Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beer Tent (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=376)
-   -   Head shakers (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168676)

johnsog 08-09-2019 08:02 AM

Head shakers

Some of us in our band were chatting the other evening waiting for our time to play in a gig and a couple of people mentioned those times when non-pipers say really head shaking things. For instance:

One piper had just gone to the store, all kilted up for the gig, and the young woman at the register lit up and asked if she was going to a German festival.

One piper had played a solo gig for some event. When finished, someone approached her and said, "I just LOVE the harmonica!!"

After we had played for the local Kirkin' O' the Tartans service, one of the choir members asked one of our group where she keeps the batteries.

This may have been covered before and I know has been injected incidentally in other threads as asides, but what are some of your more interesting connections with the non-piping public? I do like to ponder what is happening in people's cognitive circuitry...

piperswan 08-09-2019 10:16 AM

Re: head shakers

A few of us went into a gas station for some drinks before a parade. the teller very excitedly asked "where are your tiny bikes!?" we think that maybe she thought we were Shriners where are riding the mopeds in the parade.

Tucker Fleming 08-09-2019 10:23 AM

My band was walking up to a parade start point when a drunk lying in the gutter said "You gotta stop wearing them dresses and get right with God". We got a kick out of that.

BaggyMcPipes 08-09-2019 11:37 AM

Not quite the same thing, but one afternoon as I was prepping for a Funeral my 2yr old son walked up behind me, put a hand on my kilt, and said,

"How nice, look good daddy!"

And then whispered, "...like a princess..."

Aaron Shaw 08-09-2019 03:49 PM

I was playing in my local pub and a young woman asked the bartender, "How long is that guy gonna be playing that flute?"

Pip01 08-09-2019 03:50 PM

A hot summer's day parade... and one of the clowns
in the parade... quickly approached us... and said...

"Ya know?! Your mother dresses you funny!" :)

John Bolt 08-11-2019 08:13 AM

Re: Head shakers

One of the old boys in the band once led his band into one last pub after a hard day and had them sit down while he went for drinks. He then slipped out the back door, it was a funeral home!

classicbagpipes 08-11-2019 08:05 PM

The DM of the band was driving to a gig and had a flat tire. He was kilted up and went back to the trunk/boot to get the spare out. With his back to traffic, a tow truck pulled up behind him and the driver yelled out "hey lady need any help?

TwitchyFingers 08-11-2019 11:58 PM

Guy comes up to me in a parade with the band:
"Are there actual songs for the bagpipe, or do you just make it up as you go along?"
Me: "Yeah, we're all so magically psychic that 20 of us can make it up as we go along and be in unison."

Kenton Adler 08-13-2019 09:07 AM

I was tuning up for competition over in Tulsa one morning some years ago, and was just playing a scale, and a tuning phrase. I was listening to the chanter, and the drones. I stopped, and a woman walked up to me and said, "That's my favorite song. I hear it all the games."

I'll be she does.

Linz 08-13-2019 09:43 AM

A number of years ago, my instructor and I were practicing in a parking lot at the local Senior Center. It was on a Sunday when nobody was there. We were playing along, when out of nowhere, this woman comes marching up. She folded her arms and announced, "I've always HATED the bagpipes!" My instructor never missed a beat. He looked her square in the eye, and said, "But they think so highly of YOU!" She stood there a few seconds with her mouth open, then turned around without saying a word and marched off... :roflmao:

Texas Gael 08-13-2019 09:57 AM

A few years ago I was hired by a very large church to play Highland Cathedral with their orchestra. I took the opportunity to show up early for the rehearsal as the sanctuary had good acoustics and I wanted to play an older ABW Kintail chanter that came with my original bagpipe (I was using another chanter for the performance). As I was getting some practice in, some of the musicians arrived early and sat in the pews listening. After I was through, they chatted me up, very interested in the bagpipe, and told me how much they enjoyed listening. One question, though, "Why did you keep putting your hand up on your drones?". Why, between sets I was tuning. "You mean you can tune it?" Shows how much the GHB is an enigma even to other trained musicians. The performance came off quite well.

Cheers -

Wes

Jim Fogelman 08-13-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Gael (Post 1339491)
A few years ago I was hired by a very large church to play Highland Cathedral with their orchestra. I took the opportunity to show up early for the rehearsal as the sanctuary had good acoustics and I wanted to play an older ABW Kintail chanter that came with my original bagpipe (I was using another chanter for the performance). As I was getting some practice in, some of the musicians arrived early and sat in the pews listening. After I was through, they chatted me up, very interested in the bagpipe, and told me how much they enjoyed listening. One question, though, "Why did you keep putting your hand up on your drones?". Why, between sets I was tuning. "You mean you can tune it?" Shows how much the GHB is an enigma even to other trained musicians. The performance came off quite well.

Cheers -

Wes

I used to teach the pipe and at a local high school. The pipe band would accompany the marching band for parades and the assistant director would always say to me “have them play that one bagpipe song” (StB) while the band was marching along. Apparently he couldn’t be bothered to learn the names of different tunes or recognize that we even played different tunes, I think.

pancelticpiper 08-14-2019 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers (Post 1339463)
"Are there actual songs for the bagpipe, or do you just make it up as you go along?"
Me: "Yeah, we're all so magically psychic that 20 of us can make it up as we go along and be in unison."

The head-shakingest part is when a comment like that comes from somebody with a Doctorate in Music!!

The background is that I used to play in a dance band that played a number of Bulgarian dance tunes. As many of you might know, Bulgarian folk dances occur in rhythms that seem strange to non-Bulgarians, but which in Bulgaria are as commonplace as the jig and reel are in Scotland.

These Bulgarian dance idioms are perfectly regular and predictable, as all dance music must be. If they weren't, you couldn't have all the members of a dance band and a roomful of dancers in perfect matching rhythm.

So out at a Highland Games I was chatting with a piper about Bulgarian music. He maintained that the music was "random". I countered by asking how a Bulgarian band and dancers all perform in matching rhythm. "I have a Doctorate in Music" he said "and I can tell something with a rhythm from something that's random".

I tried explaining Bulgarian rhythm, to no avail. He had that Doctorate, and nobody could tell him anything.

Jim Fogelman 08-14-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pancelticpiper (Post 1339509)
The head-shakingest part is when a comment like that comes from somebody with a Doctorate in Music!!

The background is that I used to play in a dance band that played a number of Bulgarian dance tunes. As many of you might know, Bulgarian folk dances occur in rhythms that seem strange to non-Bulgarians, but which in Bulgaria are as commonplace as the jig and reel are in Scotland.

These Bulgarian dance idioms are perfectly regular and predictable, as all dance music must be. If they weren't, you couldn't have all the members of a dance band and a roomful of dancers in perfect matching rhythm.

So out at a Highland Games I was chatting with a piper about Bulgarian music. He maintained that the music was "random". I countered by asking how a Bulgarian band and dancers all perform in matching rhythm. "I have a Doctorate in Music" he said "and I can tell something with a rhythm from something that's random".

I tried explaining Bulgarian rhythm, to no avail. He had that Doctorate, and nobody could tell him anything.

A DM doesn’t mean great musicianship. One of my piano professors couldn’t find beat 1 on a metronome.

el gaitero 08-14-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pancelticpiper (Post 1339509)

" he said "and I can tell something with a rhythm from something that's random".

Maybe it was a <grade 6 band...and it was random...:grin:

pancelticpiper 08-14-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gaitero (Post 1339518)
Maybe it was a <grade 6 band...and it was random...:grin:

Actually we were discussing Bulgarian music, specifically the Ivo Papasov ensemble, which this eejit Doctor had heard.

But back to head-scratchers, one time I was out playing an a girl comes up and says "are you Scotch-Irish? My family is from Scotch-Ireland!"

Which reminds of my university teacher friend, who, during a US History final exam, was asked by one of the students "Is there a difference between England and New England?"

"Yes."

Mac an t-Sealgair 08-15-2019 03:42 AM

''Can you just turn the volume down on those a tad please?'' :doh:

pancelticpiper 08-15-2019 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair (Post 1339549)
''Can you just turn the volume down on those a tad please?'' :doh:

A reason to bring smallpipes to the gig!

Aaron Shaw 08-15-2019 08:59 AM

Years ago I was playing a wedding that also had a string quartet. After the 'soundcheck' we were talking and one of the violinists asked, "How did you get this gig?"

"The union." I said.

"Which one?" say the violinist.

"The Musician's union." says I.
"What's your instrument?" from the violinist.
"Bagpipe." I said, a bit slowly.
"But that's not really a musical instrument is it?" she said, seeming very confused.
I left to get a beer.

Just this year I played a golf tournament that I've done for about 20 years. It involves playing each 4-5some over a suspension bridge from the 10th tee to the fairway. There are about 60 groups. I start at 7:45 and play the last group over around 5:45. I then hang around until 7:30 to act as the dinner bell. Anyway, as it's a long, somewhat boring day I entertain myself by never repeating a tune (except by request.) About group 45 I walked back to one of the tables outside the clubhouse, set down my pipes and took a seat to wait for the next group. There was a guy sitting nearby who'd been there most of the day. He said, "Man, you've been going all day!"
"Yep. Still have a ways to go." I replied.
"You ever going to play anything different?"

Klondike Waldo 08-15-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Shaw (Post 1339559)
Years ago I was playing a wedding that also had a SNIP. He said, "Man, you've been going all day!"
"Yep. Still have a ways to go." I replied.
"You ever going to play anything different?"

I'd have said, next time, I'll bring my tuba.

( AFM Local 9-3 535, Boston, BTW)

FWIW, I've heard some AFM locals don't consider bagpipers to be Musicians. I'm proud to be long to the bsame local as members of the BSO, the Pops, Yoyo Ma…

pancelticpiper 08-16-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

I was playing a wedding that also had a string quartet.

It's sweet revenge when your pipes are better in tune than the string quartet is!

They fight the same tuning battle we do. Sometimes the violins win, sometimes the pipes do.

I played at an outdoor wedding where the string quartet had to set up and play on the grass. All that moisture is deadly, and their tuning was horrendous.

When my time came, the pipes were singing.

Quote:

"Which union?" says the violinist.

"The Musician's union." says I.

"What's your instrument?"

"Bagpipe."

"But that's not really a musical instrument is it?"

Nearly all my Union work (AFM Local 7) was Studio work on the uilleann pipes, and in that line of work people figure that if you're in the studio sightreading, you're "legit".

The easiest way to prove that the pipes require skill is to hand your set to the professional musician and ask them to play a scale. I can knock out a scale on a violin, or trumpet, or clarinet. I doubt many of them can do it on the pipes.

(At Uni I had to take a six-week course on each orchestral instrument.)

Bob Harper 08-16-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pancelticpiper (Post 1339569)
...hand your set to the professional musician and ask them to play a scale.....

Is there any other instrument that requires as much just to get to the point where you can play a scale?

surfcitypiper 08-16-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker Fleming (Post 1339401)
My band was walking up to a parade start point when a drunk lying in the gutter said "You gotta stop wearing them dresses and get right with God". We got a kick out of that.

Tucker that is a good one!

surfcitypiper 08-16-2019 09:56 AM

Nearly all my Union work (AFM Local 7) was Studio work on the uilleann pipes, and in that line of work people figure that if you're in the studio sightreading, you're "legit".

The easiest way to prove that the pipes require skill is to hand your set to the professional musician and ask them to play a scale. I can knock out a scale on a violin, or trumpet, or clarinet. I doubt many of them can do it on the pipes.

