Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=376)
-   -   Head shakers (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168676)

Klondike Waldo 08-25-2019 06:42 AM

Re: Head shakers

Quote:

Originally Posted by
Interesting. Our thing was set up differently, with instruments done in pairs, so one semester trumpet/French horn, one semester trombone/tuba, one semester oboe/clarinet, one semester violin/viola, one semester Highland bagpipes pipes.

(One can dream...)

…how could I have forgotten, one semester on percussion, where we had to play on snare, timpany, xylophone. ( My first parade with the pipe band was as substitute bass drummer, which is also how I started my musical career in 9th grade)

David 08-26-2019 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers (Post 1339463)
Guy comes up to me in a parade with the band:
"Are there actual songs for the bagpipe, or do you just make it up as you go along?"
Me: "Yeah, we're all so magically psychic that 20 of us can make it up as we go along and be in unison."

A custom small-tour group guide in the Highlands, himself a Highlander, told our little group of five, that, in battle, pipers would all just wiggle their fingers over the holes, each piper doing his own thing, and make horrible frightening noises to put off the enemy. I mentioned piobaireachd, the years of musical training, the specific notes for each melody, the precise tuning--later on, privately, away from his other customers. An Israeli correcting a Highlander about Highland bagpipes was a grand faux pas. :shrug:

Bob Harper 08-26-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1339808)
...all just wiggle their fingers over the holes..and make horrible frightening noises..

But David - we've all seen this done.

Texas Gael 08-26-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1339808)
A custom small-tour group guide in the Highlands, himself a Highlander, told our little group of five, that, in battle, pipers would all just wiggle their fingers over the holes, each piper doing his own thing, and make horrible frightening noises to put off the enemy. I mentioned piobaireachd, the years of musical training, the specific notes for each melody, the precise tuning--later on, privately, away from his other customers. An Israeli correcting a Highlander about Highland bagpipes was a grand faux pas. :shrug:

Not to mention the badly grammatical Gaelic encountered at the various museums throughout the Highlands. Typical was the "Son of Aoidh" example at the Mackay museum in Strahnaver. It's not Son of Aoidh, it's Son of Aedh - Aoidh is the possessive case of Aedh. Get our name right! Obviously, non-Gaelic speakers were used.

Cheers -

Wes

Pip01 08-27-2019 08:35 AM

Greetings to All,

Perhaps... an Old Saw... but with New Teeth... at
least for this Thread... (Stolen from Ambrose Bierce. :)

And from an above Post... "You can tune those?!"

"How do you get two pipers to play in unison?
Easy!... Just shoot one of them." :)

Regards to All.

Pip01