Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=353)
-   -   MacGregor of Rora (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145834)

LloydB 06-16-2012 08:31 PM

MacGregor of Rora

Can anyone point me to information on the composer
of this tune?

The tune search index gives "MacKillop, Andrew P.M."
A previous thread here says it was published in collections
1903 and later, and I'd guess maybe earlier?

It's the composer that I'd like to chase down. Any leads?

wanna-bea-piper 06-17-2012 03:47 PM

Re: MacGregor of Rora

The tune is listed on www.ceolsean.net/ in 3 versions, none of them with a composer credited. Apparently it was published in Book 9 of the David Glen collection before 1908 (when book 11 went to print) so FWIW I'd guess that your PM McKillop simply made his own setting of a Trad tune (as PM's are wont to do) and the original composer has simply gone to dust (as composers are wont to do, eventually)

You are probably free to re-arrange/re-shape this piece without problems like infringement of copyright looming over you :)
..Ev

LloydB 06-17-2012 10:05 PM

Thanks... That was the only listed version found (so far)
with any name attached to it -- my actual puzzlement has
to do with:

Who was Andrew MacKillop -- what time period and
P.M. of what? and from where (or whence)?

Hoping to find out before I also go to dust ;-)

David 06-17-2012 11:47 PM

Some very well-known pipe tunes have simpler forms from before some later P/M-arranger was even born. Yet the arrangement persist as having a known composer. At one time, that was done, but not much reason today to keep on atrributing a tune to an arranger.

CalumII 06-18-2012 10:15 AM

The earliest version I've spotted is in William Ross (1870) which is unattributed (par for the course for him, for what it's worth).

On a totally irrelevant note, it appears immediately before the magnificently titled "Miss Lucy Campbell's Shathspep".

eytanefraim 06-19-2012 01:50 PM

a.k.a. MacGregor's Search. From the notes of Bonnie Rideout's Scotland's Fiddle Piobairachd written by John Purser."...first appears in Daniel Dow's collection of 1776and again in KEITH Norman MacDonald's Gesto Collection of 1895...it belongs to a family of tunes...Tha gruagach san Aodan-The Maid of Edin in Patrick MacDonald"s collection of 1784...in a slightly different form is a well known Perthshire air, Bothan airigh am Braigh Raineachd-The Shieling on the Braes of Rannoch. It can also beheard on Hamish Moore's Stepping on the Bridge. A real golden oldie.

Kevin Griffin 12-24-2018 07:44 PM

A little late to the party but...I recently became acquainted with this tune from listening to the BBC Scotland radio program "Crunluath." The Gaelic speaking host introduced the tune as (what I heard) "MacGregor a' Bhrodadh." I wonder if that is the origin of the "MacGregor's Search" name? Anyhow, a beautiful tune, played by Fin Moore and Sarah Hoy. Fin's father is Hamish Moore who recorded his version of the tune in the sean-nos style which is also incredibly beautiful.

Skyelark 01-02-2019 02:55 PM

From The Caber Feidh Collection (QOH's)

"Macgregor of Rora
The tune comes from an old song of protest at the persecution of the MacGregors and in praise of their unflinching endurance in adversity.
'Mhic Griogair o Ruadhro
ga'm bu dual bhi'n Gleannlion'
(MacGregor of Roro whose right is Glenlyon)

Burns wrote [Scots] words 'roving winds around her blowing' to the tune.

An alternative setting of this tune, arranged as a funeral march, is included in 'Queen's Own Highlanders Standard Settings of Pipe Music'."

That's all I know - nice tune it is too!

John MacDonald 01-08-2019 03:08 PM

In Aad Boodes third Edition of "PIPE MAJORS of MILITARY PIPES AND DRUMS" there is only x1 PM McKillop listed.

This is PM Angus Paul McKillop of the 1st Batallion Cameron Highlanders born in 1863.

It appears he was PM of the 1st Bn from 1889-1896. From 1899 to whenever he completed his service he was PM of the Cameron Highlanders Depot