Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums

Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Instrument (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=345)
-   -   Drone Reed Issues & Advice sort (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168328)

Gruffalo 05-21-2019 05:33 AM

Drone Reed Issues & Advice sort

Hi,

Could someone make any suggestions of a Drone Reed Set that would work well with a 2004/5 set of Macleod Bagpipes. My current chanter sits at 474hz but others are usually in the 478Hz range. It is becoming quite difficult to obtain reeds I'm happy with as the pitch of more modern kit seems to sit around 486 ish. Advice appreciated please?

Gruffalo 05-21-2019 05:35 AM

Re: Drone Reed tip.

On Pipes Drums website 'Tips', there was a piece of advice by C.E Kron stating

"If your bass drone wants to roar when struck in, it might be riding high on the bottom pin. If so your reed might be too sharp. A quick fix, if time is short, is to put a bit of tape over a third to half of the bush at the top. This will flatten the drone and allow you to shorten by moving the middle joint down the bottom pin.

For the first time I'm trying to get MG White Mambas going, but the bass is certainly roaring!! I'm not sure what the tip means, can anyone advise please?
Thanks

el gaitero 05-21-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruffalo (Post 1337560)

For the first time I'm trying to get MG White Mambas going, but the bass is certainly roaring!! I'm not sure what the tip means, can anyone advise please?
Thanks

Tried setting the bass reed out about 1/4-3/8” out from the reed seat?

3D Piper 05-21-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what the tip means, can anyone advise please?
Thanks

The bush(ing) is the raised hole at the top of each drone:

https://www.hendersongroupltd.com/pa...e_anatomy2.gif

I've never heard of putting tape over it, though, that is a first for me..

-Matthew

el gaitero 05-21-2019 06:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Tried setting the bass reed out about 1/4-3/8” out from the reed seat?

?......reposted...?

DamhCabrachPiping 05-21-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3D Piper (Post 1337564)
The bush(ing) is the raised hole at the top of each drone:

https://www.hendersongroupltd.com/pa...e_anatomy2.gif

I've never heard of putting tape over it, though, that is a first for me..

-Matthew

I mean since we’re taping chanters... lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DamhCabrachPiping 05-21-2019 07:56 AM

Re: Drone Reed Issues & Advice sort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruffalo (Post 1337559)
Hi,

Could someone make any suggestions of a Drone Reed Set that would work well with a 2004/5 set of Macleod Bagpipes. My current chanter sits at 474hz but others are usually in the 478Hz range. It is becoming quite difficult to obtain reeds I'm happy with as the pitch of more modern kit seems to sit around 486 ish. Advice appreciated please?

Pull the reed out of the reed seat and/or adjust the tuning screws...

You can buy reed extenders as well.

Personally I’m running the new Kinnaird Edge reeds, I like them. Fully adjustable and easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenpipe 05-21-2019 12:59 PM

Don't want to hijack, but the thread seems to have meandered to where I can chime in

My band pipes are J&R Glen repros. I recently got a set of Selbies for them, and find that the sound is very big, brassy and fully integrated, everything that could be wanted in a band setting. Got them air efficient, balanced and set to tune 1/8th inch up on the hemp. But - I got a low volume extremely high pitched steady eeeeee sound from the tenors if even the slightest bit of air went through them before strike in, and I had to squeeze the bag down to less than half full at cutoffs, making strike ins and cutoffs more difficult than I was prepared to adjust to. Fiddling with the bridle made no difference other that making them less air efficient.

Answer: a bit of cobblers wax rubbed on the tongues as a dampener. No effect on tone, and clean cutoffs. Probably they'll need a wee rub from time to time, but that's no problem. I've heard that a dab of fingernail polish on the tongue will do the same thing. Has anyone had experience with that?

el gaitero 05-21-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenpipe (Post 1337576)

. I've heard that a dab of fingernail polish on the tongue will do the same thing. Has anyone had experience with that?

Sounds like a modern day take on the 2 centuries old hack of mashing a tiny bit of ‘black wax’ or drop of cane drone reed sealing wax on the tongue. It will probably do the trick ...or maybe a small mash of blu-tak.

Gruffalo 05-21-2019 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=DamhCabrachPiping;1337568]Pull the reed out of the reed seat and/or adjust the tuning screws...

You can buy reed extenders as well.

Never heard of reed extenders? are they specific to a particular type of reed or universal to all? Where could I obtain please?