(At Uni I had to take a six-week course on each orchestral instrument.)[/QUOTE]

I have played piano and then many years on the trumpet. YES... most musicians could not handle even striking in and holding a single note, let alone playing a scale on the bagpipes! :D

Klondike Waldo 08-16-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pancelticpiper (Post 1339569)
SNIP

(At Uni I had to take a six-week course on each orchestral instrument.)

Me to, but a Uni I was a tuba/ Music Ed major, so I had one semester on woodwinds ( clarinet), one on brass other than my major (Horn in class, trombone in Lab Band) one on strings (cello) plus vocal ensembles.
My younger brother is also a professional musician, retired music teacher and a former marathon runner. One time years ago at a family picnic he picked up my pipes and tried to play them. Nothing doing. We have dome one gig together where he filled in as my drummer, though.:thumb:

Joseph Diodato 08-16-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Harper (Post 1339571)
Is there any other instrument that requires as much just to get to the point where you can play a scale?

Nope, even your average beginner band or orchestra student is squeaking out a 1 octave (concert pitch) B flat or D major scale after a few weeks of group instruction.

banjoguy 08-17-2019 10:58 AM

2 musicians, and a Bagpiper walked into a bar!

pancelticpiper 08-23-2019 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo (Post 1339587)
I had one semester on woodwinds (clarinet), one on brass other than my major (Horn in class, trombone in Lab Band) one on strings (cello) plus vocal ensembles.

Interesting. Our thing was set up differently, with instruments done in pairs, so one semester trumpet/French horn, one semester trombone/tuba, one semester oboe/clarinet, one semester violin/viola, one semester Highland bagpipes/uilleann pipes.

(One can dream...)

Dave 08-25-2019 01:56 AM

My usual irritation is "Oh, are you Scottish?" and assuming that bagpipes are particular to Scotland.

Klondike Waldo 08-25-2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
Interesting. Our thing was set up differently, with instruments done in pairs, so one semester trumpet/French horn, one semester trombone/tuba, one semester oboe/clarinet, one semester violin/viola, one semester Highland bagpipes pipes.

(One can dream...)

…how could I have forgotten, one semester on percussion, where we had to play on snare, timpany, xylophone. ( My first parade with the pipe band was as substitute bass drummer, which is also how I started my musical career in 9th grade)

David 08-26-2019 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers (Post 1339463)
Guy comes up to me in a parade with the band:

A custom small-tour group guide in the Highlands, himself a Highlander, told our little group of five, that, in battle, pipers would all just wiggle their fingers over the holes, each piper doing his own thing, and make horrible frightening noises to put off the enemy. I mentioned piobaireachd, the years of musical training, the specific notes for each melody, the precise tuning--later on, privately, away from his other customers. An Israeli correcting a Highlander about Highland bagpipes was a grand faux pas. :shrug:

Bob Harper 08-26-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1339808)
...all just wiggle their fingers over the holes..and make horrible frightening noises..

But David - we've all seen this done.

Texas Gael 08-26-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1339808)
A custom small-tour group guide in the Highlands, himself a Highlander, told our little group of five, that, in battle, pipers would all just wiggle their fingers over the holes, each piper doing his own thing, and make horrible frightening noises to put off the enemy. I mentioned piobaireachd, the years of musical training, the specific notes for each melody, the precise tuning--later on, privately, away from his other customers. An Israeli correcting a Highlander about Highland bagpipes was a grand faux pas. :shrug:

Not to mention the badly grammatical Gaelic encountered at the various museums throughout the Highlands. Typical was the "Son of Aoidh" example at the Mackay museum in Strahnaver. It's not Son of Aoidh, it's Son of Aedh - Aoidh is the possessive case of Aedh. Get our name right! Obviously, non-Gaelic speakers were used.

Cheers -

Wes

Pip01 08-27-2019 07:35 AM

Greetings to All,

Perhaps... an Old Saw... but with New Teeth... at
least for this Thread... (Stolen from Ambrose Bierce. :)

And from an above Post... "You can tune those?!"

"How do you get two pipers to play in unison?
Easy!... Just shoot one of them." :)

Regards to All.

Pip01