View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Help Improving Band Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
I am always amazed, and saddened, at the pipers who continually show up at practice with a poorly maintained, poorly set up bagpipe. Tuning should not take very long, your bagpipe should be generally in, though may need a slight tweaking if a bit flat or sharp.
I'm sure this is the bane of every PM's existence...

I'm sure every PM has a different approach to tuning, which is why I've been hesitant to weigh in here. I think it's important to try to achieve a good sound at every practice. Ear training is important. Of course, in the real world, there's only so much time in each rehearsal, and getting musical work in is important, too.

I deal with it by trying NOT to have really intensive musical work to do in the last practice before a contest (that should be done in the weeks leading up to it). I am happy to spend more time at that last rehearsal getting the chanters as dialed in as I can. One must still be aware that conditions on the day are likely to be different.

Any tuning strategy relies on the competence of the people executing it, that it be well-suited to the setup and blowers that you have, and the conditions on the day. There will always be judgement calls involved. If there was one good solution, everyone would be using it...
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote