very very happy. I don't need to be a purist.

I have spent enough pennies.

BB

3D Piper 04-27-2019 05:27 AM

Post a sample of you playing it, would love to hear it

-Matthew

Bellows Blown 04-27-2019 04:11 PM

Listening to my playing is likely not the best option even I know I am just playing.

If I knew how to work with the computer gear a bit better I could show you the video of the boy playing he was doing a great job but it is on my telephone recorder so I can only watch and listen to it on my phone.

If you have some simple steps to do it I would be seeing if I could do it but most things I try with computers and these new phones I just buggar it up.

Contact his band people because there can only be one boy in their band that plays like he can. He had GMM on hes cover and the gentleman that pm me said he plays with Hornsby rsl band. Don't quote me if you please as I have pestered a few people to get where I am and if you want help it may not help to mention my efforts. To answer the question I firsr asked the man who made the reed is called Dale and he is the boys father.

I am now going out to further test the patience of my good neighbors with my new reed.

BB

Patrick McLaurin 04-27-2019 05:06 PM

Corey Dale huh? He (used to?) make pipes, then fell ill or something, I dunno. Super nice guy, at least over email. He was featured on McLaren’s initial YouTube video demonstrating the McLaren reed many years ago. So no surprise he also knows how to custom make the McLaren style of reed.

I still kinda want one of his pipes that he made out of native Australian hardwoods. Gidgea and snakewood were pretty cool looking.

daj 04-28-2019 04:52 PM

The funny thing about the internet and forums is just how many responders assume that they seem to be able to read into or make assumptions on threads, when clearly they have no idea of many of the facts.
In recent years a great deal of information sharing is now being made far less public, simply because of these so called keyboard experts. Not just in this forum but a lot of other places. In this case the original poster was very wrong on so many of the conclusions, also the clandestine methods of seeking information that was not freely given seems more than a little unethical to say the least.
The latest post by another prolific poster assuming there is only one Corey, involved in bagpipes .....really????
More and more these days instruments are being made by engineers and not carpenters or cabinet makers...the technologies involved and methods of measurement as advancing far quicker than the attitudes often expressed on these pages

Patrick McLaurin 04-28-2019 06:15 PM

Perhaps you mean “more than one” Dale? Dale was the name given by the OP, not Corey. I said Corey, Corey Dale.

Sure, it was a guess. Considering the public YouTube relationship between Corey Dale and McLaren, and the similarity between the McLaren reed and the reed in the original post, didnn’t seem like much of a stretch to assume the Dale in question is Corey Dale.

Of course, maybe Dale is a REALLY common name over there?

So, how about you fill in the appropriate blank?

_________ Dale __________ (Jackson?)

I could make more assumptions. You’ve advocated heavily for synthetic reeds in the past on this forum. Claimed to have or currently do make bagpipes. Your forum name is daj. Harley Jackson has a dad named Dale and his dad made his pipes. Maybe his plastic chanter reed too?

daj 04-28-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin (Post 1336913)

I could make more assumptions. You’ve advocated heavily for synthetic reeds in the past on this forum. Claimed to have or currently do make bagpipes. Your forum name is daj. Harley Jackson has a dad named Dale and his dad made his pipes. Maybe his plastic chanter reed too?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nVE8ho9UBRzs3iS26
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nVE8ho9UBRzs3iS26

I'm still making pipes, this is my current project, will most likely get plastic reeds, at least to test. But prefer to stay away from the competitive elements of the GHB world in preference to music. Collaborating with some incredible people throughout the world to realise this project. Sadly due to the clandestine methods that a few people seem to go by, it's unlikely we will ever make all the information available in a public forum......so instead we discuss advances and innovations in private discussions.

Patrick McLaurin 04-29-2019 07:02 AM

A 3D printed musette?

Looks cool, I’m totally unfamiliar with that scene and the instrument itself. Can’t say I’ve ever heard one. Sorry to hear people are acting clandestinely (that a word?).

I enjoy sharing all my discoveries through my website, as a computational chemist I’m all about open source software and transparency in science and in general. Advancement only comes on the shoulders of giants who were willing to share. Maybe someday you’ll be able to share your creation despite those that would seek to undermine it.

Bellows Blown 05-03-2019 09:29 PM

Dear Mathew

I have got the video as you asked. The kids did it for me and I will not do it again because it took over two hours.

It is from my telephone recorder so I cannot change any of it so the quality is what you can get only.

https://youtu.be/U46OqRLvVQQ

I do not want to know if you like it or not and I do not care what anyone else thinks. I like it and I was there and heard and saw this little boy play so well. I would like to have ever played as well.

The judge was a good piper and he gave the boy a good nod for his playing and the judge also gave him a good nod for how well this chanter sounds on the score sheet. I do not know if the judge knows that the reed was artificial cane but he said the sound was good so it does not matter anyway. This was told to me from one of the band players so it is likely a truth.

The reed in the photo is the exact same reed in the chanter this boy is playing, I took the picture myself.

Do not ask me for any more information as I am already a nuisance to them. The name on his bag is The Governor MacQuarie Memorial Pipe Band and they have contact details in the Internet so ask them for any information you want, not me.

Regards

BB

CalumII 05-04-2019 07:56 AM

Many thanks, BB. Very interesting video. I appreciate the effort you went to to post it for us.

Bellows Blown 05-08-2019 06:39 AM

He makes pipes and chanters as well as the reeds.

I found his pipes on www.loggerheads.com.au because thats where he gets the timber to make them.

It is all Australian native wood called Gidgee.

Looks good and sounded good might be worth the look.

DNorwood 05-08-2019 11:36 AM

With the 'reported' lack of quality of several plastic reeds on the market and the absence of a fulfillment from another big name in the synthetic reed market, perhaps several folks making inquiry with the reed maker will help along this endeavor. :-)

shane333 05-13-2019 08:16 AM

What tune is this young man playing during the first half of the video, or he just improvising?

CalumII 05-13-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane333 (Post 1337348)
What tune is this young man playing during the first half of the video, or he just improvising?

Glengarry's Lament, the piobaireachd.

Bellows Blown 06-01-2019 06:11 PM

Interestingly
I played with a Smallpipe Band last evening with my plastic b flat reed in my War-Mac chanter. All at b flat 466 aprox.

A young piper joined in with a Shepherd "Orchestral" chanter which plays at b flat 466 by purpose built design.

He also had his band chanter with him which is a Shepherd 3 chanter and he plays it at band pitch 478 aprox.

He put my plastic b flat reed in his Shepherd 3 chanter and it played at good tune at b flat. He only put a lick of tape on the bottom hand notes and he played it with the Smallpipe and Jazz group in tune.

He thought I would have to buy a designed b flat chanter to play with other instruments and he was flummoxed to explain why my plastic reed would play b flat in a band chanter.

I don't know why this worked but it now no longer needs me to buy a purpose made b flat chanter. Save some pennies.

This might also be the case with some standard reeds also but it did not work with the young man's standard band reed.

I don't have any answers, only information about events. I only use a korg tuner and add or subtract the offsets but the young man had a high tech electric tuner and he seemed sure of what we were hearing.

BB

Jim Fogelman 06-04-2019 06:17 AM

So he was playing highland pipes at a smallpipe band?

And put a smallpipe reed in his highland chanter?

Bellows Blown 06-22-2019 08:55 PM

Reeds update

The reed in the picture works so well as the design has what is being called a backbone design.

One in our small pipers group has close ties to one of the McLaren small pipers and has confirmed that the McLaren reed now also has adopted a backbone design because it works so well with plastic. The backbone can be clearly seen on this reed and the McLaren reeds when you put them up to the light. This is how you tell if you have a current model McLaren reed of the older design.

There is a band competition being held today at Brisbane and our Qld piper has been told to look out for the band using plastic reeds as have many of the other bands and officials at the competition.

We will wait to see the results and as the judges would now know that the plastic chanter reeds are being played it will be of interest to see how they are to be viewed, or persecuted.

We are looking like we are on the cusp.

BB

Harley G 06-29-2019 06:03 PM

To answer the first question, my Dad makes the reeds.

To answer the other questions sent to me,

I am small and not a strong blower and do not have great bag control. I need a soft-med reed to be able to play the pipes comfortably but most of the softer reeds, both cane and plastic will not allow me to play more advanced tunes such as jigs and hornpipes because they tend to squeak and chirp when going to and from the octave G and A. This reed allows me to play these tunes with comfort and confidence.

The march in the video, Lily Christie is an excellent example of such a tune and in the video you will not hear any chirps. Plenty of other mistakes yes, but no chirps.

My family has been involved with making chanters and cane reeds for more than 25 years and much of this experience was used to create and develop this unique plastic composite reed profile.

The staple is a conventional brass tube and the blades are formed from plastic sheet.

The reeds are currently a development project much the same as the reed Big Jim is developing with legere and are not a commercial offering but samples have be distributed.

This reed may fit well with other chanters and may not. The reeds are made to suit chanters.

I have used composite reeds in solo competitions for a few years now with pleasing results in both D and C grades.

Some judges have described my chanter/reed sound as: Weak, Dull, shrill and insipid.

Some judges have described my chanter/reed sound as: Bright, sharp, responsive and “nice”.

The most credentialed player/judge I have performed in front of is Mr Callum Beaumont.

Mr Beaumont rated my chanter/reed as “nice”. I have kept his hand written signed score sheet for reference.

If I have missed any questions I am happy to answer any.

Harley

Harley G 07-05-2019 04:47 PM

Further to this

Situation: 2 of the bands I play with use both band pitch and Bb pitch chanters. One uses Shepherd and the other R G Hardie.

The Hardie chanter band is playing in the upcoming Tattoo so will be using Bb chanters. I only had a band pitch R G Hardie so we made a Bb composite reed for that chanter and it played in tune at 466. We ordered a Bb R G Hardie chanter anyway and it arrived yesterday so we made a composite reed for that chanter at 466 and it worked well, (in tune).

We reeded a band pitch chanter to 466 and it works well and is in tune. The reed from the 466 Hardie chanter will not play in tune when put in the band pitch chanter. The 466 reed from the band pitch chanter will not work when put in the Bb 466 Hardie chanter.

Why then do we buy a Bb chanter when we can just have a reed made for our regular band chanter that will also pitch down to 466 in tune?

$230 Bb chanter + $25 Bb reed as against $25 for a 466 reed to suit the band chanter.

We tried this on a few of our modern chanters and the result was consistent, (pretty much) cepting for one chanter.

It works with composite reeds so in theory it should also work with cane reeds.

Commercial reality check: No chanter maker is going to tell you this works.

To the Trads that would sooner chew off their own nose as think of playing a composite chanter reed, I am not suggesting you try a composite reed.

As there are cane reed makers that comment here every so often I would be interested to know if this situation is also consistent with cane reeds. We do not make cane GHB reeds.

Could save some bands and players some serious cash.

DNorwood 07-08-2019 07:26 AM

https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...tting-good.jpg

el gaitero 07-08-2019 08:13 AM

Perhaps in this same vein...I posted here several months ago ‘ What makes a reed Bb?”

Could not get a definitive answer from a few reed makers...and learned that a eg. Shepherd standard reed works just as good in my Bb chanter as does a Shepherd reed stamped Bb. ( ...and they appear identical externally)
I tried this only after a RPM friend said had didn’t know what a Bb reed was ...he only uses standard reeds in his own Bb chanter.

magsevenband 07-08-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gaitero (Post 1338691)
Perhaps in this same vein...I posted here several months ago ‘ What makes a reed Bb?”

Could not get a definitive answer from a few reed makers...and learned that a eg. Shepherd standard reed works just as good in my Bb chanter as does a Shepherd reed stamped Bb. ( ...and they appear identical externally)
I tried this only after a RPM friend said had didn’t know what a Bb reed was ...he only uses standard reeds in his own Bb chanter.

From what I've heard Bob Shepherd say, the B flat reeds were just ones that sounded flatter off the board..I like the idea of playing B flat chanters in competition, the Shepherd Orchestral has been my regular stick for years..I don't get the idea of trying to make sharper pitched chanters fit to B flat with so called composite reeds whatever that is...

Harley G 07-08-2019 04:03 PM

We use Shepherd reeds and chanters as the consistency is very good. Our PM and band have played GHB with ACDC, John Farnham, Paul McCartney and cabaret performers such as Ian Cooper, all at Bb.

The Shepherd Bb reeds are a different length than standard band pitch reeds but you may need a caliper to see it. Shepherd has that u-beaut reed cutting machine which can be set to cut whatever profile he likes.

Mouth crow your Bb and then compare the crow to a band pitch chanter, you will get the idea from that.

We are very experienced with Bb setup and it is much more pleasant to the ear than current band offerings. If Bb is 466, when does it turn into the next note in the scale? Musically, 490 sounds piercingly sharp to the ear and conflicts with other music the ear is usually exposed to so why do we do it?

The lady with the nails down the blackboard voice always gets heard in the crowd, not that she sounds pleasant. The band playing at 490, (blackboard nails) gets heard over the band playing at 480, therein lies the reason, to be heard, simply put, a pissing contest in Hz. Some jazz musicians in particular have been doing this for years because it works, you get heard over the others. Mr Beaumont is demonstrating the latest RGH chanter at 490 because it makes the chanter sound bigger and brighter over the others and he is being paid to get this chanter sold.

