Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=353)
-   -   Red Speckled Hen (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132625)

piobaire76 07-24-2010 01:26 PM

Red Speckled Hen

Could someone please tell me what in collection the tune "The Red Speckled Hen" can be found? Thank you.

Heatherbelle 07-24-2010 01:41 PM

Re: Red Speckled Hen

Quote:

Originally Posted by piobaire76 (Post 1113476)
Could someone please tell me what in collection the tune "The Red Speckled Hen" can be found? Thank you.

Don't suppose you mean The Red Speckled Bull? Can you tell us what kind of tune it is, where you heard it, whether its a bagpipe tune, or anything else about it? It does ring a bell, but for me at least, I wonder if it's a non-bagpipe tune??

piobaire76 07-24-2010 01:53 PM

No, it's not the RS Bull--that's a great piobaireachd. Following some other links I found Encyclopedia of Tunes for the Great Highland Bagpipe, online version, Compiled by Robert Pekaar, presented online by Patrick McLaurin http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/tuned...derbythis=book
Evidently a Donald Morrison composition, a 4-parted jig. It was recorded on the Tannahill Weavers eponymous album (yes, it was an album back then). I thought it was a reel because it was coupled between Willie Cummings and Dolina Mackay. Alas, I don't have John MacFadyen's Book 2. It's actually "for a friend of mine." (How many times have we heard that one?) But it's true!
Thanks for the response. Perhaps it will inspire a new tune--"The Wild Goose Chase."
Scott

Heatherbelle 07-24-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piobaire76 (Post 1113482)
Perhaps it will inspire a new tune--"The Wild Goose Chase."
Scott

Nice idea. You could have a tune trying to find it's 'home' note but never quite finding it. Like a tune in A but the low A note is never sounded all through the tune, though the listener knows that's what's being sought, and that's where it wants to go. And just to complete the story, you could speckle the tune with some 'hen' sounds (do you know the tune The Hen's March to the Midden?) and hey presto, a story in a tune.

I hope you find the tune, but if you don't, you've inspired an idea and that can't be a bad thing. :thumb:

piobaire76 07-25-2010 11:28 PM

"Hen's March to the Midden"--a wonderful little tune.
I like your musical idea. I'll have to give that one a shot.
Thanks! :wave:

the old marshal 07-25-2010 11:49 PM

The Red Speckled Hen...by D.Morrison..PM Donald Macleod Book 1....page 41.:thumb:

Adam Sanderson 07-26-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the old marshal (Post 1113654)
The Red Speckled Hen...by D.Morrison..PM Donald Macleod Book 1....page 41.:thumb:

It's not in my MacLeod book One, on page 41 I've got The Curlew.
Maybe it's a different edition? ?:(

Jürgen Rech 07-26-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson (Post 1113661)
It's not in my MacLeod book One, on page 41 I've got The Curlew.
Maybe it's a different edition? ?:(

The questioner himself found it already - see the 3rd post in this thread. The tune is to be found (only?) in MacFadyen's 2nd collection.

Jurgen

Adam Sanderson 07-26-2010 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jürgen Rech (Post 1113663)
The questioner himself found it already - see the 3rd post in this thread. The tune is to be found (only?) in MacFadyen's 2nd collection.

Jurgen

Yes, I was aware of that, I was just making plain that the tune is not to be found in my edition of Donald MacLeod's book one. I have also made a check in the meantime, and can add that it is not in the editions currently on sale at the College of Piping.

I just didn't want anyone thinking that they could go out and buy a copy of Donald MacLeod's book 1 off the shelf and see Red Speckled Hen in it, that's all. :grin:

It may be that Old Marshall has an earlier edition. Like Willie Ross's books, Donald MacLeod's books have had different tunes printed in repressings over the years.

I know the Tannahill's album well, there are a few well known Donald MacLeod related/published tunes on it, The Geese in the Bog, The Blackberry Bush, Dr. Ross's 50th Welcome the Argyllshire Gathering, etc, but Red Speckled Hen is not one of them, it would appear.

the old marshal 07-26-2010 08:53 AM

mmmmmm....rechecked ..its there!!!....Blue cover...foreword by John Macfadyen...dated 1973....First tune is Ballochyle...last tune...Redondo Beach....mmmmmmmmm:shrug: