Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners, Intermediate, + (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346)
-   -   Why am I so nervous (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154786)

redmist 03-09-2014 03:19 PM

Why am I so nervous

Ok after 25 years of not playing I lifted the pipes again about 3 weeks ago and things are coming along nicely I used to compete in a grade 4 band and different tunes come back to me every day .im practicing almost daily weather its practice chanter or pipes I have my father in laws wedding to play at in june and the level im at im pretty confident ill be ok anyway I contacted my old band today and have been invited to go to a practice session this thursday .........so why am I so nervous

Andrew Lenz 03-09-2014 04:12 PM

Re: why am I so nervous

Because you are human? :)

Andrew

Klondike Waldo 03-09-2014 05:10 PM

... Because most of us would like to be sucessful and to be liked, and that you're nervous merely indicates you're not so conceited that you assume you will be sucessful and liked.

Kyle C.H. 03-09-2014 05:27 PM

Because, according to the laws of probability, there could be C4 wired into one of your drones, armed and the remote switch held by an individual with a keen hatred for the pipes? :thumb:

Seriously though, I did solos in high school and college for contrabass clarinet, and I've played the pipes solo for a few funerals and a festival. I get so nervous that my hands visibly shake, but when I start to play it all goes away. All that matters is the music, and if you know the music and are practiced up, it'll go swimmingly.

redmist 03-09-2014 05:52 PM

Its so strange im not at all phased about doing the wedding in the past ive probably done about 50 plus outings with the grade 4 a band including leading the b band into competition but just attending the practice session after all this time has me nervous as hell ie seing some of the old faces after my level has dropped dramatically feeling guilty for quitting feeling that ive let my old pm down after he invested time in me in particularly his father that mentored me in solo comps I know once I get there itl all go away but its almost like a job interview how I look are my pipes shiny and in tune etc etc lol

Kyle C.H. 03-09-2014 06:35 PM

Being nervous is a good thing. I'm the master of it. I happen to have a quiz over math way over my head tomorrow that I'm nervous for. However, I don't think it works as well as piping to be nervous. :grin:

Winch 03-10-2014 07:21 AM

I know what you mean. I'm doing my audition for the P/M to get in the circle this week and I'm pretty nervous. At this point I just want to get it over with!!

Pip01 03-10-2014 08:13 AM

Ah, redmist,

Yours is a completely regular and normal reaction... and
it is... and quite simply... because you haven't been... for
a while now... "on the spot"... where it is critical as to how
things go...

Take a couple of public engagements... go out busking
for a bit... It will come!!... (Promise! :)

Best of Good Fortune with it!!

Regards,

Pip01

celticmanone 03-10-2014 09:38 AM

Hi Red

I believe we all need to move out of our comfort zone from time to time. It keeps our lives a lot more exciting and rewarding.

Your comfort zone would be to just NOT show up for the audition. And that would be easy to do.

Doing the audition, nerves and all, would be moving out of your comfort zone; and you'll find that it wasn't so bad after all and I'll bet you'll have no regrets about doing it. It will definitely strengthen you and make it easier the next time you run into a similar situation.

I hope you give it a go this Thursday. Stay in the moment as much as you can til then. When the audition is over, you'll feel really good about it, I'm sure.

And please give us a shout and let us know how it went.

Ron Cuthbert

redmist 03-10-2014 10:08 AM

I definatly will let you know how it goes ive spoke to another band member on the phone today who informed me that the pm is ill at the minuite and hasnt attended the last few practices and his father my solo mentor has developed alzimers over the last 12 months but still gets involved where he can ,so quite sad news there and the only face of the past ill remember is now pipe seargent . I told him what level I was at and that I could remember about 10 of the tunes from my old sets and he said they still play some of the old stuff ie green hills of tyrol when the battles oer etc but ive never been a big fan of those lol but can play them, my problem is all the ones I like I can play but cant remember the names lol