A Bb chanter has a longer hole span or/and a more narrow bore taper and was made this way for a conventional reed to be able to be seated to play at the lower pitch. As the pitch has increased the reeds have had to become shorter to sharpen the tonic and wider to keep the top hand down. This is width aspect ratio is why so many pipers have to tolerate that scawly thin varying high A that is now becoming all too common.

The point I was making is just that if you design the reed correctly, you can get your band stick to also play at Bb. As we have only done this with composite (non organic) reeds, we were not sure if it was also achievable with cane (organic) reeds.

I may just have to give Mr Shepherd another call.

magsevenband 07-09-2019 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley G (Post 1338704)
We are very experienced with Bb setup and it is much more pleasant to the ear than current band offerings. If Bb is 466, when does it turn into the next note in the scale? Musically, 490 sounds piercingly sharp to the ear and conflicts with other music the ear is usually exposed to so why do we do it?

I'll drink to that.

3D Piper 07-09-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

What makes a reed Bb
I always assumed a longer reed would make it flatter. Right?
If we clip the lips to make it sharper, wouldn't longer lips be flatter?

We play Dunbar Elite 1 for a flatter sound, although we anticipate going sharp because of the heat.. I don't like the thinner 480+ sound, it's just too sharp for me and harder to get those wee high notes perfectly in tune

-Matthew

el gaitero 07-09-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3D Piper (Post 1338720)

I always assumed a longer reed would make it flatter. Right?

-Matthew

Yes...One would think. I carefully compared multiple popular brand Bb reeds to the standard reed and found virtually no diff in overall length, staple diameter, blade length or binding height. So, as mentioned here prior,..I started using the standard reeds as recommended by a RPM friend ...like he does...they work fine.
The Bb reeds seemed/were more tedious to work with ...

Harley G 07-09-2019 04:11 PM

The difference is quite small as you are only altering the pitch by a small amount in hardware terms.

A standard Shepherd is about 0.3 - 0.4mm shorter than their Bb offering. As all makers may vary the staple length and the length of reed extending past the staple eye you need to be brand specific when comparing. Obviously this will also differ depending on the cane. Small capillary long fiber cane tends to be alot stronger both in length and width so the same maker may vary the profile to suit the batch of cane. The machine that Shepherd uses can dynamically test for hardness, hence his consistency. The joys of CNC.

The shorter the reed the sharper. To stop the top hand going ballistic you make the lips wider which flattens down the top hand proportionally more than it effects the bottom hand. Sorry if I was not clear in my last post.

If the lips are too wide and the cane is not strong enough they can flex too much and will not close evenly across the lips. They end up touching in the middle with a small air gap out towards the edges like a figure eight. This causes that scurly, raspy thin hA as well as base to octave chirps and squeals. This is why the spine on cane reeds is so important. Look at a clarinet/saxophone reed up to the light and you will see that on good reeds there is a distinctive pointed spine in the middle of the reed going up to the tip. Same principle applies to double bladed reeds, just as an oboe player and they get to control the reed with the luxury of embouchure. No such luck for the GHB piper.

We apply this principle to composite reeds also.

Harley G 07-17-2019 03:53 PM

The woes of using this type of reed.

I played at a competition and was told my chanter was "Too Sharp". I try to pitch around 480 as this is about the average pitch I am hearing played at such events.

I checked my A - A balance and it was fine as was the rest of the chanter. I demonstrated this fact and was told no matter what the tuner indicated, I was still "Too Sharp", the tuner must be wrong.

After speaking with one of the older judges I was told it was not "Sharp" but "Too Bright". WT_?

After a lengthy discussion it was pointed out that most pipers are so used to hearing that thin, lifeless, raspy, "disappearing"? hA & G they get confused when they hear the clean vibrant hA & G this composite reed produces and to some of them it just sounds too top hand sharp.

I used to think, (and still do to some extent) that it is just the old stagers rejecting the thought of non-cane chanter reeds when it is actually the fact that these reeds produce a sound not usually heard from a bagpipe chanter. In fairness, once you find a good cane reed you can get clean top hand notes also but this usually means quite a hard reed from fairly hard cane, also 45 inches plus and out of the playing range of many pipers.

The same was said about non-cane drone reeds when they first appeared on the scene. They were too loud and "Buzzy" compared to cane. Now that icey buzz is pretty much the norm and we all like non-cane drone reeds now.

I guess there will always be those that believe the earth is flat so using these reeds comes at a cost if you are in it for the trophies.