Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Instrument (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=345)
-   -   An epiphany: blowing tone (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167683)

brewingjt100 01-14-2019 05:01 PM

An epiphany: blowing tone

I've been on the pipes for just over a year and I'm finally starting to get it. The last couple of times that I've played have been effortless. I could play all day. The stars have seemed to aligned. My bones and head vibrate with tone on an instrument in tune. I'm far from a virtuoso, but WOW what feeling. The nightly hour of practice for 18 months is finally starting to pay off in spades. I'm mostly a lurker here, but the education has been invaluable. For all you newbies, I didn't start until I was 52 years old. It's never too late. Join a band if you can. It forces you to exit your comfort zone.
Thank you,
John T

BaggyMcPipes 01-14-2019 05:06 PM

Re: An epiphany/blowing tone

Huzzah!

Congrats, friend! Keep preaching the good word!

John Bolt 01-15-2019 09:31 AM

Every year on the anniversary of starting out I think I'm starting to get it. Ten years later and thousands of hours of practice and many parades I think I'm starting to get it. I'll decide next year!

moderntraditional 01-15-2019 10:26 AM

I had one, too, most recently.

I was spending a lot of time focusing on things like blowing steady, bag pressure - the mechanics of blowing tone. That's not a bad thing, and honestly, the best players in the world ARE rock steady on those aspects.

But one day, there was a little click: the bag is just a means. Focusing on it isn't nearly as important as focusing on the tone itself. I began "blowing through the chanter".

And THAT made everything so much easier.

I don't know how to describe it other than that.

Dan Bell 01-15-2019 12:46 PM

Yup. Once you've heard yourself produce real tone, there is no going back. You'll never again accept an instrument or setup that doesn't do it.

pancelticpiper 01-15-2019 05:59 PM

My blowing tone epiphany came a little over ten years ago (I was in my late 40s) when I joined a band pipe-majored by a world-class piper/tonemeister/reedmaker with a pipe corps mostly consisting of pipers with decades of grade one band experience. (Most of my experience was with grade 4 and 3 bands.)

He would make everybody new reeds at the start of the competition season and at the midpoint.

At practice we would just play retreats for an hour or so... the whole point was to focus on blowing tone. After an hour all of our blowing was totally dialed in, all the reeds totally settled in. Only then would be practice our competition sets.

The epiphany was that everything comes from blowing tone.

Mac an t-Sealgair 01-16-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bell (Post 1334171)
Yup. Once you've heard yourself produce real tone, there is no going back. You'll never again accept an instrument or setup that doesn't do it.

Almost a curse, the struggle is real. I end up tuning more than playing:grin:

Klondike Waldo 01-16-2019 02:01 PM

It's something that every wind-instrument player has to learn at some point- not to play at the instrument or into the instrument, but through it. :thumb:

brewingjt100 01-16-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo (Post 1334184)
It's something that every wind-instrument player has to learn at some point- not to play at the instrument or into the instrument, but through it. :thumb:

That sums it precisely. The struggle wonderfully disappears. It doesnt happen every time , but when it does, itís magical.

John McCain 01-17-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewingjt100 (Post 1334196)
That sums it precisely. The struggle wonderfully disappears. It doesnt happen every time , but when it does, itís magical.

With proper maintenance and practiced blowing technique (see manometer), it should happen every time.

Piperís Dojo has lots of good info on this.