Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Instrument (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=345)
-   -   Surefire Synthetic chanter reed (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168321)

Herb 05-20-2019 06:17 AM

Surefire Synthetic chanter reed

I'm hoping these reeds are less affected by moisture and temperature. Anyone have experience with them.

John Bolt 05-20-2019 07:52 AM

Re: Surefire Synthetic chanter reed

Do a search for Surefire and Synthetic chanter reeds, it's been discussed over and over!

el gaitero 05-20-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Bolt (Post 1337535)

Do a search for Surefire and Synthetic chanter reeds, it's been discussed over and over!

Ive always presumed that if the noted effects were conveniently measurable and meaningful these or other syn chanter reeds would have by now supplanted the cane market du jour top picks ...albeit at 3x the price.

BaggyMcPipes 05-20-2019 11:28 AM

I posted about mine not long ago: I like it for playing on my own, but it's a chore to get set-up, (initial tuning, I mean). Once it's there, it stays, but for me personally: I wouldn't want them for my band because it would take sooooo long to get the initial tuning fine and then the inevitable dropped chanter, crushed reed, lost reed, etc that'd be happening at every practice, etc would take far longer to fix.

I really like it for personal play, I think it's a good innovation and I'm glad they exist. I recommend trying one, for sure. But I wouldn't want them for a band-reed for this reason, maybe that's part of the reason they haven't pushed cane reeds off the scene...

el gaitero 05-20-2019 11:53 AM

...I’d wager the higher cost and equal fudge-up ability as cane might also have something to do with it too.
Considering what goes into a cane reed...growing,harvesting,sorting,selecting,shippi ng,sorting,selecting,cutting,
assembly... they’re still relatively cheap.

DamhCabrachPiping 05-20-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb (Post 1337532)
I'm hoping these reeds are less affected by moisture and temperature. Anyone have experience with them.

They’re also less affected by Good Tone...

But seriously, I’m sure they’re great for what they are; I just don’t expect them to sound very harmonic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magsevenband 05-22-2019 11:09 AM

These plastic reeds will never be any good unless they make a dedicated chanter for them..playing them in chanters meant for cane reeds is folly.

Chris C. 05-22-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb (Post 1337532)

I have experience with another brand of synthetic chanter reeds, and the pitch doesn't alter during warm up but the playability does slightly -- about 5 minutes in it eases a hair and takes a bit less air, and then stays that way 'til I'm done playing. No problem with moisture.

I've seen a video of a different brand of synth chanter reed than I use, being dipped in water and then played. Moisture isn't an issue with synth chanter reeds, generally.

Good luck.